Skin/Clothes Drops Issue...

Skin Drops  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Using console commands to get skin drops

• It's there as of now, why not utilize it? It's the most effective way to get Skin Drops
    • It's unethical and creates gameplay centered on getting drops
    • Meh, I feel indifferent... either way, I don't care
  2. 2. Do you use certain console commands to acquire drops?

• Yes, definitely.
    • No, absolutely not.
    • Well, I dabble... just on occasion
  3. 3. Trading (can choose more than one answer)

• You got those things from doing nothing in game? For Shame!!
    • You got those things from doing nothing in game? What do you want for that backpack? O__O
    • So I busted my water chestnuts to get this Classy Item... not gonna trade lol
    • So I busted my wall nuts to get this Classy Item... What do you want to trade it for?
    • I have a White T-shirt... do you have a red T-shirt? O__O
    • I'll trade you my Smallbird Backpack for 20 Regular Gloves O__O
    • Clothes? Where we're going, we don't need clothes O__O
    • I wanna show off my clothes that I got while I built my base /pose
    • I wanna show off my clothes that I got while I went to school irl... /pose
    • (Because rule of ten O__O) I wanna play... pls move O__O

(and what would you trade for it? XD)

Can I have it just to mess with Weirdo? O__O

(jk)

Well, yeah, as I've said, it's the current system that's making players do this sort of thing... I mean c'mon, like we haven't used console commands before... but yeah... I'm kinda saying that this should be fixed somehow... like mob said:

Just imagine after an hour of invincible drop waiting a pop-up tells you that "Maxwell enjoyed wasting your time. Now go get gifts the legitime way."

Regardless of whether godmode should be considered acceptable and worth combating, I don't believe there is a system they could design to combat it that would be both efficient and effective. Considering how optimization has been a major task for Don't Starve Together, efficiency is not worth sacrificing to limit idle skin farming.

I know for certain that any system they implement Lua-side I could circumvent. There are some things they could do to make it a bit more work to get around (e.g. disabling drops when SuUsed gets triggered for c_godmode()), and maybe that would curb the prevalence, but it definitely wouldn't put a stop to it.

I think the skin drop rate could stand to be increased; the drop limit is probably fine, but if you could get a drop on the order of every couple of hours, that would provide better incentives for actually playing reasonable amounts of time in order to get skins. (a related problem is that there are many "garbage" items, ones that look pretty identical to or worse than the defaults, and there's nothing to do with them once you have a better option, which is usually quite early on-- for example, one might allow them to be "consumed" for better drop rate in the future or something)

@Asparagus, Hey man I agree 100% with you. It's kinda sad that some people are now playing this game only for the skins and nothing else. I'd rather have the community focus on the actual gameplay in DST rather than some clothes. Yeah some of the skins are pretty nice, but I think the gameplay should still be the main priority. 

Regardless of whether godmode should be considered acceptable and worth combating, I don't believe there is a system they could design to combat it that would be both efficient and effective. Considering how optimization has been a major task for Don't Starve Together, efficiency is not worth sacrificing to limit idle skin farming.

I know for certain that any system they implement Lua-side I could circumvent. There are some things they could do to make it a bit more work to get around (e.g. disabling drops when SuUsed gets triggered for c_godmode()), and maybe that would curb the prevalence, but it definitely wouldn't put a stop to it.

I think the skin drop rate could stand to be increased; the drop limit is probably fine, but if you could get a drop on the order of every couple of hours, that would provide better incentives for actually playing reasonable amounts of time in order to get skins. (a related problem is that there are many "garbage" items, ones that look pretty identical to or worse than the defaults, and there's nothing to do with them once you have a better option, which is usually quite early on-- for example, one might allow them to be "consumed" for better drop rate in the future or something)

I think we're not talking about stopping it. We just want people to not go invincible for it, but at least try to survive and enjoy the actual game.

I very much like the idea of "recycling". :encouragement:

I think we're not talking about stopping it. We just want people to not go invincible for it, but at least try to survive and enjoy the actual game.

