Shipwrecked Update Sept 2015

Bigfoot

Are you people on crack or something? The game isn't releasing on Dec 1st, it's on early access. That means the game is not finished, and they essentially want you to finish it for them and pay for the privilege.

The game was supposed to release in the fall, the fact that is "releasing" into early access in December is not something you should be applauding.

Yes, Klei have a lot of good will banked for being great developers, but seriously don't applaud this type of cop out move, it's not healthy for the games industry. Pay for finished products, not incomplete games. 

Are you people on crack or something? The game isn't releasing on Dec 1st, it's on early access. That means the game is not finished, and they essentially want you to finish it for them and pay for the privilege.

The game was supposed to release in the fall, the fact that is "releasing" into early access in December is not something you should be applauding.

Yes, Klei have a lot of good will banked for being great developers, but seriously don't applaud this type of cop out move, it's not healthy for the games industry. Pay for finished products, not incomplete games. 

That's not really it at all, yea we're paying for an unfinished game but it's basically just a pre order with the benefit of actually being able to have a taste of what's to come. also klei will finish the game whether we tell them about bugs or not, us being able to play and find them just helps patch the game up faster. It's not like they expect us to do any actual work so i don't know what you're talking about when you say "they essentially want you to finish it for them".

I really don't see the problem with early access as long as the game does manage to get completed, which I highly doubt klei will just throw up their arms saying "good enough" just because people buy the early access.

I'm not a big fan of early access but I think you are wrong. Yes, early access means unfinished products, but you have to understand that Klei had plan to release SW as a standalone. The community here didn't like that choice. For that, Klei changed his initial plan, and made the decision to release it as a DLC.

Thanks to that, when the game will be finished, we would be able to travel from Vanilla/RoG world to SW world. This a lot of change to Klei/Capy, and I believe we can apologize them for that. They listen to their community, and they made a tough decision : releasing an early access in order to finish the DLC we all want.

They listen to their community, and they made a tough decision : releasing an early access in order to finish the DLC we all want.

Maybe you're embroidering a bit the reasons behind early access, for maybe it was planned as early access from the beginning, I don't think they told us they moved to early-access for the very purpose of making it a dlc.

But I think it's not a bad thing, for example with early-access RoG it allowed us to voice our opinions on some things and many suggestions were made which were later included, which would have been more difficult if RoG had been fully-released day 1, so I'm all for that kind of early-access. 

Maybe you're embroidering a bit the reasons behind early access, for maybe it was planned as early access from the beginning, I don't think they told us they moved to early-access for the very purpose of making it a dlc.

But I think it's not a bad thing, for example with early-access RoG it allowed us to voice our opinions on some things and many suggestions were made which were later included, which would have been more difficult if RoG had been fully-released day 1, so I'm all for that kind of early-access. 

Well, you're right, they didn't tell us specifically that the decision was made after. But they told us that they have to do extra work to integrate SW into the Vanilla Don't Starve.

And as you said, Klei is really attentive and understanding with his community, early-access is a good call for them, and for us too.

I don't see anything wrong with 'early access' and will be buying it straight away.

I get where people are coming from with this, but I think it's mainly perpetuated by triple A games companies releasing incomplete games for £50 and then charging 'DLC' that fixes these problems or integrates missing features.

But Klei and capy are indie developers, A whole different category in my honest opinion, and if my experience of these forums has taught me anything it's that they want to make really great games and appreciate players Helping them - Something I'm more than willing to 'pay' to do. Why? Well because once it's finished the price'll go up.

I'd rather save some money and contribute to making the game better than pay extra. 

Shipwrecked is going to be a DLC instead of a standalone expansion.

Explain me exacly how is it better than just an extension? Won't it mean that i'll need to additionaly pay for yet another DLC? Because if you're already preparing your comments about me not needing to buy it, i'll let you know that i will buy it, with the difference that i'm rather dissapointed with wasting even more money for keeping this game interesting at all

Explain me exacly how is it better than just an extension? Won't it mean that i'll need to additionaly pay for yet another DLC? Because if you're already preparing your comments about me not needing to buy it, i'll let you know that i will buy it, with the difference that i'm rather dissapointed with wasting even more money for keeping this game interesting at all

Is this real life? The game is 5 dollars, that is practically nothing for how much the game is adding. This isn't just adding in caves, this is a whole new world with new items and new biomes, new weather, new plant life, new monsters, new animals, new turf, new balances, new characters. Maybe I got baited into responding to a troll post or something?

