Let´s talk about the EnableMovementPrediction

So I have been playing a bit more and I finally figured out how to open commands. So I tried the ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) and it works like a charm. I can kill people easily...

BUT

The game works like crap, when you enable the command the game becomes jaggy and laggy, and it´s really not fun. So what we got is one mode that basically allows you to be OP in fighting, but the rest of the game works horribly, and then another mode where everything works as it should but you  get your ass handed to you every single time.  

I know some people are going to see this as whining, but I do think this is a legitimate problem...

What does that command do?I don't know

Mine frame rate is always about 14--30,that is good enough for don't starve

And about the mode.Everything has to have downsides(or trade back for that matters).You just gotta choose what downside(s) you can handle

Actually, what movement prediction does is, while it is enabled, moving and performing actions happen on your screen as if you were hosting your own server - no lag, instant reaction time, etc. However, because of communication lag with the server you are connected to, any actions that you appear to be taking on your screen aren't actually reflected in the server for X milliseconds, with X being your ping. This is why doing actions (picking up items/harvesting twigs, etc) can sometimes appear to take longer than in singleplayer, because you are actually a few steps behind where your screen pretends you are (and why you need to press keys preemptively to take actions with the same overall speed as in singleplayer, since it takes a few milliseconds to cancel actions as well).

When movement prediction is disabled, you see only what the server sees; when you try to move or do something, nothing happens for a split second as your command is sent to the server, and only then do you start moving or gathering or whatever. This way, you have more accurate info on your screen, so you know exactly where you are and what you are doing at any given moment, rather than seeing into the future when prediction is enabled. This seeing into the future is why prediction doesn't work well in pvp, since the future you are seeing may not actually happen if you are for example, attack-stunned by another player.

tl;dr : Both with or without prediction, you have the same lag between your computer and the server, but turning it on or off basically switches your screen from viewing your game's data vs viewing the server's data.

I'm not 100% sure why this affects pvp so heavily, but I think it might be because of this: let's say that we have two players, A and B. A has prediction enabled, B doesn't. They both click on each other to attack and start moving towards each other. On A's screen, he reaches B and starts attacking, but he's not actually there yet because of lag, and so he freezes with his spear in the air; a split second later on B's screen, he reaches A and starts attacking without any freezing. It might be the split second of waiting before attacking that makes the difference, but I'm not sure. Either way, more accurate info is better, so player B obviously has an advantage over A.

I probably could've explained this more succinctly, but meh.

@Snowhusky5 You did a great job of explaining it. Anyone with any questions on what it does just read his post. It's worth the read.

Having prediction disabled also helps quite a bit in in pve. It's not the world of difference that it makes in pvp but if you're an experienced Don't starve player who knows you need to be exactly X blocks away to dodge that next attack it's invaluable.

Ok...But the issue still remains.

Play in servers with less than 150 ping.

If without movement prediction you are extremely jaggy and laggy as you say, with movement prediction it would be just as infuriating, rubberbanding to the correct position all the time, and swinging a spear for 3 seconds in the air in order to connect the hit.

legitimate problem...
All in all DS will always be a PvE focused game with PvP glued on just for a lil' funnsies. Don't take it too seriously, there are way too many issues with it. I am guaranteeing you right now, DST PvP will NEVER be perfect. It is what it is, broken, unbalanced, fun. Entirely there because "Why not?".

What does that command do?

The server is constantly trying to make the game look like singleplayer DS by using "Movement Prediction" In which you are allowed to move about as you would normally, but that is not actually happening. You move on your screen but you move on the server a few seconds later. That is why sometimes you get pulled backwards, the game has realised that the action you attempted was not actually possible so it "rubberbands" you back to the point that the action became impossible. 

Using the command simply removes this prediction and allows you to see what is actually happening, therefore the game appears much more laggy because that's how laggy it actually is. And since you can see where you are on the server with it turned off it gives people an advantage in PvP due to the fact that they can kite players with the prediction on since they aren't seeing them next to them yet, AKA people with it on (this is the default) see all servers with a delay, much like how Twitch.tv has a delay on it's streams. 

