Jan 9 Update: Turf!

Ok so I have not played the game yet with this update but moving the turf got me thinking, as of right it seems that for example if you plant the hay section more beefalo do not spawn.

Will the beefalo only stay on hay? Could you in turn force them onto a small section and then make a path to where ever you want removing the sections once they move forward? it would take a while to repeat this step but herding them could be worth it?

Edited by speedcahs

Turf does seem to have some functionality beyond decoration:

- Ripping up enough swamp tiles seems to get rid of tentacles in that area (replacing the tiles in a new location will not spawn them back however).

- As someone else pointed out on this thread, you cannot plant on certain surfaces so replacing them with plant friendly surfaces could be useful.

- Tiles can also be used as fuel and used for research, assuming you don't care about losing them forever.

Ok so I have not played the game yet with this update but moving the turf got me thinking, as of right it seems that for example if you plant the hay section more beefalo do not spawn.

Will the beefalo only stay on hay? Could you in turn force them onto a small section and then make a path to where ever you want removing the sections once they move forward? it would take a while to repeat this step but herding them could be worth it?

Beefalo are not restricted to hay areas. You can already push them to other areas. Furthermore, they do not respawn.

I don't think you should be able to "dig" up swamp... and certainly not with intention to get rid of those awesomely dangerous tentacles. Or "dig" rock for that matter. Otherwise I sort of like it if it affects planting and spawns. I don't like the idea it encourages turtling, but hey I'm sure other stuff will help with that and if you've got nothing better to do, why not turf and make things nice and neat - could be a dapperness thing with the sanity meter.

Will the bare dirt tiles ever grow back to what they were? Because every time you do this you're going to end up with some in exchange, and enough times the land will go barren except for your recreated section. If barren landscapes add new terrifying monsters that crawl out, people might be less hesitant to go about ripping everything up. Also I wonder if having periodic threats will affect individual biomes as much as the entire world, forcing you to move to different places, or build them.

Edited by RealmZero

* New items will try to stack into existing backpack/equip stacks

This is not working for me. If I have a stack of grass in my backpack and I cut grass, it still goes into the available space in my inventory slots at the bottom. Or is this a different thing entirely?

This is not working for me. If I have a stack of grass in my backpack and I cut grass, it still goes into the available space in my inventory slots at the bottom. Or is this a different thing entirely?

Just to be sure, the stack in your backpack wasn't complete, right?

Just a heads up regarding typo fixes as of the Turf Update:

Wendy still says that "Darkness will be hear Soon," when Dusk falls. This line should be, "Darkness will be here Soon."

All hound-related items (Hound's Tooth, Dapper Vest, both flavors of Hounds) are still using the same placeholder message of "It's a... thing" for all characters.

Just a quick "oopsie report". Loving the update (and the game in general) and eagerly awaiting next week's "bigger" update.

I confirm this not working had 35 grass on my backpack picked up more just went to free inventory slot.

I'm beginning to wonder about the fixes that made-it-in-but-they-weren't-supposed-to-have.

Typos not fixed.

Birds in traps not fixed.

Items still don't stack nicely between your inventory and your backpack.

I know I have the update because I can dig up turf with a shovel, but these fixes that Kevin said weren't there while others claimed they were? I'm starting to think Kevin was right and it was Turf Only, No Bug Fixes.