Hi there!

I wanted to ask about the LAN features of DST. The issue is that I am not able to play LAN at all. We do not see each other.

Funny thing is that we are connected via Ethernet Cable, we are in the same Home Group, sharing of files/musics/pics works fine, we DO see each other in different games like Counter Strike, Diablo 2 and Need for Speed and our servers ARE listed on the LAN servers list in those games. The problem is only with DST.

command c_connect '192.168.0.1' does not work either.

I even turned the firewall off, enabled all ports, ran he game with admin rights, added rules...all in vain.

I've sent an email to Klei Support - no response whatsoever.

Is there anyone else struggling with LAN games? Has anyone encoutered this issue and solved it?

We do see each other on Internet Servers however due to very slow internet connection the lags are huge and it is impossible to play the game together over the internet.

I'm dying to play it with friends over LAN... but I can't.

Help please!

@PinkMachine, I don't have any personal experience with starting up a DST server between two PCs connected via cross cable LAN nor have I the means to test it on my own. 

I'll have to pass this thread along to @JanH, I think he may be able to help get you a workaround or at the very least an answer regarding your situation. 

Sorry JanH for pulling you in, I'm stumped on this one...

I have enabled this port UDP and TCP as well in firewall rules, both for incoming and outgoing connections. Maybe the port has changed and it is not using a default one now?

Shouldn't switching the firewall off solve the issue? Because when it is swtiched off the issue persists...

• Developer

That's definitely weird if the problem persisted with the firewall off. The settings.ini file allows ports to be overridden, but if you're not doing that then I really can't guess what the problem might be - log.txt from both machines immediately after an attempt would be the next thing I'd recommend.

• Developer
Where can i find it? This log file?

PC: Go to your Documents folder at Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/log.txt

Mac: Go to your Documents folder at ~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/log.txt

Linux: Go to your Klei folder at ~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/log.txt

:D

Sure!

Just a second ago I gave another try and... nothing. Firewall turned off, 10999 port added as an exceptional rule anyway, PCs connected via cross Ethernet Cable, both in a same Home Group where file sharing works. Before running DST we tried playing Diablo 2 Lord of Destrucion via LAN, PC1 hosted a game, PC2 connected to PC1 via TCP/IP by entering "connect 192.168.0.1". All worked.

In DST as usual, nothing is displayed on the LAN servers list and command 'c_connect 192.168.0.1' after some 15 seconds says "connection timeout.".

Files you asked for attached below.

log1.txt

log2.txt

• Developer

Ooh, are you trying to do an online game where only one of the PCs is online by any chance? Wondering if maybe the hosting machine has internet, goes into online mode (only accepts connections from other online computers) but then the second computer in offline mode tries to connect and fails?

@nome Both PCs have been cut off from any external connections apart from Cross Ethernet Cable that connected them both together. None of them has access to the internet ; C On the Login Screen there is no option to go Online without internet so DST on both machines is in Offline Mode (top right corner of the screen). The server is also created on 'Local Only, Offline' mode... Does the log say anything else?

@Jonarobin Thank you for your opinion. I know it is possible. If it is something wrong with my PC please tell my what. You said it is working flawlessy on your PC. Would you mind sharing your Connection settings, provide me with a step by step guide to connect two PCs so they see each other in DST? Maybe that would help?

Another update : I have just downloaded any other Steam Game as I thought that Diablo 2 LOD is not game on their platform and it could make a difference... I have found a free LAN game a chose a first from a list. 'Fistful of Frags' is the title that I have downloaded on both PC. Without changing anything I have just created a server on PC1 and went to server lists > lan on PC2. Guess what? My server was there. PC could see one another immediately. We played about 10 mins to check the quality of connection - flawless. No firewall issues, no ports enabling, no settings changing. Ran smoothly as it is expected.

Then I attempted DST... no changes whatsoever. Afterwards I have disabled mods and tried one more time - same story. Then I removed DST from both machines and installed once again, patched, confirmed that both PCs run the same version of the game. Made a files check through steam to make sure the game has been installed correctly. I have run the game one more time. Same story.

I am really tired at this point. Why is it the only game that does not want to run on LAN?

(attaching another log file, hope it provides an answer to this issue...)

log.txt

8 hours ago, PinkMachine said:

@nome Both PCs have been cut off from any external connections apart from Cross Ethernet Cable that connected them both together. None of them has access to the internet ; C On the Login Screen there is no option to go Online without internet so DST on both machines is in Offline Mode (top right corner of the screen). The server is also created on 'Local Only, Offline' mode... Does the log say anything else?

@Jonarobin Thank you for your opinion. I know it is possible. If it is something wrong with my PC please tell my what. You said it is working flawlessy on your PC. Would you mind sharing your Connection settings, provide me with a step by step guide to connect two PCs so they see each other in DST? Maybe that would help?

I'm sorry I'm really not well versed enough with computers to know what those would be, I don't know what your problem was, I was just saying that it is possible... All we really had to do (and this was last month and my uncle I was playing with is in a different state now) was connect the ethernet cable and it worked... Unless my uncle changed some settings I wasn't aware of...

• Developer

@PinkMachine Could you open a command prompt on each of the two computers, and run "ipconfig", and post the output here? Could you also try running a dedicated server on one of the computers using the following instructions, and then try to connect to it on each computer?

In the steam client under Library->Tools, install the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server.

After it has been installed, right click on it and click properties, and then "Set launch options". Enter: -offline -console -conf_dir DST_Dedicated

Once the two computers are directly connected, as before, run the dedicated server by right clicking it, and clicking "Play Game..." (Don't use the preconfigured servers option)

Try to connect to the dedicated server using the LAN tab under "Browse Games" on each computer, and then afterwards, post the log files from each computer, and the log file for the dedicated server here. The log file for the dedicated server will be located at Documents/Klei/DST_Dedicated/log.txt on the computer that the dedicated server was run. If it is not there, try running the test again, and it should appear.

@255 Hi there, I have just tried all the steps above and... nothing new came up. PC that hosts dedicated can connect to it, second PC that does not host dedicated cannot as there is nothing on the LAN server lists in game.

All files you asked for added below. I hope it gets us closer to solving this mystery. Your involvement is much appreciated.

IPCONFIG 2nd PC.PNG

log 2nd PC.txt

IPCONFIG 1st PC HOST.PNG

log Dedicated 1st PC HOST.txt

log 1st PC HOST.txt

• Developer

Could you try the following, and post the output here?

On each computer, open a command prompt, and type: ping -n 50 192.168.1.?     (Replacing 192.168.1.? with the address of the other computer) 

this is getting very technical, but here is a quick tip: make sure to check both tabs (lan and online) in the server browser of the not-hosting computer, because I've had lan servers show up on the regular server browser section before. Otherwise, good luck, haha! You can always try using a router as a go-between of your two pcs.

@Snowhusky5 thanks for a reply. I have checked both tabs but lan server did not come up. 

When it comes to buying a router it seems a little bit pointless. Buying a device that costs as much as a game itself to play on lan? All other games work perfectly on those pcs...

Is it only dont starve together being THAT special, requiring a separate device to run lan?

Anyway thanks for contributing. I will wait for @255 reply...

• Developer

Agreed. I'm sure you're very frustrated. I'll speak to Kris and see if we can come up with any other theories as to what might be going wrong for you. If not, we might give you a special build with increased logging or something.

Archived