Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

RGGDS

Brightness problem?

RGGDS    2

I am having a hard time playing with this brightness/contrast. I have already set my laptop's brightness to near maximum but this is the only game that doesn't do well with this settings. Any suggestion, help you anyone can provide me?

post-770179-0-18157700-1452403612_thumb.

RGGDS    2

Since I can't edit my post, here's another look at dusk. I literally can't see what I am stepping on.

post-770179-0-54530900-1452407068_thumb.

ImDaMisterL    20,021

The reason of that might actually be your (extremely) low sanity levels, since they add a grey and dark color to your vision, thus making it much harder to see in dusk.

RGGDS    2

The reason of that might actually be your (extremely) low sanity levels, since they add a grey and dark color to your vision, thus making it much harder to see in dusk.

I also noticed this, but even with a high sanity, dusk looks night already, I even used a lantern at night and its light radius is like a torch.

ImDaMisterL    20,021

I also noticed this, but even with a high sanity, dusk looks night already, I even used a lantern at night and its light radius is like a torch.

Hmm, that is pretty weird... so you messed around with your computer's brightness settings and with thr game's settings and it remains dark like that, right?

Perhaps a dev would be able to help you out more?

RGGDS    2

Hmm, that is pretty weird... so you messed around with your computer's brightness settings and with thr game's settings and it remains dark like that, right?

Perhaps a dev would be able to help you out more?

This is my DS' settings, my screen brightness is almost at maximum and it hurts my eyes when I do normal stuff, however still not enough to play dusk in Don't Starve.

post-770179-0-44720300-1452408938_thumb.

ImDaMisterL    20,021

This is my DS' settings, my screen brightness is almost at maximum and it hurts my eyes when I do normal stuff, however still not enough to play dusk in Don't Starve.

Hmm... no... I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more help, But I don't know how to help you with that.

I'll call upon the devs, though they will probably only see this and/or reply to it on Monday.

PeterA, could you help this guy out?

RGGDS    2

Just to further add details to my case, here is a comparison between my game and a screenshot of a youtube gameplay with the use of lantern at night.

post-770179-0-21315600-1452443943_thumb.

post-770179-0-28391100-1452443944_thumb.

nome    4,338

That definitely looks wrong! Unfortunately I'm not a rendering programmer - I do server side code - but I'm sure Peter will be all over it come Monday. Mark is no longer on DST as stream viewers may have noticed, he's working on Hot Lava.

Mobbstar    13,938

@nome, Off-topic: what's "hot lava"? I know a game called that, but I don't think you need coding in your floor...

Sorry if you said it on streams several times, I don't watch those. Google did not tell me what it is, only gave me shops..

imsomony    417

@Mobbstar, several months back Mark began prototyping a game called "Hot Lava", based on a childhood game where you pretend the floor is lava and you move around by jumping across furniture. The prototype became a reality, so most of his time is spent working on that now. I haven't seen a stream for a while, so I'm not sure where he at with it and/or if it's nearing an Alpha state.

PeterA    4,414

Hey @RGGDS, can you try enabling bloom and distortion?

Also can you try running in fullscreen and windowed mode. Is there a difference between them?

What platform at you running on Windows? or OSX?

Can you also try verifying your game cache in Steam. It's possible that the shader code/data is corrupted or changed by something.

My suspicion is that something in the colour cube post-process step isn't mapping the colour ranges properly. This could be due to a  graphics driver bug, have you updated your graphics drivers recently? What graphics card are you currently using?

RGGDS    2

Hey @RGGDS, can you try enabling bloom and distortion?

Also can you try running in fullscreen and windowed mode. Is there a difference between them?

What platform at you running on Windows? or OSX?

Can you also try verifying your game cache in Steam. It's possible that the shader code/data is corrupted or changed by something.

My suspicion is that something in the colour cube post-process step isn't mapping the colour ranges properly. This could be due to a  graphics driver bug, have you updated your graphics drivers recently? What graphics card are you currently using?

The past screenshots were in windowed mode. I enabled full-screen mode, bloom and distortion and the result is pretty much the same. However I must say that in other games my screen colour changes when played in full-screen and windowed mode.

I am currently running the game in Windows 8.1 and had updated my graphics drivers 2 days ago. My laptop uses Nvidia GeForce 840m as render and Intel® HD Graphics Family as display.

I've also taken this screenshot after verifying my game cache. (with bloom and distortion)

post-770179-0-78098900-1452562078_thumb.

PeterA    4,414

Thanks for providing that info @RGGDS. Can you try looking through your graphics driver settings to see if anything is manually being set?

Open up the NVIDIA Control Panel, and go to 3D Settings > Manager 3D Settings. Then under Program Settings look for Don't Starve, and make sure that nothing is getting overridden. You'll want to make sure that your geforce 940m is getting used instead of the intel HD chip.

For more details see the section Configure NVIDIA Control Panel if:

http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1854779-dst-is-crashing-dst-won-t-start

Hope this helps!

RGGDS    2

Thanks for providing that info @RGGDS. Can you try looking through your graphics driver settings to see if anything is manually being set?

Open up the NVIDIA Control Panel, and go to 3D Settings > Manager 3D Settings. Then under Program Settings look for Don't Starve, and make sure that nothing is getting overridden. You'll want to make sure that your geforce 940m is getting used instead of the intel HD chip.

For more details see the section Configure NVIDIA Control Panel if:

http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1854779-dst-is-crashing-dst-won-t-start

Hope this helps!

Hi I've checked the control panel and I think the settings are fine. It was auto-selecting use global settings(Nvidia) so I doubled check and went to select the Nvidia but the result is still the same. I even tried in DST version but there is no difference. 

post-770179-0-40446000-1452571711_thumb.

PeterA    4,414

@RGGDS, hmm on second inspection I believe that might actually be the correct illumination at night. The difference you're seeing is in the illumination between the RoG/DST lantern (which is fairly dim) and the Shipwrecked bottle lantern which is quite bright. I'm not sure about the design decision there unfortunately, but one could probably argue that the Shipwrecked bottle lantern needs to be scaled back slightly to be more inline with the RoG lantern. In your original two posts, it looks like the sanity drain,and darker forest background is what is making it so dark, which matches the game on my machine here too.

Z6siS51.jpg

One thing you can do though is combine the lantern and the miner hat for double the brightness. 

X4hfWmC.jpg

If you want to modify the game, what you'd want to do is modify mininglantern.lua, you change line 116 (it should have inst.Light:SetIntensity), to be inst.Light:SetIntensity(0.9). Your light will be nice and bright :)

Let me know if you'd like to publish that mod and either me or someone else in the mod community can help you with that!

Sorry I didn't realize this sooner.

RGGDS    2

@PeterA Well if there's no other choice I just might settle for the mod. Now to think about it, it might be a monitor settings that make the difference. Here's a screenshot that my friend took from his desktop but using DST.

post-770179-0-44502900-1452576056_thumb.