I want storms, I want wales and I want Cthulhu.

Cthulhu such a over used boss suggestion for video games, I mean the guy's one of the least interesting and weakest deity's Lovecraft named.

Nobody ever talked about Cthulhu making a combat appearance. All that was asked for on this thread is cthulhu making an appearance in DST, even if it's just a reference or joke.

EDIT: And whilst Cthulhu is indeed a less mindblowing and simpler Lovecraftian horror, that's probably the number one reason why it's the most known one.

Though now that you bring it up, I want fishmen, frog mounts and nukes to be in DST.

EDIT2: No why a dragon?! Dragons are way more overused than squidmen or alike.

Nobody ever talked about Cthulhu making a combat appearance. All that was asked for on this thread is cthulhu making an appearance in DST, even if it's just a reference or joke.

Cthulhu still doesn't fit the role much. Dagon would be better suited really. Plus I feel salty today.

I dunno, Cthulhu making appearances of any kind in games seems kinda over-used. Plus, as far as I'm aware, Don't Starve almost exclusively uses original creatures. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is the Krampus, and he doesn't seem to have gotten a lot of support from the devs. So, yeah, I don't think Cthulhu would fit very well.

He said Dagon, not dragon. No r.

No. Cthulhu doesn't work well in video games. He is meant to be kept vague and mysterious. That's why things like him only really work in writing.

Besides, Klei isn't the kind of company to rely on the work of others. They'd be better off creating their own eldritch abomination. I for one still want to know what else lies below those giant cave tentacles.

No. Cthulhu doesn't work well in video games. He is meant to be kept vague and mysterious. That's why things like him only really work in writing.

Besides, Klei isn't the kind of company to rely on the work of others. They'd be better off creating their own eldritch abomination. I for one still want to know what else lies below those giant cave tentacles.

*cough* extra credits *cough*

I always thought that the old ones mentioned in the end of adventure mode were supposed to be cthulhu style entities i.e. super powerful things that don't care much for your existence and make you go insane.

In all seriousness though, I would love to learn more about these "old ones" (or were they called great ones I can't recall). Through the WC puzzles we know a good deal about Maxwell, but the old ones seem to be the real villains. It would be cool if they were mentioned more than once.

EDIT: And whilst Cthulhu is indeed a less mindblowing and simpler Lovecraftian horror, that's probably the number one reason why it's the most known one.

Though now that you bring it up, I want fishmen, frog mounts and nukes to be in DST.

Actually that's not the full reason, Cthulhu's the most known because when the old racist HP died his other writer friends coined the term "cthulhu mytho's" to describe his lore and setting. The Call of Cthulhu while not the story that ground in the lore of Lovecraft comic horrors did establish some of it.

Edit: Though if you wanted to count them, some of the mytho deities did appear earlier in the dreamland cycle he wrote which dates before the mytho's where a thing.

*cough* extra credits *cough*

I always thought that the old ones mentioned in the end of adventure mode were supposed to be cthulhu style entities i.e. super powerful things that don't care much for your existence and make you go insane.

In all seriousness though, I would love to learn more about these "old ones" (or were they called great ones I can't recall). Through the WC puzzles we know a good deal about Maxwell, but the old ones seem to be the real villains. It would be cool if they were mentioned more than once.

Giant cosmic eldritch horrors are nothing new, they date back before the old racist coot was making his stories, just that they're most associated with lovecraft.

Giant cosmic eldritch horrors are nothing new, they date back before the old racist coot was making his stories, just that they're most associated with lovecraft.

Well considering the genre is named after him, I kind of doubt that. Your dismissal of Lovecraft as an "old racist coot" kind of undermines the significance of his work. His stories completely influenced the horror genre as we know it today. Themes of forbidden knowledge, the fragility of human sanity, and mankind's utter helplessness are all result's of H.P. Lovecraft. Don't Starve alone is filled with Lovecraftian influences. Sanity, ancient extradimensional beings, ancient books of forbidden knowledge. Kevin himself has even said that Lovecraft is a major inspiration to the game. You can't possibly say that Lovecraft was just some old coot. You don't have to like him as a person, but you should definitely respect him as an author.

Well considering the genre is named after him, I kind of doubt that. Your dismissal of Lovecraft as an "old racist coot" kind of undermines the significance of his work. His stories completely influenced the horror genre as we know it today. Themes of forbidden knowledge, the fragility of human sanity, and mankind's utter helplessness are all result's of H.P. Lovecraft. Don't Starve alone is filled with Lovecraftian influences. Sanity, ancient extradimensional beings, ancient books of forbidden knowledge. Kevin himself has even said that Lovecraft is a major inspiration to the game. You can't possibly say that Lovecraft was just some old coot. You don't have to like him as a person, but you should definitely respect him as an author.

Here goes a long one.

I'm a lovecraft fanboy as the next guy, Hell I love many of his works and consider "At the mountains of madness" one of the best horror stories ever written. If I didn't like the guy I wouldn't bother knowing more than half the stuff I know about him and his work. but there's no denying he was pretty racist and bordered on xenophobia. If you've read through his stories it's obvious that people of colored were less smart and where prone to worshiping these deities and the dark arts whilst white people where much better litter many of his stories. (though he did get better at it and was even ashamed of shadow over insmouth later on) He also admitted to having a huge fear of anything weird, like octopuses, insects, spiders, snails and what not. Hense why so many of his aliens tended to look like this because. Lovecraft was sorta a product of his time too, he grew up when black people didn't have a whole lot of rights, when racism was very much more alive than it is today. I call him a coot to mock his racism, It's just silly when people praise him while the guy was a xenophobic recluse most of his life. That's to say his work isn't bad or stupid, just acknowledging it has it's flaws. Alss Lovecraft did bring the idea of "cosmic eldricth horrors" to the main stream, just he didn't invent the whole idea.

Here goes a long one.

I'm a lovecraft fanboy as the next guy, Hell I love many of his works and consider "At the mountains of madness" one of the best horror stories ever written. If I didn't like the guy I wouldn't bother knowing more than half the stuff I know about him and his work. but there's no denying he was pretty racist and bordered on xenophobia. If you've read through his stories it's obvious that people of colored were less smart and where prone to worshiping these deities and the dark arts whilst white people where much better litter many of his stories. (though he did get better at it and was even ashamed of shadow over insmouth later on) He also admitted to having a huge fear of anything weird, like octopuses, insects, spiders, snails and what not. Hense why so many of his aliens tended to look like this because. Lovecraft was sorta a product of his time too, he grew up when black people didn't have a whole lot of rights, when racism was very much more alive than it is today. I call him a coot to mock his racism, It's just silly when people praise him while the guy was a xenophobic recluse most of his life. That's to say his work isn't bad or stupid, just acknowledging it has it's flaws. Alss Lovecraft did bring the idea of "cosmic eldricth horrors" to the main stream, just he didn't invent the whole idea.

Fair enough, but let's not forget that the founding fathers of America owned slaves and that Martin Luther King Jr. cheated on his wife. That doesn't necessarily detract from what they did. They were all flawed people, but they were still really good at what they did. Sometimes you have to look past a person's flaws and judge them by their merits instead.

Fair enough, but let's not forget that the founding fathers of America owned slaves and that Martin Luther King Jr. cheated on his wife. That doesn't necessarily detract from what they did. They were all flawed people, but they were still really good at what they did. Sometimes you have to look past a person's flaws and judge them by their merits instead.

I'd probably continue my thought son it more, but I've already derailed this thread too much.

Archived