Is it true that Don't Starve: Ship Wrecked

And this is a perfectly valid argument. However, what about when you're looking for that portal, do you collect stuff and make a base in RoG? Or do you rush to the portal and make a base in SW? The difference between caves and SW, is that the SW islands are designed to be more permanently inhabited, but caves aren't (due to the darkness and other dangers). So, in the end, we would have to choose between which world we made a base/spent most of our time in anyway.

Why not both? World options exist. Through a portal in one set of options, right off the bat in another.

Why not both? World options exist. Through a portal in one set of options, right off the bat in another.

Yes, but if we were to go with a portal, where would we make a base? In RoG or SW? They're both viable options, but making two fire pits/science machines/alchemy engines/crock pots etc. would probably be tiring after some time, and I imagine people would like to have a base in both the world of SW and RoG. Not a bad idea though.

EDIT Made some changes.

Yes, but if we were tk go with a portal, where would we make a base? In RoG or SW? They're both viable options, but making two fire pits/science machines/alchemy engines/crock pots etc. would probably be tiring after some time.

Having the option to explore an entirely new world is a chore for you? How do you enjoy ANYTHING?

Phew, a lot of text where many posts get repetitive...

Seems it is a big deal for many players for SW to be a DLC. I understand their reasons, but the ideas and proposals how to merge them are in my opinion silly. Most of the ideas like "make a ship" or "make a portal" are useless. If you have a ship, which you use to get to the new world - why bother in the first place? Why would you have to "find" something, where you want to go and not go there right away? What nonsense.

And also - like some (wise) people said previously - where would you have fun and had a base and everything? How would you protect your base in vanilla or ROG from deerclops, when you are in SW? How would you even know deerclops is coming, if there is no winter in SW? Again - what a nonsense idea to merge these two beautiful worlds and games.

I like it very much being a standalone experience. This way it is a completely new adventure, new experience. I wouldn't want it just to be ROG with boats. It is SW experience, not ROG. Take it as a completely new game. You can't play Age of Empires 1 and 2 at the same time and merge the worlds/civilisations, etc. It's the same here - ROG is a different game, SW is a different game.

And boy how excited I was when they announced SW. From the first time I saw and played first DS I was thinking - this would be awesome game, if I was surviving on a lonely island (or more islands) like some Robin Cook adventure.

Everyone, who wants it as DLC can't see how it is not compatible and how different the games and experiences are. Don't try to merge it, you will just create a mess, where you would hop from one side of the map to the other just to make some tedious things (i.e. deal with deerclops, etc.) and not enjoy the game in the first place.

Keep it up Klei, you make great games.

The more I'm thinking about Shipwrecked beeing a standalone expansion, the more it makes sense. When I first heard about it, I must admit I was disappointed, most likely because in the first announcement there was no talk about it at all. At this point it was my wish to see a bigger world added to the DS universe, which would make in first place the longterm survival in the base game more interesting and varied.

But now I see that there are a lot of balancing and gameplay issues which would make it kind of hard to mix the worlds together.

Yes, there could be solutions that were already mentioned to put Shipwrecked into the vanilla game, but I'm quite unsure if they will lead to a better game experience. Moreover we don't know all the new features yet, so there could be more content that doesn't fit in the old world.

For example new characters: Let's say they are planning to add Wilbur the monkey to the game, who will have some kind of bonuses regarding the new island monkeys. This character would be more or less useless in the old map. Furtermore the already revealed character Woodlegs will most likely have some pirate abbilities / bonuses (sailing?,treasures?...) which can't be used in vanilla DS.

One of the biggest problems will remain the water, I guess. If they don't change the old water into beeing compatible with ships and boats the only solution seems to be a portal to the new world. But it doesn't seems that elegant when your heading back to the old world, being able to build a boat and the character says: "I'm not able to set sail here because ...(whatever)..."

If I understood it correctly there will be new (stormy) seasons in Shipwrecked and the old seasons will not be featured in the expansion. So for example you would be able to flee the winter and head to the tropical island for that season. This sounds a bit boring to me. A solution could be that the portal is frozen in winter, so you can't use it. Smart solution?

Another problem which I already talked about are the followers. What's with Chester? He can't swim and I guess it will be technical hard to implant when you are entering a boat that he still follows.

These are just some of the gameplay issues I see if you mix the worlds and I'm pretty sure there will be many more (for example the giants)...

All in all I think we can be very happy that we will get new single player content and if it's standalone content it's still way better then none (which I was thinking we would get two month ago). So lets keep calm and wait for more details from Klei and Capy, because I'm pretty sure that they are giving the best they can to make Shipwrecked as good as possible.
Besides that I still hope we will get any of the not "multiplayer only" content from DST at some point for the singleplayer DS (better walls, Lavae Egg, mountable Beefalos...) which would be very very cool.

Having the option to explore an entirely new world is a chore for you? How do you enjoy ANYTHING?

