"Skin Gift" drops

Wait, how will the gifts work? Will they go into your steam inventory? Or will they be dropped by something at some point and then it's a "first come, first serve" type of thing and the boxes will be items? I'm so confoosed!

So am I, will it be obtainable in game? steam inventory? menu hud? c_give("mysterious_gift",50)?

Wait, how will the gifts work? Will they go into your steam inventory? Or will they be dropped by something at some point and then it's a "first come, first serve" type of thing and the boxes will be items? I'm so confoosed!

At 33:53 in the stream they explain that as you play, a mysteriosue gift will appear in your HUD, which I think based on this information means either a little pop-up notice that looks like the 'seriously not paused' menu, or an icon similar to the wetness meter will show up, probably more likely the latter. Then you open the gift at a science machine, and it will show up in your collections tab in the DST menu. 

At 36:07 they say most of the skins will be tradeable, and at 40:45 they say the skins are tradeable through Steam.

At 39:42 they say modded characters are skinnable if built in a correct way.

I don't want thirst to be added either...

Certainly not to the main game, but sometime I want to see someone make a mod that makes the game ridiculously complicated just for the heck of it. Like sickness, and there being like 10 different herbs and a bunch of different herb combinations to make cures for different ailments.

Potato Cup is love, Potato Cup is life. It really should be default for everyone.

Off-topic, but in all seriousness, they should totally implement thirst in DS Shipwrecked and make the Potato Cup a drinking item. Not that I want one more thing to manage, but I love the meta.

Thirst would be a good idea for DST and DS.. but then it will be too many stuff to manage.

5 bars 4th is rain meter and 5th is thirst meter.

I don't like any of this, it sounds too much like what happened to TF2, and how that game had its visual style and playerbase completely detracted by items, cosmetics and trading. Simple clothing additions don't bother me if they fit the character, but it seems every character will be able to wear completely unfitting clothes (Robot wearing human clothes? Willow wearing ridiculously improper clothes?) and the silly-looking gloves and beefalo backpack, Jesus Christ. Don't Starve has a pretty nifty art style, it will pain me to see it debased like this. I can only hope the trading doesn't distract the community too much, or evolve into some microtransaction machine.

post-658015-0-86340200-1442200846.jpg

Alternate backpacks look and work great for differentiation and vanity alike, why are "skins" (clothes, really) so badly done then? They're more of a show-off system than a differentiation method, since people won't be wearing a full suit of unique clothes all the time, especially not new players who don't have (good) items.

I understand they're still playing with the idea, but it's seriously no good at the moment, and would hurt more than help.

What Mobbstar said

I think that even working on clothes is not good spending of your DST time. Clothes are really small differentiation of characters. They are too small even on my 11inch screen (lol) so how about when i play it on my 27inch? Also this way people will just change clothes for their favorite character BUT with skins? If you make skins drop like you want to make clothes drop i get for example skin for Woodie - i don't like this character that much but i will play with him only to try (show off for kids) this new skin.

Also you said on stream that you don't want to release these concept skins only because everyone will play as Mad scientist Willson. Well there are two more skins that are maybe even more awesone as Mad scientist. I say make 3-4 awesome skins for every character in beginning and maybe later add more. I think that with 3-4 awesome skins we can look different without problems.

With clothes there are more oprions but at the end everyone will see only gloves and maybe pants. Also there are not that much possibilities with those either. It is not like you can make 50 shades of one color (we know that this isn't working.). You can also go crazy with clothes and make them glow in dark or some patterns or just hairy chest but still it is only a little difference and everyone will wear armor/backpack.

EDIT: sorry for my weak English

Archived