Is it true that Don't Starve: Ship Wrecked

So, you're saying it's impossible to replace and expand the original generation of the sea to the Shipwrecked version? That sounds like nonsense to me.

Well it's physically possible. Like world-wide peace. But then there's schedules and hype train and limited brain ram 'n' stuff.

EDIT: I made a booboo typo.

EDIT2: That response... I just... -.- Good thing I barely listen to you.

EDIT3: I mean, don't you think they'd try to make a DLC use the DLC system in place? Overriding that much is a bit of an hassle.

On a side note, why are there leaks in the game files if it's going to be a seperate game?!

Well it's physically possible. Like world-wide peace.

This is a game, not the real world; almost anything is possible in the virtual world! Even changing the generation of the sea and such. If it weren't possible, then people wouldn't brag on about a DLC, right?

Remember it's just terrain; not something server connection based or anything, but just terrain!

I think everyone's taking this a bit too seriously. Just because it has a different .exe file to run doesn't mean it's not an expansion. You'll still have content from the original DS, it's not like this is a super-rpg-wilson-dating sim. And all we've seen is alpha, don't you guys have faith that klei and capy will be able to make this a full-fledged game?

I think everyone's taking this a bit too seriously. Just because it has a different .exe file to run doesn't mean it's not an expansion. You'll still have content from the original DS, it's not like this is a super-rpg-wilson-dating sim. And all we've seen is alpha, don't you guys have faith that klei and capy will be able to make this a full-fledged game?

OH we loose TON of content dude! Caves, ruins, bosses, seasons, maybe characters and i am sure anything that is ROG related so if this is gonna be standalone or implemented is HUGE difference. Even if they did it like caves (which i hope they don't) it is totally different than standalone game since you can still play DS and ROG.

So this is not expansion because SW just deleting completely ROG and some of main game - i think expansion have different meaning than this right?

If they make it standalone that means DS and ROG is dead. If they add stuff from ROG then ROG is dead since we payed for this DLC and new stuff now this is gonna be in another DLC? Also can you tell me that you will play both games? :) I think that we will play SW a lot then less, go back to DS+ROG then we have two saves and both are just half played (and i don't have time to play two games that are one:) Also Klei said that some DST stuff will be implemented to DS+ROG. So whats up with that? Now we have new content on first game but hey second game have new character :)

You know what i mean?

If they make it standalone that means DS and ROG is dead. If they add stuff from ROG then ROG is dead since we payed for this DLC and new stuff now this is gonna be in another DLC? Also can you tell me that you will play both games? I think that we will play SW a lot then less, go back to DS+ROG then we have two saves and both are just half played (and i don't have time to play two games that are one:) Also Klei said that some DST stuff will be implemented to DS+ROG. So whats up with that? Now we have new content on first game but hey second game have new character   You know what i mean?

I see what you mean, but to be honest I'm just hungry for new content. I mean DLC or not DLC I'll play it either way just because after a while DS (even with RoG) gets repetitive, I'm excited to experience the fresh new content.

The issue isnt just that its a seperate game. Its the fact people want to play everything Dont Starve has to offer without having to decide which of those .exes to run. People were already a litttle upset because DST exists seperatley with its own content, and likely an exclusive dlc, TtA. Now theres news of another version of the game with its own new content. And what happens in the future if they decide to release more content? Will it be DLC for Shipwrecked? A new standalone? Shipwrecked DST?Where will it end. Soon you'll have 5 different versions of largely the same game (concept wise) that could have and should have been integrated together. 

Well i'll drop my two cents in this matter, i love you guys at Klei and i'm gonna buy and play this anyway when it's released, why? because i want to live by the beach and eat fish till i get a disease, build a nice boat and get all the buried treasures (and that's just the content that has been showed so far, we don't even know how BIG it is going to be).

My opinion in the DS+ROG+SW: no way for me, it's a whole different thing in my opinion, you can't mix them all together and expect it not to be a mess, you would have to change the current water and shores and make so we can walk to the beach so the DS+ROG normal world would be in the middle and the SW content in the perimeter, so that would be a mess, the new weather and seasons wouldn't work because we are talking about tropical weather, hurricanes,wind, etc, it just wouldn't work and if they implement it, i don't think would be as good as we expect.

My opinion on a new .exe and not a DLC:  I'll pay anyway either for a DLC or a standalone, but don't mix ROG with it entirely. Maybe you could mix some ROG stuff in SW? yeah but since we are in a new world with new features it is better if you let the new stuff be in it and just re-skin some things that are neccesary, like raincoats (there are no tentacle spots in SW since there is no swamp, so i expect a reskin, what it's totally cool for me) and eyebrellas (i guess you'll include a 100% rain protection for the head slot since there won't be deerclops, so reskin too, totally fine). 
But, in the end i would love to be able to travel from my ROG world there, making a portal, building a boat and just finding a tunnel or something that would let us find this new world, and i understand that would include making it possible for DS only players to get it and travel there, so we would have DS+SW and DS+ROG+SW not sure it that's ok, i think it is ok :) . I'm sure some people don't want the harder DS+RoG that they will find the DS+SW awesome and worth buying.

