Sign in to follow this  
TheHomeChicken

Controller Support?

Is there any way to play with a controller at the moment? Whether it's internal or an external program. (By that i mean, if it's built in or you need a program to do it.) If not, or it isn't internal, are there any plans to make it controller supported?

Edit: And since someone was saying that it wouldn't work because it's a Point and Click game (Even though there are keyboard controls as well, without ever needing the mouse.) Let's just say this, using an XBox controller:

Layout

PC Control Scheme

Left Stick: Move

Up/Down on D-Pad: Zooming in and out.

Left/Right on D-Pad: Turning camera

Right/Left Bumpers (Front buttons on Top): Move through the hotbar.

X: The same as Right Click.

A: Attack and Pickup things. Left Click, essentially.

Start: Open options

Select: Map

Am i missing anything? ;3

Edited by TheHomeChicken

eddie10089    18

It's obviously made for it, but a controller wouldn't hurt anything. Super Meat Boy uses a controller and a keyboard control scheme.

Well the devs can add that in future updates

This game is made for mouse and keyboard controls being mostly a point and click.

It's obviously made for it, but a controller wouldn't hurt anything. Super Meat Boy uses a controller and a keyboard control scheme.

- - - Updated - - -

in Steam it never said it had controller support so no you can't play with a controller.

I know, that's why i brought up External Programs. With games like The Binding of Isaac and Minecraft, it isn't said to have controller support. (Minecraft isn't in Steam, but it still has no mention.) but there are programs that make it fairly simple.

Let me ask how would you pick grass cut trees pick stuff, farm and fight without being broken with a controller.

You are aware that Don't Starve does have built in keyboard controls, right? Multiple control schemes are possible, so there is no reason to not have controller support. As for how you would do that, there is normally an "Action Button" with every game, on controller. Like, on PS3, the X button is the action button, normally, which you do most things with. It would probably be like that.

Like you said, Don't Starve is played mostly with point/click, which doesn't require much control. So you probably wouldn't even use many buttons with a controller. All the more reason.

Let me ask how would you pick grass cut trees pick stuff, farm and fight without being broken with a controller.

Also, i edited the OP just for you. :]

- - - Updated - - -

You can use a controller as a mouse and assign keys to the button. The link below has instructions.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-an-Xbox-360-controller-as-a-mouse/

Oh, nice. I'll check this out.

BarovSoap    878

I personally prefer mouse and keyboard but it does seem easy enough to do. Spacebar does auto action within a distance of each object. Fight without a spear would be difficult though because the lock on from auto will not attack when wielding tools only spear.

I personally prefer mouse and keyboard but it does seem easy enough to do. Spacebar does auto action within a distance of each object. Fight without a spear would be difficult though because the lock on from auto will not attack when wielding tools only spear.

Well. that's something they could set up in the files.

IHateSpiders    10

I think it will make the game harder, as least as far as fighting is concerned, but I could be wrong. Other than fighting, I actually don't think it'd make much of a difference. People are always trying to find ways to make the game more challenging anyway <w< >w>

I think it will make the game harder, as least as far as fighting is concerned, but I could be wrong. Other than fighting, I actually don't think it'd make much of a difference. People are always trying to find ways to make the game more challenging anyway <w< >w>

Actually if you think about it , it wouldn't be much different , it might even be easier , because you could just walk up and press an attack button , it would also make catching things in bug nets because you can get close and instead of clicking on the things you just press a button for it.