It's not the exploration I dislike, that is one of my favourite features of Don't Starve as a game. The fact that, if I/someone else wanted to play with both RoG and SW, the person playing would have to either build two bases (which I don't think is what people want to spend the majority of their time doing, but hey, whatever floats your boat) or build one base somewhere, and then go to the other world and be overwhelmed by the hounds or SW equivalent, because they would have no base. They would have to rebuild a fire pit, science machines if they wanted to prototype, and other base structures.

Let's say, the player has survived on RoG for 150 days. They're pretty confident, so they go to SW. They then have no base, no crock pot, no drying rack, no crock pot, no anything. Now I don't know about you, but I personally wouldn't want this to happen.

But, this discussion is pointless anyway, as you will not stray from your side as much as I will not stray from mine. If it is released as DLC, which I wouldn't prefer due to a later release date, I will probably make a world where I only play SW anyway. And that'll be that.

I dont think the giants/ and ROG specific seasons would be that big of a problem balance wise if Shipwrecked were included in the main game.  

If the game is reformatted into DLC and the islands are added to the main game along with the water, In a perfect world I imagine they might be able to write some piece of code that makes certain weather appear on different turfs. So that you have all the ROG seasons occur on ROG- specific turfs with ROG giants only spawning on ROG-specific turfs.  Then of course Shipwrecked seasons would only occur on Shipwrecked turfs. Of course they would coincide so when its fall on ROG, its hurricane season on Shipwrecked and so on and so forth. Although they would have to account for the fact turfs can be dug up, so maybe the code would have to be more sophisticated and would designated the different games biomes into zones.  I have no idea if that is even feasible or possible at all without reworking the way seasons are handled to begin with and if this is just incredibly wishful thinking but I thought it was worth suggesting. 

If the game was still designed as a standalone and the portal format was chosen, that would be a much easier solution as the Shipwrecked world would just act like the caves do.  Giants do not spawn in the caves, and have separate seasonal effects. So the Shipwrecked world would have its own seperate seasons and bosses to fight. I dont think running to the Shipwrecked world in winter is any more cheap than running to the caves during winter, and it will still be a winter-esque season on Shipwrecked so you'll have to deal with that any any bosses that might occur because of that.    

It's not the exploration I dislike, that is one of my favourite features of Don't Starve as a game. The fact that, if I/someone else wanted to play with both RoG and SW, the person playing would have to either build two bases (which I don't think is what people want to spend the majority of their time doing, but hey, whatever floats your boat) or build one base somewhere, and then go to the other world and be overwhelmed by the hounds or SW equivalent, because they would have no base. They would have to rebuild a fire pit, science machines if they wanted to prototype, and other base structures.

Let's say, the player has survived on RoG for 150 days. They're pretty confident, so they go to SW. They then have no base, no crock pot, no drying rack, no crock pot, no anything. Now I don't know about you, but I personally wouldn't want this to happen.

But, this discussion is pointless anyway, as you will not stray from your side as much as I will not stray from mine. If it is released as DLC, which I wouldn't prefer due to a later release date, I will probably make a world where I only play SW anyway. And that'll be that.

Whats stopping you from going back to ROG though if you run into difficulties, stocking up and then heading back to Shipwrecked.  The portal would act like a cave entrance.  Nothing prevents you from leaving the caves if you run out of supplies.  I sort of understand what you are saying about not wanting to build 2 full bases, but whats stopping the player from heading to Shipwrecked on day 20? Why wait until day 150. You wouldnt need to fully conquer the ROG world before moving on.  On the flipside what if in the options you had the ability in the settings to choose which world you start on? So you could start on Shipwrecked, and then when you want to venture back into the older content you do so at your own leisure by heading through the portal.  

Take a moment and think about it - really think about how the gameplay would be when it would be merged. You have a huge world, where just getting to a wormhole, which gets you just 1/4 of the map away to the place you need to go. And imagine - you start fall at ROG "mainland" and hurricane season starts in SW island. You have bases on both sides. There is no way you can get to both of them in time to save them from being demolished. Eeither from hurricane in SW (or what boss or monster is going to be in SW) or bearger in ROG - . Which of them will you choose?

Personally I would like Klei and Capy to leave it as a standalone. Because if it would be merged, it would be immensly huge and one way or the other, the day would come, when you would be punished somehow in one world or the other and you would not be able to stop it. Which is very dissapointing and not rewarding gameplay. This would ruin both games at some stage.

If you are still worrying, who will get new content - go and look for some cool mods, there are a lot of people doing great work out there. There will also be mods for SW. Personally, I would like to see some quest mod happen for SW, like Robin Cook experience or something. So there is content everywhere.

Take a moment and think about it - really think about how the gameplay would be when it would be merged. You have a huge world, where just getting to a wormhole, which gets you just 1/4 of the map away to the place you need to go. And imagine - you start fall at ROG "mainland" and hurricane season starts in SW island. You have bases on both sides. There is no way you can get to both of them in time to save them from being demolished (either from hurricane - or what boss or monster is going to be there - or bearger). Which of them will you choose?

When you are in a cave during winter, the deerclops does not wreck your base though. If you are on ROG during hurricane season, your base on Shipwrecked wouldnt be touched. Afterall on the base game, things only occur within the players vicinity. 