SO, i'll play it anyway, standalone or DLC, i don't want it to be mixed with RoG but i do want to be able to travel there from my RoG world in some way, be able to enable it along with RoG, make a new world and find my way to the SW content, that way we have the vanilla DS for new players and two DLCs with a lot of new content, instead of two standalones DS and SW that would make new players choose one and prolly be really confused on which one should they pick if they can only afford one of them.

I saw this discussion and had to make an account to post. Usually I just read, but I truly wanted to leave my feedback in case Klei were to see it.

First off, I just want to say THANK YOU for considering to add Shipwrecked as DLC, opposed to as a stand alone game. When I first heard about Shipwrecked, I can't even explain to you how excited I was. Don't Starve is one of my absolute favorite games. My best friend and I play Don't Starve Together on a nightly basis and I'm really hoping to start making Let's Play videos of our adventures together. Finding out that Shipwrecked was meant to be a stand alone release broke our hearts. Dreams of playing in a world with Beefalo, Catcoons, sail boats, and pirates seemed hopeless. I lost all excitement for Shipwrecked, which didn't even seem possible. It suddenly turned from this incredibly flavorful meal to something soggy and tasteless. I'd eat it if I was hungry, but I wouldn't be excited about it.

Now, I have hope. Somehow, the excitement has flooded back into my veins and I'm ready to find every bit of news about Shipwrecked that comes out in the next few months, anxious to see confirmation that it will be DLC. Take your time, if that's the case. Make it perfect. Do what you need to do to implement it into the base game. Please don't separate these wonderful worlds. They were meant to be together.

Finally, I wanted to offer a suggestion as to how to make Shipwrecked work within the old world.

Have you played Settlers of Catan? I'm sure you guys have. Basically, the vanilla Settlers of Catan board is one big island with all sorts of different resources (biomes) that make it up. It's kind of like the Don't Starve world. However, Settlers of Catan released an expansion called Seafarers, that split the island up into several smaller islands. I imagine that you could do this with Don't Starve.

Instead of having a bunch of islands that solely rely on the new environments, split the world of Don't Starve into several large and smaller islands. The bigger land masses can be just like the vanilla/RoG Don't Starve, except that there can be coastlines that have the tropical biome as featured in Shipwrecked. These coastal areas can feature the new weather systems, items, enemies, animals, etc.. From the coasts, you can sail to new islands, making your way onto other coasts that eventually lead into traditional vanilla Don't Starve biomes. There can also be several smaller islands between the bigger land masses that feature ONLY new content from Shipwrecked. 

You don't have Beefalo on the island you started on? Uh oh, you better get a ship ready and sail to a new land. Develop a trade route so that you can bring Beefalo fur and manure from the island you don't want to live on onto the island you do want to live on. It would also be awesome to build cargo ships so you could lure Beefalo on and sail them to a new land closer to your base. Yeah, maybe that sounds tedious, but that's part of the luck and fun of Don't Starve: you don't know what kind of world you're going to get dropped into. 

Anyways, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there in hopes that someone at Klei sees them. Just know that you have a LOT of support in turning Shipwrecked into DLC. I think we'll all happily wait for it to be put out correctly, rather than wasted as a stand alone product. If you feel that the game works great as a stand alone, then surely that can be an option when customizing the world you want to play in!

Thank you for getting our hopes up, again. You're an amazing company that has put out one of the greatest games in a long, long time. I'd play Don't Starve over Minecraft any day of the week. We just want the game to be as incredible as it can be. Splitting it up detracts from the whole, which no one wants.

Best of luck, Klei! Keep up the great work. :)

I keep hearing alot of people saying that Shipwrecked wouldnt mix well with ROG, wether it be the artstyle, or one or two game mechanics like the sea or the weather tweaks, which Im not fully convinced wouldnt integrate well with ROG. Regardless let me ask you this. How did they let that happen? The main concept of the game setting sail on the sea and exploring new tropical biomes sounds like a sure fit for ROG. People are mad because they wanted this experience to let them do that while at the same time being able to experience ROG and base game DS. If at some point during development of Shipwrecked they reached the conclusion that they changed too many things to integrate into the base game then that is simply bad game design, NOT A BAD GAME, but bad design nonetheless.

I keep hearing alot of people saying that Shipwrecked wouldnt mix well with ROG, wether it be the artstyle, or one or two game mechanics like the sea or the weather tweaks, which Im not fully convinced wouldnt integrate well with ROG. Regardless let me ask you this. How did they let that happen? The main concept of the game setting sail on the sea and exploring new tropical biomes sounds like a sure fit for ROG. People are mad because they wanted this experience to let them do that while at the same time being able to experience ROG and base game DS. If at some point during development of Shipwrecked they reached the conclusion that they changed too many things to integrate into the base game then that is simply bad game design, NOT A BAD GAME, but bad design nonetheless.

