Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Arcita

It seems like there's a lull in player activity. How can we inject some energy into the community?

Arcita    438

For the past few weeks or months, I've noticed that general interest or at least participation in Don't Starve has dwindled. When I scroll through the server list, I feel like I'm walking through a ghost town; most of the large, dedicated servers are deserted most of the time, and the rest of the servers are either private or empty. On twitch, global viewership seems to average around 20 to 30. I've witnessed several big youtubers consider a DS let's play, but ultimately decide against it because they've determined there isn't enough interest in the game.

The developers are doing a superlative job in the midst of very tough problems I'm sure, and I don't think we could ask more of them. I'm just afraid that regardless of their efforts, a game that I love will fizzle out completely.

So what do you think has caused this lapse in activity?

Though it's never been a problem for me, I'm thinking that griefing might be at the root of it. A select few experienced players go to any server they can and systematically annihilate the efforts of newbies, until everyone just leaves or hides behind walls.

I think a third-party, impartial, evidence-based, opt-in system for automatically banning griefers from servers whose admins participate in the system would work wonderfully. I'm thinking of something similar to mcbans.com for Minecraft. And yes I know a few of these griefers read these forums, and you're going to whine about it.

ButterStuffed    1772

For most people Don't Starve loses it's magic once they've figured out how to survive and thrive, (Or tag along someone who's good) and with nothing much harder than summer to do it becomes boring. Once caves come out I'm sure a lot of people will start playing again.

Auth    9811

I turn dedicated servers off, they tend to hog the list. Once they're gone, the list is full of servers with people, i have no idea what you're talking about. My main issue is when I join a server and the owner is abusing the console. The game seriously isn't fun the more console you use. Sure, it's silly, but it isn't fun, and this leaves an impression on most players. Without cave content, the game is much easier (and shorter) as there's no constant need to have ancient structures to show off your wealth or making houndius shootius to blast most mobs to mars.

XirmiX    754

For the past few weeks or months, I've noticed that general interest or at least participation in Don't Starve has dwindled. When I scroll through the server list, I feel like I'm walking through a ghost town; most of the large, dedicated servers are deserted most of the time, and the rest of the servers are either private or empty.

* That actually makes sense in terms of dedicated servers, because dedicated servers often run almost all the time if not all the time, whilst players don't play the game 24/7. Before there were more hosted servers, and so, servers could only be run if the host is playing on it at least. Now, because of dedicated servers and their functionality, there are more empty servers because people don't play the game 24/7 whilst the servers themselves can do.

On twitch, global viewership seems to average around 20 to 30. I've witnessed several big youtubers consider a DS let's play, but ultimately decide against it because they've determined there isn't enough interest in the game.

* Because a lot of people can play the game for themselves and get the same exact experience, not to mention that multiplayer is actually very cheap and that you can actually still get keys for free, I think, from Rhymes with Play. The game itself, as of its mechanics is quite repetitive and requires a lot of knowledge to progress. I'm aiming to kind of "fix" that with my second mkd project by making an overhaul on the game, but that's something off topic to talk about...

The developers are doing a superlative job in the midst of very tough problems I'm sure, and I don't think we could ask more of them. I'm just afraid that regardless of their efforts, a game that I love will fizzle out completely.

* Yes, the way the game is mechanised, it will do in time and especially once its lore is fully understood. In terms of gameplay, as I mentioned earlier, it isn't the content, but the high amounts of simplicity in mechanics and no in-depth mechanics which would make the game ever so more amusing. But devs are way too far in with new content to change that, so, as I said before, I'm planning on "fixing" that.

* Not that much new content recently.

* Game's mechanics not being complex enough and engaging enough with the player.

Though it's never been a problem for me, I'm thinking that griefing might be at the root of it. A select few experienced players go to any server they can and systematically annihilate the efforts of newbies, until everyone just leaves or hides behind walls.

* Firstly, what do you mean by "hides behind walls"? Irl? In the game? And why? Do you mean it literally or not? In terms of experienced players beating the newbies, sure, the game is built that way, where "The more you know" you'll be more successful, but this kind of scenario, I could only see it happening in a PvP server, which, atm is just crap. And no, griefing isn't the main problem here due to servers being empty or more people being like "meh" on the game, but rather the reasons I gave earlier.

