Smells Like Post - Undertale Thread

Morgan17

Some spoilers or whatever I dunno eh:

I really liked finishing this game for the first time in pacifist, it's different, funny and makes you feel progress. Then I found out you get more story if you do a genocide run, meaning kill everyone. That's when the grinding began.

Genocide is the same as playing normally, only the funny, quirky jokes, dialogues and the puzzles are replaced with grinding and two boss fights, one of which is easy, the other being artificially hard so you'll take an hour or a few.

What do I mean with artificially hard? Well, normal hard would be based on your skill. You're better - it gets easier. This one is hard because it's long, has no sort of checkpoints and allows barely any room for error, even pressing a button too long for a quarter second a few times has you start over.

To compare: It's like building a table only you have to chop and saw the wood yourself, you cannot stop to think for a second and if you do a wrong step you have to start over.

So what's the reward? You get to kill the characters you've grown to love and your save file and any future ones get permanently corrupted (unless you turn off cloud and dig in files), all for a bit more story that's barely any fulfilling.

So my suggestion: Play the main story on pacifist and either watch videos of genocide runs and/or never touch that game again.

I could go on about why genocide and its whole concept sucks but I'll stop seeming grumpy now.

bOI.

Some spoilers or whatever I dunno eh:

I really liked finishing this game for the first time in pacifist, it's different, funny and makes you feel progress. Then I found out you get more story if you do a genocide run, meaning kill everyone. That's when the grinding began.

Genocide is the same as playing normally, only the funny, quirky jokes, dialogues and the puzzles are replaced with grinding and two boss fights, one of which is easy, the other being artificially hard so you'll take an hour or a few.

What do I mean with artificially hard? Well, normal hard would be based on your skill. You're better - it gets easier. This one is hard because it's long, has no sort of checkpoints and allows barely any room for error, even pressing a button too long for a quarter second a few times has you start over.

To compare: It's like building a table only you have to chop and saw the wood yourself, you cannot stop to think for a second and if you do a wrong step you have to start over.

So what's the reward? You get to kill the characters you've grown to love and your save file and any future ones get permanently corrupted (unless you turn off cloud and dig in files), all for a bit more story that's barely any fulfilling.

So my suggestion: Play the main story on pacifist and either watch videos of genocide runs and/or never touch that game again.

I could go on about why genocide and its whole concept sucks but I'll stop seeming grumpy now.

bOI.

I'm pretty sure the point of the Genocide Route is to be not fun.  The entire thing is just one huge callback to how messed up the entire concept of grinding is.  Unlike most games, they actually acknowledge the fact that you're causing mass death on a ridiculous scale, just because you want to "level up".  You're not supposed to enjoy it.  You're not supposed to feel satisfied.  You're supposed to feel like sh*t.  And in my opinion, that's done well.

That said, yeah, Pacifist ending is way better.  :p

I'm pretty sure the point of the Genocide Route is to be not fun. The entire thing is just one huge callback to how messed up the entire concept of grinding is. Unlike most games, they actually acknowledge the fact that you're causing mass death on a ridiculous scale, just because you want to "level up". You're not supposed to enjoy it. You're not supposed to feel satisfied. You're supposed to feel like sh*t. And in my opinion, that's done well.

That said, yeah, Pacifist ending is way better. :p

True, I simply don't like that they make part of the game intentionally bad just to prove a point. Why should I as a player give a single flying fudge about it if it's bad. I know the point is that I don't, but it's essential to 100%ing a game and reveals a lot of lore and story.

I honestly thought that Undertale was genius until I saw genocide, but knowing that a big chunk of the lore is walled off behind a grindwall makes it dumb. I won't give it a "that's the point" pass. If it was easy it would feel better because you can just stroll through and feel like a jerk properly, but the unnecessary Sans bossfight ruins it. It turns from "you're acting like an ass because of completion" to "see, now you have to dedicate time to do something you don't even want to do".

It succeeded at one thing though, one thing that honestly no game ever succeeded in doing: It made me feel like I am genuinely wasting my time.

its more 'you're acting like an ass because of curiosity' for me, I see the sans fight as a test. are you really THAT curious/determined to get that stupid 100% ?  to spend so much time on this boss ? 

i got to sans on my genocide run, but I spoiled the entire thing for myself before I even started it because I thought I'd never be able to do it. I guess I'm just gonna stay in that cathedral, maybe beat sans someday

its more 'you're acting like an ass because of curiosity' for me, I see the sans fight as a test. are you really THAT curious/determined to get that stupid 100% ?  to spend so much time on this boss ? 

i got to sans on my genocide run, but I spoiled the entire thing for myself before I even started it because I thought I'd never be able to do it. I guess I'm just gonna stay in that cathedral, maybe beat sans someday

Oh of course that is what it is, but I think it's still wrong and doesn't add positively to the game.

Archived