I dont see how... Thats how the game plays. Game specific events do not occur within two seperate worlds. The Giants do not attack your base when you are under ground, in fact nothing happens above ground when you enter the cave, except for the usual time-related stuff.  Thats my point if Shipwrecked were its own world similar to caves, events would only occur in the world where the player is playing. 

I think maybe the best solution is the mountable version, where the game is completley playable as a standalone, but if players do have ROG installed, it places the portal into ROG and updates the game with the necessary balance changes. Not sure how much time it would take to balance however. 

The way it is now is just because developers can't make it (right now) for the world to be changing when you are in a cave. However, this is of course bizzare behavior, since deerclops should stomp your base to the ground, whether you are hiding in a cave or not. The world should be flowing with the changes the same way as if you were there. That is the intention. If it is not possible now, doesn't mean it should be kept that way in the future.

Why would then developers spend so much time on creating dedicated servers for DST for example? To learn how to create a world, which changes on its own with its own actions and events. To make it more real. And a better experience for the player. To have a world changing just when you are around is very simplified, limited and boring.

But I think that is completely intentional by the developers.  The giants spawn within the vicinity of the players so if you are far away from your base the deerclops for example will spawn by you but not close enough to your base to attack it.  Additionally the giants have a chance to not spawn at all. Giants weren't only added to destroy your base. They were added as another challenge that you have to overcome, fight it or lure it away and let it despawn.  How is luring it away and letting it despwan any different from going to the caves or to Shipwrecked?  If you arent prepared for them or dont need their resources then I dont see how avoiding them isnt the ideal stretegy.  

There is no way that multiple worlds would ever have things going on at the same time in terms of monster spawning and attacking a players structures because the player cannot be in both places at the same time.   

because the player cannot be in both places at the same time.   

Exactly why it is a standalone and should be left that way. Why have merged worlds, when you know you can't play both at the same time, since they are so different? Seems to me that you just want to force it to become one game just for the purpose of having one save. That is in my opinion a terrible idea. 

Take a moment and think about it - really think about how the gameplay would be when it would be merged. You have a huge world, where just getting to a wormhole, which gets you just 1/4 of the map away to the place you need to go. And imagine - you start fall at ROG "mainland" and hurricane season starts in SW island. You have bases on both sides. There is no way you can get to both of them in time to save them from being demolished. Eeither from hurricane in SW (or what boss or monster is going to be in SW) or bearger in ROG - . Which of them will you choose?

Do you even play Don't Starve ? 

Hurricanes, giants spawning, fires, and many other things of that kind can't happen off-screen.  

I won't comment on the now sterile debate dlc-standalone, like many other people I finally got sick of it and prefer to wait and see Klei's decision.

Just because they cant be played at the same time (assuming the portal and seperate world method is used) doesnt mean that you wouldnt be able to switch between them and play on the world you want in this case without loading a separate save file up on a seperate game for that matter. Say you are on ROG and you have a nice base built up but you want to get some coconades( new weapons from shipwrecked) in order to fight the deerclops.  You make your way to the portal gather the necessary materials, maybe set up a small base there so next time you return you will be better prepared, and then head back to ROG to deal with the deerclops with your newly crafted coconades.

By your logic, caves should have been a standalone game. Which is absolutely ludicrous  

By your logic, caves should have been a standalone game. Which is absolutely ludicrous  

I never said that, because indeed that would be stupid. Shipwrecked should remain standalone, because simply it is a standalone game experience, without ROG. Everything is designed to a new world, completely. To the last detail. Why should the developers merge something, that is playable standalone and that has its own story to be told? Why should they mess it up mixing everything to a nonsense blob? 

Do you even play Don't Starve ? 

Hurricanes, giants spawning, fires, and many other things of that kind can't happen off-screen.  

I won't comment on the now sterile debate dlc-standalone, like many other people I finally got sick of it and prefer to wait and see Klei's decision.

I agree, it is getting tiresome.  Whatever Klei decides to do I will support it because the fact of the matter is that they said they dont know what they are going to do at the moment. Before they didnt know people were interested in content that could be played together and now they are.  If they deem that the content wouldnt work together then I would accept that. But again they havent decided yet, so I think other members should allow others to discuss possible ways that it could be merged without definitively saying NO when the developers themselves haven't made a decision.   

I think other members should allow others to discuss possible ways that it could be merged without definitively saying NO when the developers themselves haven't made a decision.   

Surely. But this thread is about whether it is or isn't a standalone and pure discussion about who likes what and where are the biggest advantages. Everyone who wanted posted their opinion and I won't change anyone's opinion. It's everyone's right.

I am perfectly ok with anyone wanting it as DLC. I just wanted to state reasons why I want it as a standalone.

Cheers

Youre reading into things if you think were furiously arguing. I agree with him, if the developers say that it cant be redesigned because they

1. want to stay true to the original standalone design

2. do not have the time left

3. dont want to compromise the orignal game 

and so on and so forth I would want a standalone game.

But they haven't stated that a more integrated world is off the table, if any or all of those reasons mentioned above can be circumvented then I don't see the problem.   

Archived