I think a third-party, impartial, evidence-based, opt-in system for automatically banning griefers from servers whose admins participate in the system would work wonderfully. I'm thinking of something similar to mcbans.com for Minecraft. And yes I know a few of these griefers read these forums, and you're going to whine about it.

Sorry, what? I'm confused as to what you're suggesting here, and nk, I won't click on that minecraft link there, because I don't particularly like minecraft.

Flare2V    1247

When the content comes, so will the community. For now I'm guessing the best option is just to wait it out. If you want to help, though, buy some copies of DST and gift it to your friends. That'll do something for sure!

Mario384    1082

Sorry, what? I'm confused as to what you're suggesting here, and nk, I won't click on that minecraft link there, because I don't particularly like minecraft.

The link goes to box of tissues.

A box is square.

Minecraft is made of squares.

There are boxes in Minecraft.

Therefore boxes are related to Minecraft.

Now, hold your shock, I know this seem nuts, but there's more.

Minecraft has 9 letters.

Minecraft is made out of two seperate words.

9+2 = 11

9/11.

What shape did the twin towers resemble?  You guessed it, boxes.

Therefore Minecraft is a game about 9/11.

And what did people need when they heard about the event?  Tissues.  From boxes.

Everything falls into place now.

But there's more.

XirmiX hates Minecraft, which has boxes and is directly related to 9/11.

The direct conclusion that we reach is...

XirmiX had nothing to do with 9/11 and he's that one guy who says he didn't click a link despite most likely having clicked it and shoe-horning an insult in to a game people like in the mainstream just to piss off someone in the fourms.

That person is not me.

(Mind you, 9/11 is no joke and was a serious event.  Please do not believe I undermine the bad things which occurred on that day. 9/11 was only included to bring you this strong evidence against XirmiX.

May the poor souls who died on that day rest in peace.)

XirmiX    754

The link goes to box of tissues.

A box is square.

Minecraft is made of squares.

There are boxes in Minecraft.

Therefore boxes are related to Minecraft.

Now, hold your shock, I know this seem nuts, but there's more.

Minecraft has 9 letters.

Minecraft is made out of two seperate words.

9+2 = 11

9/11.

What shape did the twin towers resemble? You guessed it, boxes.

Therefore Minecraft is a game about 9/11.

And what did people need when they heard about the event? Tissues. From boxes.

Everything falls into place now.

But there's more.

XirmiX hates Minecraft, which has boxes and is directly related to 9/11.

The direct conclusion that we reach is...

XirmiX had nothing to do with 9/11 and he's that one guy who says he didn't click a link despite most likely having clicked it and shoe-horning an insult in to a game people like in the mainstream just to piss off someone in the fourms.

That person is not me.

(Mind you, 9/11 is no joke and was a serious event. Please do not believe I undermine the bad things which occurred on that day. 9/11 was only included to bring you this strong evidence against XirmiX.

May the poor souls who died on that day rest in peace.)

XD I laughed so hard I started crying... But FINE, I'll check the link.

SillyWilson    287

Yeah griefers are a bummer. I'll usually join another server, but I have a limit. If I encounter too many bad games in a row I'll lose my interest in the game for the day. Though my drive to keep playing is to complete the game, I haven't made it to summer in together yet. I usually run out of time on the computer due to having to switch servers a couple times first.

Maybe people are bored of the same old thing every time? Bigfoot said here that boredom due to long lasting worlds would be adressed with the new content they are developing, Through The Ages: 

Through the Ages
Since DST came out, we’ve been hammering on technical improvements that make the game smooth for everyone. We’ve been working on rubber banding, network performance, bugs, balance, administrative tools for hosts, full mod support, and we’ve even been adding new DST-specific content.

In addition to these things, we knew that we would also need larger scale content to really support the new worlds that are being created. Specifically, worlds are lasting not just months but years, and those who are behind the scenes are unhappy with how easy-going the inhabitants have become.

We’re thus working on a brand new, free content pack called “Through the Ages”, chock full of new content designed specifically for multiplayer. This expansion is free for all players, and will be available in the Spring of 2015.

