Steam Workshop Mod Loader, v.1

Early while toying around with the way mods are installed, I noticed that if the mod and Modloader were installed on a copy of the game that isn't hooked up to Steam (offline or DRM-free) the Modloader still worked for anything tucked into the mods folder (just couldn't access the Steam Workshop).

Perhaps it will be possible to utilize the Modloader for DRM-free copies of Invisible Inc as well if this behavior is intended / continues to function in future versions (as a way to package mods for easier use by users).

Yeah, this is just an extension to the modloader, and so it supports non-steam mods. It actually makes testing a mod really easy. You still can use the refresh button to "reload" the mod from the filesystem, but it doesn't actually need to exist on steam.

Hey - I really love this idea and I really would like to get this mod loader into my game, but I am unsure of how I would get or make a back up of the files the loader requires. Would it be possible if you made a written / video tutorial? Thanks -J

With the most recent update the Modloader seems to be having a few issues, the update may have changed something that the loader needs to properly handle mods (the mod itself works fine, but I am unable to navigate the available agents bar and have several missing strings).

A lot has changed with the files I modified, this is not going to be as easy to update as I expected. Klei actually added a whole new DLC path for the mod loader. I need to look through it and see how it works and if its solving some of the same problems in a better way...

Well it looks like this is busted. There seems to be a crash in the call to KLEISteamWorkshop:updateWorkshopMods().

Reverted everything, and the crash is gone... It seems to be something caused by what I've done, but haven't figured it out yet. Time to slowly add stuff back and see when it breaks.

I did find a pretty funny bug in mod-manager which is causing it to try to mount every folder as a mod. :grin:

Oh great, now somehow the game deleted itself (along with all my work from today).... This is interesting.

As an offtop, did you guys checked script/client/mod-api.lua? Looks like some interesting stuff to investigate.

Actually, mod-api dosn't do that much. All the interesting stuff is in mod-manager. It's not that much different from how sclark's modloader works. Mod-api is more of a template that mods can use if they want.

I'm resurrecting this thread for a quick question: some mods weren't working through Steam Workshop (namely, I noticed a skill-setting augment even though I have a mod that replaces all four of them with alternate versions), so I picked up ModLoader.

Thing is, the only thing ML picks up ingame is its sample file, even after I reloaded everything through the regular "check for language packs" button several times. Am I doing something wrong? Is ML simply not compatible with Contingency Plan? If not, where should I look for an easy-to-use mod manager? I've seen Sequential Mod Loader, but I have no idea what mods I should load first, so it's not that useful to me.

I don't think you should be using this modloader anymore. There are too many differences between v11 and v12. It would be better if you asked the creator of the mod to update it. If it seems like the creator isn't working on it anymore then I can maybe help porting it if you tell me what mod it is.

I'm resurrecting this thread for a quick question: some mods weren't working through Steam Workshop (namely, I noticed a skill-setting augment even though I have a mod that replaces all four of them with alternate versions)

It's because of mods random order, you need to have that mod loaded always after DLC to overwrite its content, sequential mod load should help:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/61106-sequential-modloader/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581127514&searchtext=

And I guess you need to ask author of mod to add sequential modloader lines and requirement into his mod.

I finally solved my problem. SW was insisting on re-downloading both the ModLoader and the mods I wanted in the wrong places (even though I unsuscribed all of them and just got the .zips from the forum), which either made the game crash on startup, or kept giving priority to the ML. I fixed it by reinstalling the game and cleaning up the entire game directory.

I can't tell if everything works fine since the mods I use add so many things (I picked up the 3 characters + new items/augs + new programs), but besides some occasional wireframe and guard pathing issues, it looks good for now. Thanks for your quick answers ! :)

Archived