Is this real life? The game is 5 dollars, that is practically nothing for how much the game is adding. This isn't just adding in caves, this is a whole new world with new items and new biomes, new weather, new plant life, new monsters, new animals, new turf, new balances, new characters. Maybe I got baited into responding to a troll post or something?

Like i said, paying for keeping this game interesting at all. Once you unlock everything, there's not much to do, and new characters, new biomes, new weaher, plants, monsters etc. etc. Should be slowly being added in the game with updates, not packed all up in one big dlc and expect players to buy it because "It adds things". All the other games earn their rightfull updates every now and then to keep players interested with new content, they dont keep everything to themselves and then burst it out at you for your hard-earned money. Because i dont know where do you live, but where i'm from, 5$ is actualy rather hard to earn with our economics.

Like i said, paying for keeping this game interesting at all. Once you unlock everything, there's not much to do, and new characters, new biomes, new weaher, plants, monsters etc. etc. Should be slowly being added in the game with updates, not packed all up in one big dlc and expect players to buy it because "It adds things". All the other games earn their rightfull updates every now and then to keep players interested with new content, they dont keep everything to themselves and then burst it out at you for your hard-earned money. Because i dont know where do you live, but where i'm from, 5$ is actualy rather hard to earn with our economics.

I think you misunderstand games that are in Beta versus finished games. By most accounts Don't Starve is a finished game, the fact you find that it doesn't have much replayability falls on you - I've played over 400 hours and still love it for what it is.

Things were added to the base game and updated last year, and the year before, the fact you've come in rather late and proclaimed "why aren't they adding anything else" - well surely you understand that it's now a complete game?

And as mentioned, I'm fairly sure they wanted Shipwrecked to be standalone but converted it to DLC to integrate into normal DS to satisfy a lot of players - either way we would still have to pay for it.

I get where you're coming from in terms of cost, and how it can be very costly, but that's the gaming industry, gone are the days of reasonable game prices thanks to triple A companies, but the fact that DS basegame still only costs $5 on steam is a very far leap from the $70-80 most companies want to charge for games.

I completely agree with you, how dare they sell us stuff that they could give us for free, what a bunch of sellout swines.

I mean, we threw money at them once, now they must keep us entertained for free forever, isn't it how it works ? Isn't it how life works ?

Vultures.

• Developer

I completely agree with you, how dare they sell us stuff that they could give us for free, what a bunch of sellout swines.

I mean, we threw money at them once, now they must keep us entertained for free forever, isn't it how it works ? Isn't it how life works ?

Vultures.

Yeah! I mean it's not like they need the money to keep living or anything!

Bunch of selfish pigs.

I just paid £3.99 for this.  Other things that can easily cost me 3.99 (or more) in these 'economics'

A pint of beer,  a burger king (easily more lol), parking my car for a couple of hours.

I think I'm going to enjoy Don't Starve Shipwrecked more than all of these things ;) 

When you buy games like 'The Sims' - you buy a base game and then buy expansion packs for it to expand the basic game play and add new content etc. It's the same with Don't Starve. The developers spend so much time making these games and the DLC for us to enjoy and I think that deserves reward. $15 for a base game and then $5 for DLC every now and then is an amazing deal. I think people need to just appreciate what we get :(

Except that EA apparently has no shame in putting out an incomplete, boring base game and charging waaaay too much for it :p  Klei, on the other hand, made an awesome and complete game, then added even more awesome FOR FREE for six months after the full release.  From what I've seen, players have had to constantly push EA to get even a few basic features reinstated.  I've completely given up on Sims 4.  No way no how I'm giving them more money for the stuff packs and expansions they've dumped out since the base game.  But for Klei, I was waiting on tenterhooks to get my grubby hands on RoG the second I could!  And, if I had the money, I would buy Shipwrecked right this second.

Archived