[Graphics] Sudden FPS lag when scrolling through the crafting menu

Iking

Please choose a category
*Pick the option that fits the issue the most. Ideally use this in your thread title aswell*

[Graphics]

Platform

Steam

Do you use mods? 

No

Version Number
Rev. 151567 

Issue title

Sudden FPS lag when scrolling through the crafting menu.

Steps to reproduce

1. Run around or stand still and scroll through the crafting menu (survival) and watch the FPS drop. Easier if you do this with wickerbottom since her starting crafting menu is longer hence you can scroll more and see the FPS drop more clearly.

I ran through the troubleshooting steps in the forum and none of the suggestions resolved this issue.

Describe your issue
The FPS drop is minor without mods (still very irritating) but it becomes increasingly more when I add mods.

This never happened before when I used to play Don't Starve but since I've been playing DST mostly I only noticed this issue now.

It happens in both vanilla and RoG.

This issue does not happen to me in DST at all even with mods running. 

I play on 2 different laptops and both have the same issue:

Laptop 1 specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel i7-3840QM @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs)

16GB RAM

GeForce GTX 680M

500GB 7200rpm HDD

*Drivers are updated and even tried a rollback to a previous version of the NVIDIA driver which did not work.

Laptop 2 specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel i7-4500U CPU @ 1.8GHz (4 CPUs)

8GB RAM

GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 4GB

GPU 2: GeForce GT 740m 2GB (dedicated; my game is set to use this GPU in the Nvidia control panel)

500GB Samsung SSD

Am I really the only one experiencing this? It's sad since this issue does not appear at all in DST for me, I always have a 100% smooth game in DST even when I'm hosting.

That is odd. We will need a bit more information in order to investigate this further. 

• Are you clicking the crafting menu's up and down buttons when the slowdown occurs?
  • Are you playing with mouse/keyboard or with a joypad?

Also we will need to create a profiler.json file to have a better look at what's happening. In order to get that file:

• While in-game, go into the console by pressing the tilde (~) key.
  • Type in: TheSim:ToggleFrameProfiler() press Enter key and try playing the game for a few minutes.
  • Go into console again and type in: TheSim:ToggleFrameProfiler() once more, press enter then exit the game.
  • On your desktop, go to Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\data and look for the file "profile.json" 
  • Zip the file and send it to us via the forums or through our live support email directly. 

That is odd. We will need a bit more information in order to investigate this further. 

• Are you clicking the crafting menu's up and down buttons when the slowdown occurs?

Also we will need to create a profiler.json file to have a better look at what's happening. In order to get that file:

• While in-game, go into the console by pressing the tilde (~) key.
  • Type in: TheSim:ToggleFrameProfiler() press Enter key and try playing the game for a few minutes.
  • Go into console again and type in: TheSim:ToggleFrameProfiler() once more, press enter then exit the game.
  • On your desktop, go to Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\data and look for the file "profile.json" 
  • Zip the file and send it to us via the forums or through our live support email directly. 

• The sudden drop in FPS happens when i click any of the crafting menus (like switching from survival to magic to food) and when i press the up and down arrows. I never experienced this before I started playing DST (and I don't get this issue at all in DST).
    • I use a mouse & keyboard

I get the same problem with or without mods but I did the steps you mentioned and uploaded the profile.json here with and without mods. Hope this helps to resolve this issue.

profile with mods.zip

profile no mods.zip

If this helps or is relevant in any way, I'm subscribed to the following mods:

Geometric Placement

Flingomatic Base Planning

Ice Flingomatic Range Check

More Map Icons

Smarter Crock Pot

Season Clock

Wormhole Marks

Always On Status

Display Food Values

Thanks for the information, we are definitely seeing some oddness here - input seems to take longer than expected.

Try unplugging any USB devices you have plugged in (except for your mouse and keyboard). If you have any gaming keyboards or special mice (like the Raezr Naga or Razer Nostromo), try replacing those with a regular mouse and keyboard to see if that makes a difference.

Also, if you have or have had any controller emulation software (like VJoy) installed, please uninstall these and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the information, we are definitely seeing some oddness here - input seems to take longer than expected.

Try unplugging any USB devices you have plugged in (except for your mouse and keyboard). If you have any gaming keyboards or special mice (like the Raezr Naga or Razer Nostromo), try replacing those with a regular mouse and keyboard to see if that makes a difference.

Also, if you have or have had any controller emulation software (like VJoy) installed, please uninstall these and see if that makes a difference.

I tried all your suggestions but none of them worked including uninstalling my controller emulation software (SCP Toolkit) :(

Does the issue not happen in any of the computers in Klei? Because this problem happens to both of my laptops so I assumed there would be more people with this issue.

Just a bit more info in case it helps:

The issue was never present when I played DS over 2 years ago (on the same laptop, an Alienware m17x-r4) and the only change that my laptop has gone through since then, that I remember, are the usual driver updates and my OS upgrade to Windows 10 with a clean install. The other laptop I use is a Lenevo Ideapad u430 I think.

• Developer

I'll take a look into this myself. We've had a couple people report slowdown in the crafting menu, but we've been unable to recreate it here in the office.

I'll talk with the programmers though, and see if they have any ideas.

Archived