Seriously, we need to discuss Summer.

Maybe repurpose Biiigfoot as the new End-game/Summer Giant since I don't think they'll be adding the all-powerful...

*looks around*

<__<

>__>

old bell anytime soon without any major balance adjustments... also, hey look at that, something that the single player DS has that DST doesn't...

4 hours ago, Asparagus said:

Maybe repurpose Biiigfoot as the new End-game/Summer Giant since I don't think they'll be adding the all-powerful...

do you really want to be spamming F at a giant foot with a brain on top?

4 hours ago, Asparagus said:

old bell

I can still hear you.

6 hours ago, werlpolf said:

- Buzzards can be found in every biome

that and changing wiltering to trampled crops would be great.

14 hours ago, werlpolf said:

- Buzzards can be found in every biome

- The Walrus camp needs to be reused. Best is at Summer (autumn and spring is a hunting break)

I have always wished they did more with Buzzards. It would be so atmospheric! As for point 2, El Tusko

6 hours ago, leonseye said:

...my fiance read this thread and then made me change Summer to Very Short from now on.  ._.

YA HEAR THAT KLEI!? YA HEAR THAT!? THAT'S THE SOUND OF THE MASSES CONTORTING! THE METICULOUSLY SEWED BONDS OF YOUR FRAGILE SYSTEM HAVE BEGUN TO UNRAVEL! FREEDOM IS AT HAND! REVOLUTION IS UPON US! STEAMPUNK WIZARD ZOMBIE SETHR BOSS OR RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

On 10/19/2015 at 10:34 PM, T4T3RGR3NAD3R said:

I don't want mirroring either, but it would be better than the current state of summer. I would also love buzzards to do more.

I kind of agree w/ this.

Summer seems to be a mirror of Winter already, only instead of interesting new mobs and threats, it's all replaced by boring burning / withering.  The heat mechanic is basically an exact mirror of the freezing mechanic.  There is no Summer boss threat.  There is no Summer-specific mob or item outside of Cactus Flowers.

So Summer is basically a really dull Winter that ensures that you don't go anywhere but the Caves.

I don't want Summer to mirror Winter either.  If we are going to add anything new and interesting to Summer, I would much rather they actually be new and interesting.

16 hours ago, RalphKastro said:

that and changing wiltering to trampled crops would be great.

I just remember, that I came up in the past with the idea, that tumbleweeds can be found everywhere, too - just less, but enough to survive. The withering would be fine then.

EDIT

great idea -> El Tusko (with fire hounds) and sumbrero

Klei never changed DS summer because it wasn't an issue but in DST it's a big deal. In a multiplayer game, you want to have fun with other players but Summer goes against that. I have +200 hours in DST and i don't think i've ever seen a summer server with more than 2 players. Nobody wants to join mid summer and melt at portal (because everything is withered you cant even make a straw hat / parasol) and nobody wants to stay during summer because there is nothing else to do besides fueling the fling. As i said before, with Dragonfly avaiable all seasons, you're not losing anything by removing summer from DST. Some small changes that would help alot:

Spoiler

-Make it rain a bit every few days. While it rains, stuff unwither and the world temperature drops to normal, that's when you leave the base and people who just got in can actually gather resources. And don't say it's makes no sense, it's summer, water is evaporating all the time, it should be raining alot actually.

-Make temperature drop to average at night. There is no sun in the sky, why is it making +100º? This would make night traveling easier and you would be able to pass the night with a normal campfire.

-Go easy on the heat/smoldering. It's not fun to stand under a tree and see the tree light on fire. The fact that anything important can light on fire makes me not want to explore even more to not risk unintentionally burning something valuable just by standing close to it.

-Give us a reason to leave the base. As it is, summer offers nothing useful in the long run. Cactus flowers are only used for flower shirt that is also only useful in summer. I guess  hunting would be the easiest option but instead of "El Tusko" and "Summer Koalefant", i would prefer something new.

-Make summer gear more acessible and useful. There is no point in making a summer frest when you can make 2 Umbrellas, flower shirt can only be made on summer, fashion melon lasts less than 3 days and drains sanity, Ice cube is hilariously expensive and you probably used the ice on flings, thermal stone only lasts 8 "uses" and you can't freeze it easily as you can warm it. If you want to keep +4 players in the server , you need to give everyone at least something decent that lasts for a while. Removing thermal stone durability and giving us the summer equivalent of Winter Hat, (easy and efficient) would already help a lot.

-There has to be a summer exclusive giant. I know dragonfly is the obvious choice but i never liked her drop, scale armor is too risky to use with normal enemies and a heatprof chest is a terrible reward for killing a giant. Either make her summer only again and add a new giant (How about a "King clockwork" giant? Would solve the gear problems) or give us a new one with a more useful drop.

Heh, had one of my fiance's friends come join our server for a bit yesterday.  Fun times, great adventures.

Thought this might relate to the topic, though.  Here's a snippet of what it looks like to explain Summer (on Very Short even) to somebody:

A: Hrm, summer now
m: why is it still raining >:CCC
N: its nonstop :C
m: ahmg it stopped
m: ogod its hot
m: stand under a tree if you get too hotttt
m: a big one
m: ogod its so hot
m: come under this tree
m: nu come to this fire
m: the blue fire
m: das the cool fire, obviously
N: XD i see
m: SO
m: we cant go back to that camp
m: or it will burn
m: we must spend the next four days or so on the run
N: bahaha
A: I forgot to make ice flingomatics : /

...I made the noob mistake of trying to sneak back to our camp to grab some of our massive food stockpile from the fridges, all 4 crock pots immediately caught fire and I had to hightail it outta there before everything else went up w/ them.  <.<

39 minutes ago, leonseye said:

...I made the noob mistake of trying to sneak back to our camp to grab some of our massive food stockpile from the fridges, all 4 crock pots immediately caught fire and I had to hightail it outta there before everything else went up w/ them.  <.<

So when is your wife planning a divorce because of that?gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

2 hours ago, sirscrubbingtont said:

So when is your wife planning a divorce because of that?gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

lol, I went off and killed the Bearger as soon as Autumn hit (she wasn't kidding, it was only 4 days left till Autumn on Very Short Summer) and made her a vest for her Wolfgang.

She had 4 brand new crockpots ready to go when I returned.  Of course, I had to build the flingos before I went out hunting.. <.<

Heh, she is a keeper.  : )

Edit: meant vest, not belt

4 minutes ago, RalphKastro said:

let's agree to disagree on this matter.

Can you tell me why at least? RoG has been released for over a year and this isn't the first topic complaining about summer.

Just now, Serph said:

Can you tell me why at least? RoG has been released for over a year and this isn't the first topic complaining about summer.

It just felt incredibly boring. It was just a long season of  camping in the desert and living by cactus and honey and whatever else food I managed to stock. Occasionally I would try to remain in my base, so I could have some interesting challenge, but the management of my 4-5 fling-o-matics was just a huge bore of getting logs to fuel them. The only thing that could be considered actually fun and dangerous was the dragonfly, but all you have to do is lead it away and wait for it to despawn, as it follows your camera even when not aggro'ed. I know, I could try to beat that thing, but this is a survival game, not some RPG. I am not going to try spamming hits on a creature that won't benefit me in any way what-so-ever.

Archived