No, it doesn't sound like a sure fit, it sounds like a pretty BIG change.

Copy + pasted directly from my post in the other thread about why you can't simply integrate this in or create some kind of in-game portal to the content

If they are changing as much as I suspect they are changing (with the whole activation of new things and deactivation/removal of others in the game engine), then all that would do is drastically increase development time (and cost) to appease the people, who will probably view it as a rather hamfisted way of bringing players to the content anyway.

I will not presume to speak for everyone, but I don't want to search for a portal just so I can access Shipwrecked content, I want to jump head-first into it.

I am kind of disappointed as well hearing it's going to be standalone. Since it seemed it was going down the RoG path of just adding in content to the base game. RoG in my opinion was perfect DLC integration I have ever seen,  and gave you the most “bang for you buck.”

Originally I assumed you were guys were going to use Kevin's cave hack again. So when you came across a randomly spawned wrecked boat in the over-world, it would take you to a new map generation (like caves). When you wanted to go back you just simply had to go to the world's end (corners of the maps) in order to back to the main over world.

Nevertheless I am curious what is the problem with some sort of integration? Is the old engine reached it limits and can't use the cave hack? Or is it because the new content would simply not be possible without a whole new DS engine overhaul like DS:T? Is it because it finally hits that memory limit that happens when you have too many mods loaded into DS engine? The only answer I would not except is that it's because it would be easier to port over to other platforms without worrying about future issues.

I too am not very fond over the idea of having to chose over regular Don't Starve or Shipwrecked. While I'd learn to get over it if it is released as a standalone game, I'd much prefer it to actually be part of the regular game like Reign of Giants was.

Why was it developed as standalone to begin with? That's my question.

I will not buy Shipwrecked.

I will not help people mod Shipwrecked.

I will not use this forum anymore once Shipwrecked releases.

That is my feedback.

This is just childish. There's absolutely no reason to boycott the game or Klei in general over this. I don't agree with the decision either but that's many steps too far.

Some of you must really not realize what you ask for. HOW CAN YOU ACTUALLY ARGUE AGAINST DLC? If you don't care if its dlc or standalone just stand aside(see what I did there? XD)

To me even if the expansion is standalone I will give it a chance to impress but let's be serious here, dlc is what we really should be looking for. My idea of the dlc is that i can access contents from both ROG and SW from a single save.

So the main issue of SW not being a dlc is that new characters cannot be played in ROG and in Caves(I consider Caves to be a separate experience). This takes away a lot of fun that I was expecting. Also the new SW content added to the base game would create NEW INTERACTIONS between items and mobs. The addition of new content doesn't simply add additional amount of game hours, it MULTIPLIES the amount of game hours.

Second problem is that we are indeed forced to choose between SW and ROG (screw DS vanilla players), after all some of us will prefer ROG and some will prefer SW. What happens then? The community will be split up. We are gonna have ROG camp, SW camp and to make it more funny a DST camp cuz why not(someone mentioned dst,otherwise I would have forgotten about it). And then in the future what is gonna receive additional content? SW or ROG? or DST? Neglect one of the sides and people might start leavng the game. Then Klei will end up with a smaller community with 2 camps. Go further in time and the game will end because people prefer different things and they leave because their part of the game gets no update. Don't do this Klei, splitting it up between multiplier and singleplayer is understandable and the right choice. Splitting up singleplayer into two parts is not,

Finally for all those standalone suckers (because i can XD) you should stop with all the arguments about dlc being technically difficult to implement because the only people that can say it is Klei(and cappy but who cares about those guys). And I didn't see JoeW mention once in his reply anything about that. And to preempt some of you balance  is not the same as techncal issues. Lets focus on game content, game mechanics and game design.

I think there's (almost) a consensus on the fact that dlc would be better than standalone. 

That's why we're asking them to try their maximum to make it happen.

Because I think it's not too late to change the way they planned it, in regards to what the community wants. 

Is there somebody here who would rather have it as a standalone ? And why ? (real question)

I think there's (almost) a consensus on the fact that dlc would be better than standalone. 

That's why we're asking them to try their maximum to make it happen.

Because I think it's not too late to change the way they planned it, in regards to what the community wants. 

Is there somebody here who would rather have it as a standalone ? And why ? (real question)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/57632-why-not-make-shipwrecked-mountable/

Not to buff myself up but I think this is the best compromise :)

So, you're saying it's impossible to replace and expand the original generation of the sea to the Shipwrecked version? That sounds like nonsense to me.

Season mechanics would clash, all I'm saying. I have a secret mod team that is going to be working on a secret project involving all of this when shipwrecked comes out though, so don't worry about that!

Season mechanics would clash, all I'm saying. I have a secret mod team that is going to be working on a secret project involving all of this when shipwrecked comes out though, so don't worry about that!

Since when are YOU good at modding?

Archived