Ok, so...F. this game. Seriously, F. this game in it´s entirety. DST is just not fun. PVP multiplayer simply doesn´t work. You work hours making a base and it takes only one guy to wreck it all up. What´s the point? It´s just a grieffer´s paradise. And then when you start to fight them and they are about to die, they just log off. Fun, really just fun all around, couldn´t be funner, yippy ******* yay.

I also want to ask for some advice. There was this guy I was fighting who kicked my ass just now (partly I´m so angry). Syphillis I think he was called (awful name btw) and every time I attacked him, he managed to hit me first. And no matter what angle, he always managed to hit me first. What is the strategy there? What makes it that everytime he hits first. WTF.

Anyway, those are some thoughts on PVP DST. 

Edit: I just want to say, I do love the singleplayer of this game. So, please note that when I´m criticizing the painful multiplayer I feel bad about it. 

Update: Apparently, there is a command on the console that makes you fight better...If that´s true, then this game is bullshit and I´m sooooo done.

The purpose of that command isn't to make your fight better, that's just a lovely side effect.

Also, they have specifically mentioned they're trying to improve that aspect of the game. So just wait. Be done until they change things, but just know they acknowledge it and are working to make it better.

The purpose of that command isn't to make your fight better, that's just a lovely side effect.

Also, they have specifically mentioned they're trying to improve that aspect of the game. So just wait. Be done until they change things, but just know they acknowledge it and are working to make it better.

So what specifically is the command and how is it even a fair fight?

I had an ice staff, blow darts, armour...And this *******, who from what I understand is using this OP command, just destroyed me.

Either this guy is the best player I have ever encountered or he is just cheating his way through games. How is this even fair? Or fun for that matter...

We can already do this.

d9049e4c-4d17-4bb5-a278-0cd195eebb1c.gif

@Squirrels  - You'll get em next time big guy.

I had an ice staff, blow darts, armour...And this *******, who from what I understand is using this OP command, just destroyed me.

Either this guy is the best player I have ever encountered or he is just cheating his way through games. How is this even fair? Or fun for that matter...

Don't think that command is giving him any unfair advantage. He just lives and breathes pvp. Our tears keep his belly full. Give him a little credit...at least he doesn't pick Wigfrid.

Once you learn how he fights and when he swings it's really not that bad. You'll do a lot better on your next encounter. Maybe grab some pigs and give them helmets. Be the king you were meant to be!

Don't think that command is giving him any unfair advantage. He just lives and breathes pvp. Our tears keep his belly full. Give him a little credit...at least he doesn't pick Wigfrid.

Once you learn how he fights and when he swings it's really not that bad. You'll do a lot better on your next encounter. Maybe grab some pigs and give them helmets. Be the king you were meant to be!

He was Wigfrid and I still call bullshit. He killed three other people before me. 

Ok, so...F. this game. Seriously, F. this game in it´s entirety. DST is just not fun. PVP multiplayer simply doesn´t work. You work hours making a base and it takes only one guy to wreck it all up. What´s the point? It´s just a grieffer´s paradise. And then when you start to fight them and they are about to die, they just log off. Fun, really just fun all around, couldn´t be funner, yippy ******* yay.

I also want to ask for some advice. There was this guy I was fighting who kicked my ass just now (partly I´m so angry). Syphillis I think he was called (awful name btw) and every time I attacked him, he managed to hit me first. And no matter what angle, he always managed to hit me first. What is the strategy there? What makes it that everytime he hits first. WTF.

Anyway, those are some thoughts on PVP DST. 

Edit: I just want to say, I do love the singleplayer of this game. So, please note that when I´m criticizing the painful multiplayer I feel bad about it. 

Update: Apparently, there is a command on the console that makes you fight better...If that´s true, then this game is bullshit and I´m sooooo done.

It's a beta. The console command is actually going to be an option in the future, so don't worry too much man. Take some time to cool down, when you come back DST will be all polished and pretty.

I really agree that PVP needs to be reworked in DST.  It's all about who has the better ping and console command strings. 

I'd spam the like button, but it doesn't count as more likes...

For sure PvP is not where I think anybody wants it....

However, PvP is just one part of the whole thing, and first and foremost we are working to get everything going, then make improvements.

I have talked a bit about griefing in the past, but there is definitely work to be done with legit PvP as well. There are things all over the place that we will be addressing. And we are going to approach them in incremental changes through time. First we are going to make a few changes with ghosts that we feel will help out some of the problems there, and we are talking through some of the PvP elements we plan on changing soon as well. Much of it based around base building/protecting and combat (at first then we will see where we want to go from there).

I can't really get down to specifics because we have to see how it plays out on our end, change things up and then we can let you know the direction we are going to go.

Suffice it to say that all of your feedback is completely valuable to us, but I would appreciate it if everybody could remain constructive and polite while discussing the topics, even when they can be frustrating or even down right broken.

We do not like to hide behind the "this is beta" excuse, but it really should be taken into consideration that we are well aware that it's not where it should be, and the focus should be providing the feedback that we all need to discuss how to get there. =)

Then stay away from pubs. Public Servers are mainly chock full of one of the various types of people:

1.) New Players

2.) Experienced Players (varies)

3.) Jerk Experienced Players (varies)

4.) Jerk New Players

5.) Admins (if you know anything about the types of hackers in real life, that would apply to admins).

