Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Adamuchi

Stun guards or sneak ?

Adamuchi    2

Hello !

Usually do you stun all the guards you see ?

I used to do so, bu I just realise that could be a bad idea and some times it's better to just sneak behind them ? 

Thank you for your advices

KidneyBeanBoy    846

Usually I try to look for ways to sneak past them, but as soon as I get to the point where I have to maneuver past 3-4 guards at a time I try to lure them away from the group and stun/sedate them.

Puritifyer    6

Generally I try to sneak around guards unless they impede my progress in severe ways.

Creating distractions are a fantastic way to ghost through a level when possible since it lets you sneak past enemies without angering them. Using sprint to create a single tile of sound and disabling it works somewhat often (especially if you chain it to draw them away).

Often times a guard who impedes my process severely (we all know about those guards who are just out of hearing range yet are watching the objective) generally are the ones I take down. Having a guard who spots and is actively hunting for your agents knocked out can make a difference for you being stealthy (since you don't have to worry about an unexpected guest running in the room while you hide).

Shorthand for the above: Sneak around guards when you can, act slightly aggressive if necessary (blocked progress or spotted). Keep reading if you want some advice for ghosting levels.

Prediction and Peaking are far more valuable when ghosting, the ability to learn how a guard moves throughout the level is quite valuable to avoiding them, specially since you may have an agent sitting in a room where numerous guards are just inches away from spotting your agent.

The programs Ping and Wisp are fairly useful: Ping lets you make noise to attract nearby guards to the source (where you decided to target the program) and Wisp will let you TAG a guard to identify their position and movement throughout the level (without needing to predict them again). These used in conjunction with a rough spot (where an agent will be spotted either when you run from an area or when the guard comes around the corner) to draw them away from the area.

Sprinting is far more useful, the ability to rapidly run and hide out of earshot when you might otherwise be seen.

If you knock someone out, drag them out of sight. This one is slightly obvious, but still a good reminder for keeping guards pinned.

Sorry for the rambling tips, but hopefully it makes things a bit easier for you.

Adamuchi    2

Yeah, I used to sneak when I must and stun every time I can. Not the good way ! 

Thank you for all the tips !

Good tip to use the sprint to distract ! I was wondering how. I also use a closed door and open it to attract a guard somewhere. 

Shatner    25

I played through the entire story-mode once without ever stunning or killing a guard. Once your agents have the ability to pick pockets (Anarchy-2), you really can get through most situations with stealth and patience. Once you adjust to the different kind of play style, it actually becomes very easy as missions lack the chaos of roving guard packs; something common towards the end of a mission with a stun-heavy team. The noise-making software ("Ping", I think) is great. Also, I've intentionally placed EMPs so the noise of them going off attracts guards.

As an added plus, not having to carry weaponry (plus supporting items like paralyzers) frees up a LOT of inventory slots. That said, going that route means you can't succeed at stealing an access card off of an executive since he must first be stunned.

Sphingx    91

Sneak, but if you have to stun, have a plan in advance for ensuring the guard stays stunned for the rest of the level. 

BTW archive Prism is really the Queen of sneaking and distraction tactics. I'm having a blast with her so far.

Puritifyer    6

BTW archive Prism is really the Queen of sneaking and distraction tactics. I'm having a blast with her so far.

She is definitely a fantastic archive agent, makes non-standard program setups possible as well (usually modded ones where you have no firewall breaker) since she has both a disguise kit and her buster chip.

warfreak2    30

Evasion is generally preferable to tasering guards, yes. I didn't see anybody explain the reason for this in the thread yet though: it's because when guards are left unalerted, they will go on their patrol route (or remain stationary) until the very late alarm stages. Therefore once you have gotten past them, they will not bother you again. If you taser them instead, then when they wake up they will not be patrolling, but hunting, and will search around the map looking for you in an unpredictable way.

It takes time to learn who to sneak but its the best aproach.

Follow the sugestions on this topic and you will be fine.

Also try to use a TAG gun. Its cheap and very usefull.

Once you TAG a guard, you can still see their patrolling paths even if the are out of sight.

bobthe    3

I mix up my choice on whether to evade or stun each game. This is mostly to mix things up a bit and try different strategies, items, and augments. In my current playthrough though I am doing neither. Nika is dual-wielding flurry guns with the 3-ammo non-piercing lethal gun as a backup. She's been known to kill 4 guards in a single turn before WITHOUT raising the alarm at all (with armor piercing 4 to boot). Then I just move them off to an out of the way room. It costs a ton of energy but I have a very low energy usage program setup and three Laptop IIIs for more energy so it's not usually an issue. Levels become SO MUCH easier after you've killed 4 guards!

I should note that this is on Endless Expert mode so I have had plenty of time to gear up and all four team members have all skills maxed so moving corpses is pretty quick.

In the same game I have Banks with three Chameleon Cloak IIIs and three Buster Chip IIIs. She just runs around the bases way ahead of the team using the buster chips to unlock stuff and scout out the map. This is part of my low-energy setup, but I also use the three laptops mentioned above and I use the "Charge" program as well.