Heartless Skies

Battal

Sorry about the lack of real, substantial updates; I've been extremely busy lately.  I've been reaching out to the local game dev community, working on Heartless Skies, and animating for Up and Away, all while doing all kinds of spring break shenanigans.  It's been...a bit of a mess.

That said, I do have a few updates to bring you.  I'm happy (and surprised) to say that I have implemented quite a few important game mechanics, such as textboxes, level layout and design, and have gotten the generator itself to work in coordination with those things.  That might not sound like much, but it's serious progress.  I've already gotten a ton of assets ready for the first level, such as enemies, waves, patterns, obstacles, etc; now it's time to put them all together, and really start making a game!

For this reason, I have decided that I'm nearing the point where I'm going to stop putting out free downloads of the game.  While I have considered making the game free-to-play, I still haven't settled on a price yet, and with the amount of effort I'm putting in now I feel it's the right decision.  The last public download will be the first real level of the game; after that I will continue putting out info and updates; but I'll only be sending the game itself to people that have been especially helpful in development so far (e.i Mobbstar.)

Until then, have this screenshot.

gwyrm.thumb.png.99c8ee8dd0f2f7700a0bc4d9

Cool

"some kind of enormous lifeform out there"

You mean "alien", right? There's a word for that, you know? The only information you have given me is that a big creature exists. You're not a particularly helpful on-board computer. Computer, mute the audio channel "computer"!

On 1/5/2016 at 0:55 AM, Lord_Battal said:

You remember how I made that boss generator and said I might do something with it?  I'm doing something with it.

Q4ATYpt.gif

Whereas the original was clunky, slow, not very diverse, and hard to work with, I've used my new knowledge of coding to design a way better system.  But since you won't be able to see all that stuff in the actual game, here's the things you will see;

Fully animated sprites:  Every boss has its own set of animations for when it attacks, appears, taunts, and dies.  Goodbye crappy shapes that look like they were drawn by a two-year-old!

Tons more attacks and movement patterns.  Since the framework is so much better, I can easily add new primary attacks, special attacks and movement patterns.  This current version has over 30 special abilities, 9 paths, and 6 base bullet patterns.  In addition to this, each boss appearance has a special ability for when they get low health; Crystals will drop explosive shards, Saucers will suck in bullets, Illuminators will (ironically) darken the room, so on and so forth.  These abilities also change up the special and base attacks, making the bosses much more diverse.  There are over five million potential boss fights.

Improved GUIs and information: As you can see in the GIF, bosses actual have health bars, and names which let you know their attacks and bullet patterns.

Secrets:  There are two hidden bosses in the game.  Can you find them?

Dropping the advertisement act, I am really serious about making this into a game.  I can do the code, but I'm really amateur when it comes to balancing and stuff, so feedback is appreciated.  Feel free to give me ideas for boss designs and attacks, all that stuff helps.  I'll be sure to keep updating this with my progress.

I've attached the latest version, give it a play if you want.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uaq3iu69cnya5tf/Heartless%20Skies%20v2.7.1.exe?dl=0

all i read was

free game

sign me up

Archived