6.) I like the number 6

@JoeW, I like how you acknowledge all of these issues with DST and are working to fix them. Dev teams like the one you are on (and basically all of Klei) are very uncommon in today's world. Just asking, will one of the "changes" include with re-tweaking Willow?

@JoeW, I like how you acknowledge all of these issues with DST and are working to fix them. Dev teams like the one you are on (and basically all of Klei) are very uncommon in today's world. Just asking, will one of the "changes" include with re-tweaking Willow?

No way to really know.

Really, we need to get things better defined to really know who or what really needs to be tweaked and why that would need to happen.

One big question revolves around character balance. In Don't Starve, "Balance" was defined quite differently, because the original design around character balance was more similar to the character itself being a sort of game mode. Different characters represented different play styles and offered their own unique experiences.

Where as in DST PvP there is an expectation of balance between the characters in order for things to feel fair, otherwise it only makes sense to play the most viable characters. And, while this is just my personal opinion, I don't think anybody who loves DST would want that, I think we would all like to see all of the characters be a viable choice depending on your playstyle.

That being said as we make changes we need to see how it effects the entirety of the experience. And I think from there we will continue to see DST grow around all the ways that people like to play.

MHO about posts like these is that usually the person who b|tches the most sometimes has the greatest impact on the devs which isn't always best.The reality is that OP died, went to the forums to cry and was heard. In this case OP didn't have anything constructive to write about and went on a mini rant.

I have observed a lot of people raving for nerfs. It would be interesting to see more buffs :-)

In general, there will always be somebody better than you. That's not just this game, that's a law of the world. Even the best of the best get out-bested eventually. Honestly, it might benefit a bit to not worry too much about losing everything in a game like this. I agree that it totally sucks to lose everything you worked for, but this is a game where the only true goal is not to die. So death comes eventually - no amount of fancy weapons or big bases will change that. You were either going to lose everything or lose interest in the server eventually.

I agree that it sucks that the PvP system is a bit unbalanced, and it is a bit difficult to turn the tables once a fight has begun. But honestly, with the way the entire combat system is set up right now, I feel like DST just works better as a coop/non-pvp experience, especially for people who don't handle losing very well...

PvP might be more effective if some form of self-defense/blocking was implemented. Walls only help before the enemy gets in, and once the enemy is in (player or mob), the walls become more of a trap than a defense.

All this being said, I've never played on a public PvP server, so I haven't actually lost everything to a stranger. I only play with my friends, and PVP is what we use to discipline each other for making stupid jokes (lovingly, of course). I would probably be pissed if I was actually killed on a public game, but it really should only be the kind of thing where you go, "god DANG it!" and then you try again or take a healthy break. Freaking out wildly about it really has little benefit. Because DST is a ever-growing experience, feedback is better when delivered in a calm manner.

edit: I will point out that I do have experience with situations like this, however. I'm not completely unaware of the feeling. In Minecraft (and various unique gamemodes hosted on certain servers), I've lost everything to random players many, MANY times. The first time I was incredibly angry, but eventually I realized that by playing on the servers I played, it's just part of the experience. I can't get mad about something I know was going to happen.

In general, there will always be somebody better than you. That's not just this game, that's a law of the world. Even the best of the best get out-bested eventually. Honestly, it might benefit a bit to not worry too much about losing everything in a game like this. I agree that it totally sucks to lose everything you worked for, but this is a game where the only true goal is not to die. So death comes eventually - no amount of fancy weapons or big bases will change that. You were either going to lose everything or lose interest in the server eventually.

I agree that it sucks that the PvP system is a bit unbalanced, and it is a bit difficult to turn the tables once a fight has begun. But honestly, with the way the entire combat system is set up right now, I feel like DST just works better as a coop/non-pvp experience, especially for people who don't handle losing very well...

PvP might be more effective if some form of self-defense/blocking was implemented. Walls only help before the enemy gets in, and once the enemy is in (player or mob), the walls become more of a trap than a defense.

All this being said, I've never played on a public PvP server, so I haven't actually lost everything to a stranger. I only play with my friends, and PVP is what we use to discipline each other for making stupid jokes (lovingly, of course). I would probably be pissed if I was actually killed on a public game, but it really should only be the kind of thing where you go, "god DANG it!" and then you try again or take a healthy break. Freaking out wildly about it really has little benefit. Because DST is a ever-growing experience, feedback is better when delivered in a calm manner.

edit: I will point out that I do have experience with situations like this, however. I'm not completely unaware of the feeling. In Minecraft (and various unique gamemodes hosted on certain servers), I've lost everything to random players many, MANY times. The first time I was incredibly angry, but eventually I realized that by playing on the servers I played, it's just part of the experience. I can't get mad about something I know was going to happen.

By better, you mean he had this cheat console command thing...I´ve lost to people before, and that´s fine, but this guy has attacked me plenty of times and not ONCE can I get a hit on him before he does. Statically, that´s impossible considering the amount of times I´ve encountered this guy, even if he is the best of the best as you say. Also, the guys he fought before killing me also could not get a single ******* hit on the guy...So I´m sorry, but you can call me a sour loser all you want, but something is clearly wrong here.  

MHO about posts like these is that usually the person who b|tches the most sometimes has the greatest impact on the devs which isn't always best.The reality is that OP died, went to the forums to cry and was heard. In this case OP didn't have anything constructive to write about and went on a mini rant.

I have observed a lot of people raving for nerfs. It would be interesting to see more buffs :-)

Well maybe don´t fight with this command and play the game how it was supposed to, and then you can feel free to voice your opinion.

Archived