"recycling" is not really a system everyone would enjoy, if I have to wait 10 hours while ingame to receive a skin then that's utter bull. I'd rather just leave the game running as I do other things. No point in wasting hours of my time playing on the few public servers their are because Mine hasn't worked since my router got replaced and I don't like lag. that and most servers barely get passed day 30.  Made double post on accident

"recycling" is not really a system everyone would enjoy, if I have to wait 10 hours while ingame to receive a skin then that's utter bull. I'd rather just leave the game running as I do other things. No point in wasting hours of my time playing on the few public servers their are because Mine hasn't worked since my router got replaced and I don't like lag. that and most servers barely get passed day 30 around 4 hours with the chances by now seeming to be extremely LOW to receive anything in that time unless there has been a recent update

"recycling" is not really a system everyone would enjoy, if I have to wait 10 hours while ingame to receive a skin then that's utter bull. I'd rather just leave the game running as I do other things. No point in wasting hours of my time playing on the few public servers their are because Mine hasn't worked since my router got replaced and I don't like lag. that and most servers barely get passed day 30 around 4 hours with the chances by now seeming to be extremely LOW to receive anything in that time unless there has been a recent update

Um.. what does that have to do with the idea of "recycling"? The whole point of that would be to make it easier getting a new drop by sacrificing previous drops you don't like.

Should I be misunderstanding, please keep in mind that I barely played the caves preview yet.

I think that things would also be better when the skin option will be less new. For the moment, everyone is focused on skin because :

- they are new

- there is nothing as new as the skin

When there will be a new feature, a new content, a new monster or whatever, it will be less important to stay idle to have one more shirt, because you will prefer to discover the new content.

Many people here are familial with the cave, it's not really a new content, so skin are more attractive for them.

It will change in the future. Why stay idle when you can ride a beefalo ? Why stay idle if you can fight a new monster, obtain new decorations for your base, craft new weapon ?

I don't think that you should do special action (like the "relative to poop" for the poop bag) to obtain skin. Because it will be worse than the "idle" part. You can be idle, yes, but you can also play. If you have to do special things to obtain skin, you can't do others things because you find them fun.

For the moment, people are idle, later they will be back to normal playstyle.

Regarding the limit/rate -- That's pretty much exactly what is going to happen. We are going to be adjusting the rate this Thursday. Currently it's taking too long for the average player to reach the cap, which makes being AFK profitable. When we adjust, most people should get a few drops throughout the week just playing normally.

So glad one of the head honchos clarified that Normal Players and Afk'er players are now officially getting equal treatment for drops.

I was wondering if Afk'ers had the possibility of getting more drops than casuals but knowing now that there's an existing limit on how many you can get per week makes me content.

Regarding the limit/rate -- That's pretty much exactly what is going to happen. We are going to be adjusting the rate this Thursday. Currently it's taking too long for the average player to reach the cap, which makes being AFK profitable. When we adjust, most people should get a few drops throughout the week just playing normally.

post-563359-0-90424300-1445979046_thumb.

In my opinion the best part about drops is they can be what you want them to be. If you wanna collect your favs go for it. ust looking for some cool items to wear and not taking it seriously thats fine to. Idlng to get them heck why should I care you do you boo boo. Clothing is how you make it just do what you want with it and leave the others alone.

well that helps clear things, i don't like killing time to get the max amount if it takes 10 hours or more to get 1 item. I'd rather have a short time but reasonable cap to work for like how many skins you would get an hour, I would think about maybe 0-1 because it makes so you could get an item that hour or get one a little around the next with the cap being maybe 7 or lower so I would at least get an item for playing at least 1 or 2 hours or maybe up to 3

I also think Klein should communicate what the cap is. This to prevent the posts of "hey I'm not receiving gift boxes anymore and only got X-amount this week. Is this a bug?"

This also means people will use commands less frequently seeing that they know they can only get this X-ammount before they cap out. And thus rather play the game than standing around in godmode

Archived