So I have been playing a bit more and I finally figured out how to open commands. So I tried the ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) and it works like a charm. I can kill people easily...

BUT

The game works like crap, when you enable the command the game becomes jaggy and laggy, and it´s really not fun. So what we got is one mode that basically allows you to be OP in fighting, but the rest of the game works horribly, and then another mode where everything works as it should but you  get your ass handed to you every single time.  

I know some people are going to see this as whining, but I do think this is a legitimate problem...

Join a PvP server that has a good ping then! Even for a psycho like you that should be self-explanatory, right?

I'm not even sure why that is allowed in game.

Clearly you didn't read ANY of the posts that explain EXACTLY what it does.  Its allowed because maybe you dont want to always be rubberbanding or you'd like to see where you actually are rather than waiting for the game to predict where you are.  Its not cheating people, its not an exploit, a macro or a mode.  Its a command that you can choose to use or choose not to.  Personally I don't know why EVERYONE doesn't use it.  The game moves so much smoother and you can actually play it.  I know immediately after and update if its been re-enabled because the game all the sudden doesn't play right.  Trust me disabling movement prediction provides you with a MUCH MUCH better experience PvE as well as PvP. 

I'm not even sure why that is allowed in game. 

See: @Clwnbaby

psycho

Does XirmiX now consider everyone that PvP's a psycho? Sign me up then.

@blowtorch, Yes. The server is lying to you about where you are so it looks nicer, that other player has told the server to not lie to them and therefore they can see where you're really standing.

@ThaumicParrot, The host of a server automatically has this, the game still counts move prediction as being on but since the server is what generates the prediction and the host is the server they have none. That's why you never join a player hosted PVP server, the host ALWAYS wins.

However if you're hosting a dedicated server on your PC and are playing on it as a client then you likely will have a slight ping even if it' s just 5, you'll still see what's happening a lot clearer but would still benefit from using the command. 

@Clwnbaby, sorry, I phrased that wrongly. What I meant to say is that it's just a setting that is exploitable. I just don't think it works well with anybody with high base ping. Maybe it should be configurable only out of server(like, only in the options menu in the main screen, or opening a prompt saying that you have to disconnect from the server when trying it.) to prevent exploits.

And yes, I'm aware that people with lower pings will always have advantages. That's kinda to be expected, though.

If you host a server on the same PC that your playing on, does that mean you have zero ping, and therefore Enablemovementprediction wouldn't do anything?
 That's correct in theory, although in practice there can still be small lags due to too much going on in the server for it to be able to complete simulation ticks in time, and any time these small lags occur you'll get some desynchronization with movement prediction.

@RalphKastro

All in all DS will always be a PvE focused game with PvP glued on just for a lil' funnsies. Don't take it too seriously, there are way too many issues with it. I am guaranteeing you right now, DST PvP will NEVER be perfect. It is what it is, broken, unbalanced, fun. Entirely there because "Why not?".

The only way it could be considered an exploit is in a competitive environment and I really don't think PvP in games like this should be taken that seriously. If anything I'd encourage Klei to have the command automatically enabled upon entering a PvP world. That would at least ensure that everyone was on a level playing field - ping pending - and thus leaving the command as optional in PvE, as @Clwnbaby said the command is still very useful even in PvE and I personally find the game unplayable without it. 

I'm sure they will just add it as an option in the game menu itself that can be saved.

Fighting on the dedicated servers (imho) is fun/more difficult because nobody bans people for their gameplay styles.

For me and some other players, DST is too easy (we don't need to pay attention to survive), so fighting other players makes it fun for us.

I agree that pvp on this game is more fun and shold not be viewed as a competition. The illusion of competition is for those still learning to pvp. Once you figure out the tricks it's pretty standard stuff.

Archived