A serious gaming topic for NERDS \(▨_▨¬\)

greenglacier

Well,excuuuuuse me, princess. An rts game is a strategy game and I put strategy there. On the other side I have noticed you guys if your favorite game isn't there post yours. However, aside all those things you just decided that none of the mentioned is fitting for your criterias which is not true. At least you named your fav game that's good. Chillax bro. These are just games.

Ohh no good sir RTS is it's own thing.

As strategie i declare games in the course of Turnbasedgames (like Civ), 4X Strategie games, Management games (stuff like Anno or Dungeon Keeper) and obviously RTS games.

Also you listed Strategie as game type while stuff like RTS and Turnbased games are Genres so there is also a differentiation in that.

Ohh no good sir RTS is it's own thing.

As strategie i declare games in the course of Turnbasedgames (like Civ), 4X Strategie games, Management games (stuff like Anno or Dungeon Keeper) and obviously RTS games.

Also you listed Strategie as game type while stuff like RTS and Turnbased games are Genres so there is also a differentiation in that.

Well, good ol' Wikipedia says rts is a strategy genre but if you insist I can add it to the list.

Cheese! When I suggested those games, I was saying that you can't make everybody happy, just take the entire third question down and let people post their fav game of all time.

Besides, the votes are mostly carried over from the old layout. Thus all data is unuseable anyways.

Cool.

D-Do you know Tom Francis? H-He's a p-pretty good game dev. GunPoint is penned by him. He's working on "Heat Signature" now, and in case you missed it, I...

a87.gif

And "heat" obviously means temperature, because it's about stealth in space, and space is a cold place, and hot things in space aren't very stealthy.

I guess somebody is going to post about Fallout or Rebirth soon, but those games have their own threads, so maybe this is a good opportunity to compare those games and mention smaller ones. Really small ones. Ones you have never heard of. Sp icy!

GunPoint

Gotta try that game one day.

I guess somebody is going to post about Fallout or Rebirth soon, but those games have their own threads, so maybe this is a good opportunity to compare those games and mention smaller ones.

Straight.

Really small ones. Ones you have never heard of. Sp icy!

Mah fav game. 10 outta 10. Game of the year! 

I am currently playing through the Elder Scrolls series, minus the Travels games and Online. I finished The Elder Scrolls 1: Arena a few months back. What was once merely an archaic relic of the times now means so much more to me.

Arena isn't even recognizable to Redguard, let alone Skyrim. The Khajiit are humans with makeup, one of the Nine Divines is Ebonarm, there's a Brotherhood of Seth (who the hell is Seth?) and you'll find many elves named Legolas. It's D&D, not Elder Scrolls. The controls are horrid by today's standards, the game is hard to look at, the dungeons are a bit of a pain at times, and enemies may kill you before you can react, even when you get into the higher levels.

But I loved it. The quests were repetitive, but you went from lowly prison rat to a true Eternal Champion. Every area you entered had a wonderful description, and while I can't remember a single NPC's name, traversing the cities of not just Cyrodiil, or Morrowind, but all of Tamriel, had an enchanting effect of adventure; and for what do I play games if it's not for the sense of adventure? I knew that there was no real difference between provinces, besides architecture and citizen models, but I couldn't help feeling excited nonetheless, going to exotic lands such as Elseweyr or Argonia. I found myself sucked in.

Every main quest dungeon had a different appearance, from the stone walls of Labyrinthian, to the underground city of Elden Grove, and the foggy mists that surround the grim forest that is called Murkwood. They were long and complicated; I looked at a map to stay on task. There are no puzzles, but riddles; the riddles aren't too hard, aren't too easy; just right.

I still remember finishing the game, because I had stayed home from school due to sickness. I made it my mission to finish the game that day, and when I did, I felt both glad and sad, both for the same reason: because I was done. There was no reason to continue, no "ultimate goal" for my hero. I just liked to imagine him taking respite in his hometown of Rihad for the rest of his days.

But it was the first time I ever stuck through a game despite its terrible controls, despite its now incredibly apparent age. And now, whenever people say that Arena isn't worth it, I know that, from personal experience, I have the power to disagree.

Now I'm on Daggerfall, approaching the end of the main quest. A daunting task, this one is. So large in every way possible. 

Don't just stop on Skyrim or Oblivion, guys. I think the Elder Scrolls series is unique in that there really is no bad Elder Scrolls game. I mean, it's all up to personal tastes, of course. But in the eight that have been developed, not a one can be accused of lacking style, taste, and cohesion. It's been a labor of love, from then to now.

I am currently playing through the Elder Scrolls series, minus the Travels games and Online. I finished The Elder Scrolls 1: Arena a few months back. What was once merely an archaic relic of the times now means so much more to me.

Arena isn't even recognizable to Redguard, let alone Skyrim. The Khajiit are humans with makeup, one of the Nine Divines is Ebonarm, there's a Brotherhood of Seth (who the hell is Seth?) and you'll find many elves named Legolas. It's D&D, not Elder Scrolls. The controls are horrid by today's standards, the game is hard to look at, the dungeons are a bit of a pain at times, and enemies may kill you before you can react, even when you get into the higher levels.

But I loved it. The quests were repetitive, but you went from lowly prison rat to a true Eternal Champion. Every area you entered had a wonderful description, and while I can't remember a single NPC's name, traversing the cities of not just Cyrodiil, or Morrowind, but all of Tamriel, had an enchanting effect of adventure; and for what do I play games if it's not for the sense of adventure? I knew that there was no real difference between provinces, besides architecture and citizen models, but I couldn't help feeling excited nonetheless, going to exotic lands such as Elseweyr or Argonia. I found myself sucked in.

Every main quest dungeon had a different appearance, from the stone walls of Labyrinthian, to the underground city of Elden Grove, and the foggy mists that surround the grim forest that is called Murkwood. They were long and complicated; I looked at a map to stay on task. There are no puzzles, but riddles; the riddles aren't too hard, aren't too easy; just right.

I still remember finishing the game, because I had stayed home from school due to sickness. I made it my mission to finish the game that day, and when I did, I felt both glad and sad, both for the same reason: because I was done. There was no reason to continue, no "ultimate goal" for my hero. I just liked to imagine him taking respite in his hometown of Rihad for the rest of his days.

But it was the first time I ever stuck through a game despite its terrible controls, despite its now incredibly apparent age. And now, whenever people say that Arena isn't worth it, I know that, from personal experience, I have the power to disagree.

Now I'm on Daggerfall, approaching the end of the main quest. A daunting task, this one is. So large in every way possible.

Don't just stop on Skyrim or Oblivion, guys. I think the Elder Scrolls series is unique in that there really is no bad Elder Scrolls game. I mean, it's all up to personal tastes, of course. But in the eight that have been developed, not a one can be accused of lacking style, taste, and cohesion. It's been a labor of love, from then to now.

Wow, seems like we run into a real fan of TES series. It was very intriguing to read your comment. Thank you. I might consider playing the series backwards. Do you know if all TES games are available for PC?

Archived