This is what happens when people pirate games.......

Starvation

"All the code needed to actually play the game is hosted online, and we can tell the illegitimate copies from the paid copies because we've just told you that we know most of the signups are for illegitimates, but we'd rather take the game down entirely than block those accounts we know are running illegitimate copies of the game." ...is what http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/4/3727240/battle-dungeon-ios-game-pulled-piracy boils down to.

Yeesh.

Since they obviously know which ones aren't paid copies, they should just block them (a trivial matter) and get on with serving their actual customers (ie, the ones who paid for the game) because anyone who didn't pay doesn't matter.

Edited by JDOgre

Piracy is the last thing that stays between players and companies, in a good way, i think they spare me a lot of money giving the "possibility" to "try" a game before buying it, and not ending to buy bad games with good marketing that I played 10 min. before deleted it.

A link to the support page on the forums [edit]on page 7 of the game's thread and not even linked to in the OP[/edit] hardly counts. Everyone pays for those games electronically. It's not difficult to refund the charges.

I don't play iPad games and I'm not really familiar with how users go about finding them, but honestly how many people log onto the touch arcade forums looking for refunds for a game by Hunted Cow Studios?

Edited by K_J

Problem here is

1. No beta / demo

2. They launched a week ago ( if they blocked all non paying accounts after 4-7 day,s of use ) stating demo ended

They could have sold a lot more copies

3. Everything server side * server side IA omg ( if it was local it would not have taxed there servers )

4. Pirate,s will always be there ( especial on mobile devices <<kids cant afford to pay a phone + games

So yea in a sens they killed themselves

Tough i think its bad to ( FULLY ) play a pirated game

I pirate every game there is on the p.c

Play it for 30 min - 2 h ( and if i like it ill buy it )

Sins there are hardly any demo,s any more the only way to get a peek is to download the pirated copy

Best was if devs made a demo 2-4 weeks b4 release ( then every one could download / play that )

End would get a lot of players that like it to buy it on release :)

The problem isn't piracy.. it's cheap people who either don't understand the work it takes to make something like a game or just don't care.

Personally I like to "try before I buy". Some examples of games I've pirated: Hotline Miami, FTL, Project Zomboid and yes, Don't Starve. I downloaded them all via torrents.

I also bought all 4 of them the same day I downloaded them.

A good game is worth buying because I like good games. Since I want to see more good, original games I don't mind paying.

Some people just don't understand that game devs make games so they (wait for it....) don't starve.

IMO most people who pirate games without paying have prolly never lived on their own and therefor don't understand what it's like to really need money. Or maybe they ARE living on their own and understand all too well what it's like to need money... AKA sincerely cannot afford them. And if you can't afford to buy it anyway is there really any harm in playing it?

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's kind of a complex issue. Sure it sucks when things like this happens, but piracy doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

I'm of the opinion that there are enough people like me out there that piracy shouldn't really be an issue to a game dev.

Alas, I'm not a game dev so I can't really say for sure though.

Just my 2 cents.

I know for PR's sake they probably won't comment, but I would love to hear Klei's thoughts on this.

EDIT: Only just noticed my minor necro. Whatever, necromancers are awesome anyway.

Edited by urteem

I don't think Piracy is a bad thing. Mostly people install pirated games because they either cannot afford it, or trying to see if it's worth to pay it.

And of course, i pirated Don't Starve. I will of course perhaps donate some couple o' dollars in the future or buy it.

Because the reason is i simply cannot afford it, you see, i'm under a money crisis me and my family has. So i hope you respect that.

But i honestly do not think pirated games are a big issue in my opinion.