Here's a sneak peek of what’s to come:

Though it is kinda past spring 2015 :-)

I think Arcita means a opt-in filter for servers with a database of every griefer caught griefing ever, that will instantly ban griefers from their server if they tried to join.

XirmiX    754

I think Arcita means a opt-in filter for servers with a database of every griefer caught griefing ever, that will instantly ban griefers from their server if they tried to join.

Then that would mean that people who were falsely accused for banning would end up being banned from every server ever except their own. Wouldn't be much of a "together", now would it? I think that being banned from one person's servers is enough. There are hosts who are being dicks too and I've had that experience multiple times.

Also, you've never made it to Summer in DST?! Duude! How about you find me on steam and tomorrow, if we're online at the same time, you could come into a server that I've been playing on quite a while and which is already past day 1000! I've even managed to kill dragonfly 7 times there, in the last one there being 5 of us!

ThaumicParrot    855

I think the problem is public servers aren't consistent. They reset every day or so. Whenever I go on a public server, it feels like I'm doing it all for nothing. I think if public servers would take "breaks" instead of resetting, that would make me feel happier to go back each day and work on stuff. Also I think even just a pinch of new content would bring up people's spirits.

SillyWilson    287

Then that would mean that people who were falsely accused for banning would end up being banned from every server ever except their own. Wouldn't be much of a "together", now would it? I think that being banned from one person's servers is enough. There are hosts who are being dicks too and I've had that experience multiple times.

Also, you've never made it to Summer in DST?! Duude! How about you find me on steam and tomorrow, if we're online at the same time, you could come into a server that I've been playing on quite a while and which is already past day 1000! I've even managed to kill dragonfly 7 times there, in the last one there being 5 of us!

Ah I see your point, fair enough.

As for joining you on a day 1000 server, I wouldn't really like i but thank you for the offer. I'd feel so out of place, I don't know this world's history, I didn't help found it, theres probably nothing left to do at that point other than thrive or die to hounds. I'd feel useless. That's why I like to start again at the beginning of a world. I don't liek having flint and everything handed to me on a silver platter, I'd rather work for it, earn it, savor victory. I wouldn't mind adding you, though most people I add on DST just end up pileing on my list and never really beign talked to, though it's nice to see the same people again :D

JoeW    28819

It's not really a lull, we had a huge boost from giving away 2 million copies of DST to all the DS players. =)

I wouldn't really count the empty servers as being a sign of anything, the way our server listing works shows you a ton of servers, you might not really need to see. Because it's so easy to start up a server, there are a lot of servers. We are consistently making changes to make the server listing show more appropriate servers. 

We're still growing consistently, however, it's going to remain relatively subdued until we finish up caves. After that, we will start really pushing hard on balance, PvP and making public servers more enjoyable. After that, we will be working on Through the Ages, and other "things".

But please, keep posting your feedback and ideas about your experiences; we're really getting close to finishing up with caves, and feedback about your experiences on public servers is really helpful. 

XirmiX    754

Ah I see your point, fair enough.

As for joining you on a day 1000 server, I wouldn't really like i but thank you for the offer. I'd feel so out of place, I don't know this world's history, I didn't help found it, theres probably nothing left to do at that point other than thrive or die to hounds. I'd feel useless. That's why I like to start again at the beginning of a world. I don't liek having flint and everything handed to me on a silver platter, I'd rather work for it, earn it, savor victory. I wouldn't mind adding you, though most people I add on DST just end up pileing on my list and never really beign talked to, though it's nice to see the same people again :D

Well, it's Autumn atm, so, you could join and go off into another corner, may be expand on one of the smaller bases we have set up (there are 6 bases total that I know of, including the main base).

@JoeW I would be VERY glad if you guys at Klei would finish caves before Autumn (irl) arrives and I'm hoping that they'll be available for older servers to spawn in or would be spawned in as soon as the game geta updated (like with moleworms) so that the 1000 day world that I played in isn't for nothing.

SillyWilson    287

Well, it's Autumn atm, so, you could join and go off into another corner, may be expand on one of the smaller bases we have set up (there are 6 bases total that I know of, including the main base).

