Mena's Random Arts of Stuff and Things

MenaAthena

20171007_210843.thumb.jpg.91d9a4aa9dc13c38691c2044c0e7c06a.jpg

Day 7: Shy
Didn't have much time today. Couldn't muster up enough energy for a bigger piece anyway... again...

On the bright side, I've successfully completed a week of this! That's more than I ever thought I would realistically push myself for this, and I'll make myself keep going. I'm going to finish this.

20171008_224204.thumb.jpg.6f422d62f61967eba41032cdd71f4157.jpg

Day 8: Crooked

I... *sigh*, this one was not a good one for me. To start off with, I didn't really have any idea what I was going to do for this prompt aside from something generic like a tree or a politician. I ended up deciding I wanted to draw Gyro from a webcomic I recently read called Devil's Candy, but struggled to make it fit with the prompt (my attempts were the skewed framing and the wonky saw). Even then when I started, I wasn't happy with it, and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't happy with it. But by then it was getting too late to start over so I pushed with it. I did not have fun making this. The frustration of not liking it and being unable to figure out why, messing up what felt like almost every line with the brush pen, constantly making tiny mistakes. It may have turned out... ok, all things considered, but I didn't have a good time.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:28 AM, minespatch said:

I wonder what other things Swift facepalms about.

Kind of looks like a illustration in a fantasy novel in the 70s.

Hm... well... let me see...
- "When idiocy and jokering happens"
- "Spontaneous adoption attempt of [insert an enemy, NPC or animal here]" 
- "Actions that cause harm to friendly NPCs"
- "Actions that defy common sense and self-preservation instincts"
- Recent addition: "Feather Duster's antics"

20171010_195020.thumb.jpg.a7967837f04e408b6d7d0e0d9de23b6e.jpg

Day 10: Gigantic

The drawing itself for this one is, ironically enough, pretty small. I was planning on doing it on a large piece of paper like for some of the others, but after I started trying to draw it out on the larger paper, I got struck with a bout of laziness again and decided to just refine and ink the tiny planning sketch I did on a not-so-scribble-free piece of paper. 

20171011_225908.thumb.jpg.4a4dbd9a6bb6db4c83b5454ea384a199.jpg

Day 11: Run

did finish this yesterday, but the forums were down at that time and I couldn't wait for it to come back up because it was nearing midnight. 

I'm kind of proud of this one, even though the formatting could be better and she's just running in a white void. I've never drawn someone running before, so I looked up stuff and sketched out poses until I figured out how to do the one I wanted. Even then it took a good amount of erasing, redrawing, and back and forth with friends to get it to this, and I feel like I learned a good amount. I also tried to make my shading a bit bolder as I think I tend to go a tad too light sometimes. I like it.

Archived