DragonMage's Drawing Pad

DragonMage156

Eyy. Idk if I told you guys but a few days ago I got an idea for how to start Red's backstory and I just quickly whipped something up now (yes, that means you have to read this instead of the usual visual you just have to glance at).

I would have drawn a picture but... y'know, this is a draft and I only wrote it now so...

Ria’s Anthro Origins

It was a warm sunny morning on the country side. The wind blew gently, caressing the fur of a figure standing by. He looked up at a lone tree with a nostalgic look in his eyes. Many different feelings surfaced as memories started replaying in his mind. His gaze lowered and set on what looked like a burrow, long since abandoned.

The figure walked up by the tree, feeling the bark on his paws as he looked around his old home… and his first real home. He walked around the tree and came across a small tattered fort. “Oh… it’s still here” he said, a smile on his face. It’s too small for him now but he remembered the days when it was a perfect size. “I remember those days…” he looked up at the sky as his mind flashed back… right at the very beginning.

---

Any feedback is appreciated and remember: I draw way better than I write ^^;

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

Any feedback is appreciated

cracks knuckles

ho boi here we go

1. "He looked...", "His gaze...", "He walked", "The figure..."; you start too many sentences with him.
  2. "He remembered...", "I remember..."; again, you repeat yourself. Repeating phrases in a lyrical way is very difficult, only experienced poets can properly apply this technique to put emphasis on something without annoying the reader.
  3. "it was a perfect size"; just a little nitpick: either "a perfect fit" or "of/at perfect size", I think.
  4. Why did you start off by describing the scene and feelings with lots of adjectives, only to then tell the happenings in a cold, factual way without adjectives at all?
  5. Noice Voicabulary!
  6. The title needs fixing. At least the reader knows what to expect, I suppose...

Okay, I will leave it at that for now. *vanishes behind cloak*

Edited by Mobbstar
grammar
  • Like 1

I'd give you some feed back but Mobb beat me to it (plus I could never give that good of feedback honestly). I would just say that if you ever write something a little longer with more dialogue try to steer a bit away from the word said, make sure not to use it too many times in a row.

Edited by geni0529
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Story feels incomplete. Maybe writing the title as a chapter would help.

1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

cracks knuckles

ho boi here we go

1. "He looked...", "His gaze...", "He walked", "The figure..."; you start too many sentences with him.
  2. "He remembered...", "I remember..."; again, you repeat yourself. Repeating phrases in a lyrical way is very difficult, only experienced poets can properly apply this technique to put emphasis on something without annoying the reader.
  3. "it was a perfect size"; just a little nitpick: either "a perfect fit" or "of/at perfect size", I think.
  4. Why did you start off by describing the scene and feelings with lots of adjectives, only to then tell the happenings in a cold, factual way without adjectives at all?
  5. Noice Voicabulary!
  6. The title needs fixing. At least the reader knows what to expect, I suppose...

Okay, I will leave it at that for now. *vanishes behind cloak*

7 minutes ago, geni0529 said:

I'd give you some feed back but Mobb beat me to it (plus I could never give that good of feedback honestly). I would just say that if you ever write something a little longer with more dialogue try to steer a bit away from the word said, make sure not to use it too many times in a row.

Thanks guys. Like I said, I'm better with comics than written stories :p trial and error I suppose. I could always ask my mum for help. She's pretty good at writing.

Title: Woops. I was supposed to give it a sub-title labeling it as Red's backstory in some way.

Repeated phrases and sentence starters: I've always been bad with that. Luckily this is a rough draft. Though I should have proof-read it before posting since one of them could have been avoided ^^;

"Perfect size": I think I was thinking of alternate ways to express that part. Again, could have been avoided.

Lack of adjectives: I'm bad with describing scenes, despite the good start.

5. Thanks ^_^

Well I'll try to improve and get more peoples opinion to improve it further. Alternatively, I could turn this into a comic but I don't wanna abandon Fallen Down like I did with Wilson meets Red :?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

I should have proof-read it

You didn't proof-read, nor let anyone else proof-read? (Assuming this weren't proof-reading, of course.) That certainly explains the quantity of little nitpicks I found.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

You didn't proof-read, nor let anyone else proof-read? (Assuming this weren't proof-reading, of course.) That certainly explains the quantity of little nitpicks I found.

I haven't written anything in a while as you can probably tell XD the fact that I don't even proof read my posts everytime says a lot too.

I'm considering writing Red's backstory in 1st person (Red's POV) but at the same time I think I should write it in 3rd person since the story is centered around Red and Fluffy and later moves onto a different character entirely. I just want to get an opinion on whether it's the best way to go or not.

8 hours ago, Starthefox said:

I like the idea of a salamander charater. Just a tip on scales tho, for your art style a few patches of scales here and there instead of all over the body can make the salamander look more clean, and less crowded.

Well the toy he's based off has a few patches on the back. Should I remove those?

6 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

I opt for Rico as in Gecko, eventhough salamanders are actually amphibians and not reptiles and thus about as related to geckos as to crocodiles or tortoises.

Ah Rico does sound like a good name... but would it fit or make sense? Just so you know, the salamander is Otto's crazy friend :p

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 11:41 AM, DragonMage156 said:

I'll take some rl pictures later so you can see what he looks like.

Aw I forgot to do this... OH WELL!

Remembered when I started a status update about Space Boy? Well I don't care if you didn't, I'm posting this shipping trash anyway XD

Amiver - Space Boy (Oliver and Amy) :

amiver__space_boy__by_dragonmage156-dbhh

Yes I ship these two ^^;

And a bit of Augmented Reality (it's a technology that exists where you wear these glasses and things are generated into your vision. It's better with the Mage Mod :p )

augmented_reality_by_dragonmage156-dbhh3

Finally, my persona can finally be brought to life! ^_^ (... kinda).

I recommend giving Space Boy a read. You will not be disappointed (and be able to understand half of what I'm rambling on about XD) http://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/space-boy/list?title_no=400

Oh yeah, the comic ^^;

Fallen Down Part 2 (2 of 2): The Rescue

fallen_down_part_2__2_of_2___the_rescue_

Colourful 0u0

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

Isn't that literally the actual scene but with Ori instead of the fallen child?

Yeah, for a while the dialogue's gonna remain around the same, except a few changes. For example, Ori's not a human so obviously some dialogue will have to be changed ;)

For now though, I gotta finish all those DS, ONI and OC drawings I did in the process XD

• Like 1

i_iz_haz_a_rock__by_dragonmage156-dbhnxw

The original version of that Spore potato cup things I posted a while ago.

And now for some Rakuen fanart - Bufkus:

bufkus_by_dragonmage156-dbj64ql.jpg

P-Dog:

p_dog_by_dragonmage156-dbj64qp.jpg

(These would make more sense if you've played the game).

Ori meets a Leeble:

ori_meets_leeble_by_dragonmage156-dbj64q

I can't help but point out how similar they are :p

Puchi:

puchi__rakuen_world_version__by_dragonma

Cos who doesn't like a winged dog ^_^

Oh yah, and some OC shipping:

that_look_by_dragonmage156-dbj64rt.jpg

Kinda based it off a screenshot from Tangled (from memory).

"That look he gives you"

• Like 2