Hmmm, no thanks I think I'll pass. Thank you for offering though :>

Talking about it anymore would be off-topic.

oCrapaCreeper    3120

It's not really a lull, we had a huge boost from giving away 2 million copies of DST to all the DS players. =)

I wouldn't really count the empty servers as being a sign of anything, the way our server listing works shows you a ton of servers, you might not really need to see. Because it's so easy to start up a server, there are a lot of servers. We are consistently making changes to make the server listing show more appropriate servers. 

We're still growing consistently, however, it's going to remain relatively subdued until we finish up caves. After that, we will start really pushing hard on balance, PvP and making public servers more enjoyable. After that, we will be working on Through the Ages, and other "things".

But please, keep posting your feedback and ideas about your experiences; we're really getting close to finishing up with caves, and feedback about your experiences on public servers is really helpful. 

JoeW delivers again!

I think that the lack of updates\new content and the lack of information regarding it may be the reason for this.

@JanH, cough caves cough ahem

edit: 200th post !!!

No... no... you're wrong - not to be condescending, but this is the kind of suggestion that ruins games and developers.  It is the multiplayer aspect of it combined with the people of these times.  We live in a time where instant gratification and impatience are ridiculously prevalent.  You'll notice that in multiplayer it is rare that you will find players dedicating and committing to a proper, serious whack at a world.  Theres this vibe of 'this could be minecraft right now'.

Notice the multiplayer games that are the biggest right now.  What are they all doing that's the same?  They're all not actually as good as they are popular - weird.  Another thing: they're spewing out content updates and hype as much as they can.  League of Legends is fun, but it does not deserve the title of world's most played game.  My point is that people who are feeling what you are come and complain 'I think we need more content because we're all feelin' a bit bored here', when you don't even realise that your multiplayer experience will inherently be boring because of the nature of people these days.  

No matter how many updates DST will get, after a few months of no updates people will start droppin' off because their need for a constant flow of cheap candy will be found elsewhere.

Single  player games don't have this problem, and it's where Klei should have kept this game.  God dangit, DST is going to **** up DS :(

SuperPsiPower    1466

It may not seem like it, but we're still in the early stages of beta. I think caves will rein burst the community 1000 fold. So who is ready to have gems kill you from falling from the cave's roof? ^^ post-435664-0-55851100-1439300409_thumb.

BeastNips    105

Single  player games don't have this problem, and it's where Klei should have kept this game.  God dangit, DST is going to **** up DS  :(

I dunno mate, I think DS can easily just ignore DST. I like that the two games are differing from each other so much, it's like they're going down different paths. We're even getting a new expansion for DS aren't we? 

I still enjoy both games as two very different games.

You're right on everything else though! I'm ashamed to admit I used to love WoW until the give-the-public-what-they-want updates every month or so. 

werlpolf    64

Yeahh, I think the most players, who just playing DST don't know how great it is with caves. And also making PvP more easier for noobs espeacilly just for self defense.

So, I just agree:

- new content or content from DS

- more community-like-playing in public server then griefing

The 2nd point demotivates ALL (noobs and better) player, who just like to ve fun on public server WITH others. I personally wish to ve more PvP public worlds, since in non-PvP worlds bases and everything else can just be burned so easily by just one dude and the only thing, what all others can do, is watching.

Anyway, DST is a super awesome game!!! :-)

I dunno mate, I think DS can easily just ignore DST. I like that the two games are differing from each other so much, it's like they're going down different paths. We're even getting a new expansion for DS aren't we? 

I still enjoy both games as two very different games.

You're right on everything else though! I'm ashamed to admit I used to love WoW until the give-the-public-what-they-want updates every month or so. 

Yeah, I know they've not just jumped ship on DS, but I do worry how easily it will be for them to lose sight of it.  When there's a multiplayer game with this much potential, the 'community' has the potential to engulf the developers.  I've seen it so many times, which is why I am very careful not to stop hating DST :p

ALSO, I keep imagining what DS would be if DST hadn't come along.  Damn, they should have just added in LAN support or some **** :p  forget the internet man, yknow?

Flare2V    1247

Hey man that's not nice.