Heartless Skies

Battal

Well, I want to put a lot of effort into making the difficulty scale well.  So even players who are new to the genre can hop in and not get completely destroyed.  For that reason, I want to make the bosses that appear at the beginning of the game generate with easier attacks and bullet patterns.

The easiest attack I can think of is aimless bullets. It leaves plenty of gaps and the trajectories are completely predictable. Similiarly, the easiest laser attack I can think of is laserwalling, as it is regular and as such easier to figure out. It is also the only laser-type attack I can avoid getting hit by :p

Alright, Level 1 Part 1 is done and Part 2 is well underway.  I've been working on improving various internal mechanics, like completely revamping the particle system and making it so environments augment gameplay more.  For example, inside Labs various attacks (Like the Crystal Monstrosity's crystals) will destroy the sciency things on the sides, turning them into dangerous obstacles you have to avoid.  I've also added 3 new primary attacks; a pretty inaccurate machine gun which shoots rapidly at the area around the player, a shotgun which fires waves of bullets, and a new kind of bullet which curves around in a spiral.  My stubborn sister refuses to playtest unless I do her chores for her, though, so it's not very balanced yet.  Hopefully the balance will get better once I release it to the public.

crystal.png

illuminator.png

nova.png

breakable.png

My ultimate goal is to make the bosses feel more cinematic and epic, like it wasn't just generated, but was carefully handmade and unique.  So far, I'm still working on it, but it should turn out pretty fun if all goes well.

update!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cbphztm19xn88c/Heartless Skies.exe?dl=0

~ Added Level 1 Parts One and Two.

That's half an hour of gameplay, for me at least.

~ Dialogue (very unfinished, placeholder writing.  Press Z to progress chat)

~ A bunch of enemies (HU5Ks, Shurikens, Lazer Emitters, variants)

~ Evil labs

~ Respawning (Press C to do so)

~ Asteroids

~ Worms

~ Worms In Asteroids

~ Updated Particle Effects (may be glitchy or unfinished in some spots)

~ Two new bosses!

~ A conveniently placed button to access an old boss!

~ Lots of balancing issues!

~ Solved some balancing issues!

~ Added some new primary attacks!

~ A really really REALLY unfinished Codex!

~ Automatic shooting!

~ Hopefully fixed some lag!

~ Sweet new buttons!

~ Room transitions!

~ Breakable Science!

~ Now with next-gen 3D HD graphics!  (not really)

Bug Reports:

• When viewing a codec item, there's no apparent way to close it again without using escape->menu.
  • When starting level 1_2, I got stuck with the first line of dialogue... IDK if I did anything wrong trying to move and shoot during the cutscene.
  • When leaving to the menu, the music keeps playing. Starting a level again, the music still keeps playing and the new track also starts playing.
  • When closing the game, it crashed (technically working as intended)

2 minutes ago, Mobbstar said:

Bug Reports:

• When viewing a codec item, there's no apparent way to close it again without using escape->menu.
  • When starting level 1_2, I got stuck with the first line of dialogue... IDK if I did anything wrong trying to move and shoot during the cutscene.

Did you press Z?  :p

7 minutes ago, Battal said:

Did you press Z?  :p

Yes.

No.

Anyways, I enjoyed arena mode so far, until an illumator came around with a ton of fat bouncy bullets and spammed the screen with tons of particle effects. At first it was just fine, but then lag became apparent, eventually I even got an "out of memory" exception O.o Don't you clean up properly behind expired particles?

Yeah, particles are still a bit of a mess.  Each bullet creates a particle system every time it spawns, but doesn't delete it afterwards, which causes a bunch of lag.  I'm going to have an object which creates all the systems once, and then doesn't have to again until another room gets loaded.

Well, the campain is great fun so far! However, I noticed three more things:

• The music doesn't loop. It just stops at some point.
  • At the beginning "default" is talking, later it's "bl0ck". I am not sure about "default" even being a character XD
  • After beating the red guys conga:
    of Create Event
    for object pathstart:
    global variable bossMotion(100006, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
    at gml_Object_pathstart_Create_0
    ###########################################################

5AsHujF5AsHujF.gif

bugs

I finished Part 3 of Level One, and am working on a bunch of optimization stuffs (Should have removed all particle-related bugs and framerate drops).  I think I'll end this one at Part Five.

Archived