DST Map settings - Harder mode?

Hello DST players.

I've taken a one month break from DST, duo hoping the caves will come up soon... Waiting..

Anyway, I want to play DST again, since I rush the adven. mode at DS.

Is there any of you who can recommend some harder map settings?

I always play with short seasons.

And example could be :
No berries, carrot, less food, more monsters etc etc.

Ive been google some few threds, none of them was what I am looking for.

So if u have any idea how to make the game harder by a stage or two, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for my bad english. Correct me if you can/want x) 

my favourite thing to do as self-punishment added challenge is to put all the seasons on random, Krampus on lots and all resources and food producing things on less(except beefalo and pigs and other set-piece like things due to weird world generation). I don't know how that would work with the respawning plants, though.

well first thing you can do is return season length to normal.  You want a harder game yet you play an easier version.  Can't really brag you want a harder version to play if make the game easier naturally. 

Also an easy one off the top of my head is Lights out, and if you don't know what that is its when its night all day long, no day, no dusk.  But again I'd return season length to normal first since apparently that was giving you trouble.

Try lights out? Or default plus mode? I once selected default plus, but made it even more challenging, so I had. I called my map "Monsters Abound" since I put a lot of things considered monsters (not the bosses though) to more:

Carrots - Less

Berry Bushes: Less

Spiders: More

Hounds: More

Krampus: More

Tentacle: More

Try that. I played it once with someone and it was quite difficult, mainly because of the constant spider fighting, so we didn't have much time to prepare for winter and had like only breezy vests and earmuffs for both of us.

Here is an idea I suggested awhile back (similar ideas have been mentioned before but this is how I played it)

*note: this was played in ROG and not DST (may be even harder here)

No Impact- Normal Setting

The idea is to leave little to no trace you were even in the world

Self imposed rules were:

-Unable to move resources/plants, destroy rocks, pick flowers, carrots, fireflies

-Only structures that can be built are Science/Alchemy/Magic machines (can only leave them up for 1 day)

-Can kill animals but not destroy the whole community (ex. destroy level 3 spider dens but must replant the egg in the exact same spot)

-Allowed to use any found structures (farms, crockpots, tents, etc)

-Can chop down any tree that gives a pine cone but must replant the pine cone in the exact same spot

*I was pretty lucky with my world generation, finding an icebox in the desert biome.

Try a character you are unfamiliar with or that doesn't fit your gameplay style.

For example, I like to venture around the map a lot and survive off of the food I find along the way.  Wigfrid is horrible at that because she requires meat as well as having to cook it all the time. 

Hmm something I've done before is eternal seasons like eternal winter or eternal summer. Or maybe make winter or summer which ever is harder for you personally and make it the longest season and all the other seasons short.

Or maybe after a set x amount of days all you can eat is a cetain type of food and nothing else.

Or have like 4-6 friends play with you on low food settings.

Eternal Summer, eternal darkness... wait, that means I don't need ice flingomatics to stop stuff from smouldering as stuff doesn't smoulder during the night...

May be eternal Winter and eternal darkness?

Well.. I like playing the usual DST version with day, dusk, night, and all seasons, but harder.. yet can still build a "cool base".

So I changed the World Setting to..

(as far as I remember)

World Size: Small

Autumn: Short

Winter: Short

Spring: Short

Summer: Short

Trees: None

Flints: None

Berries: None

Carrots: Less

Ice: Less

Flowers: Less

Grass: Less

Twigs: Less

Rabbit: Less

Pengull: Less

Moleworm: Less

Bee: Less

Clockworks: More

Treeguard: More

Poison Birchnut Tree: None

--The rest of them.. default.--

Simply put,

*All the easy to get food are "less"

(Berry Bush either put it "none or less" if you want to make something out of the bush like that headgear thing)

*All animals that doesn't hit back are "less"

(Pengulls.. well.. easy food because of ice)

(If you make all animals "none", you are also not allowing yourself to build other equipment & buildings.. such as the magic hat thing that requires alive rabbits)

*Other note: If you make all monsters "more", you'll find yourself in the game just.. picking stuffs.. forever.

If you make wolves "more", easy tooth traps. ../meh

Hmm.. I forgot one thing. I made trees "none", that's because birchnut is an easy food, so...

add a mod, "Starting Item"

Have a starting:

*pine cones

*and flints (because I set it to "none" also)

*twigs (optional. So you can have a starting axe and pickaxe)

--

If it is too hard for you, either set the Clockworks to "default", or set the Trees to "Less"

The more the players, the harder the game. 

Cheers*

EDIT: Try not to play Webber for easy gaming. o.O

@Tugtime yeah season length short, still a breeze.  do those settings with normal season length then come back and brag but so long as your seasons are short its nothing special.

I don't understand how you arrived at the conclusion that shorter seasons are easier. Longer seasons simply give you more time to prepare. If the seasons are very short and randomized, in the beginning you essentially have 5 days to simultaneously prepare for winter, summer, and spring. Now take that same task and add 15 days of leeway, and you'll have to be either a moron or a newbie to fail with that kind of cushion. If you can survive 5 days of a season, it's trivial to survive an indefinite extension of that length. The challenge of Don't Starve is being prepared on time, not surviving for long amounts of time once you're already prepared.

I don't understand how you arrived at the conclusion that shorter seasons are easier. Longer seasons simply give you more time to prepare. If the seasons are very short and randomized, in the beginning you essentially have 5 days to simultaneously prepare for winter, summer, and spring. Now take that same task and add 15 days of leeway, and you'll have to be either a moron or a newbie to fail with that kind of cushion. If you can survive 5 days of a season, it's trivial to survive an indefinite extension of that length. The challenge of Don't Starve is being prepared on time, not surviving for long amounts of time once you're already prepared.

Clwn seems to have this fixation on the forums of trying to eternally prove he's the best, most experienced, most hardcore Don't Starve player in the world.

And I'd like to believe him, still doesn't change the fact it's just a game designed to have fun, all this flexing makes me yawn :S

Clwn seems to have this fixation on the forums of trying to eternally prove he's the best, most experienced, most hardcore Don't Starve player in the world.

No its just he goes on and on about wanting a challenge but takes the "challenge" out of it.  Limiting your resources but then making a small map means no biggie it takes less time to find and collect said limited resources and to top it off with shorter seasons weathering any part of the game you're not prepared for is a cake walk.  I don't make the claim you suggest but I do claim to know Don't Starve well enough to recognize a whats a challenge and what's not.

@Arcita, shorter seasons are easier because in essence you dont "have" to be prepared for any season.  A shorter season just means you have to weather it for less time.  Preparing for seasons isn't hard.  you can be prepared for all of them by day 2, but if you're not prepared and the season lasts its full length you're in trouble.  If its shorter and you're not prepared, no biggie it will be over shortly.

To best describe my position is to compare it my opinion of modded characters and a lot of the mods out there.  All of the mods look and sound great but when you stop and really look them over most are all imbalanced and way overpowered.  A good game and game mechanic is about balance,  You can't say "Im going to do something with one arm tied behind my back" and then go on to state "but I start with 4 arms."  Where is the balance and in turn where is the challenge. 

But in the end I will say this, his "challenging" set up, aside from small map, is the closest you can get to an Adventure mode experience atm.

Whatever you say, seasons don't really do the "big challenge". Let's just say you have longer season, that also simply means you also have longer time to prepare for that longer season.

So okay, short season = you have less time to prepare for next whatever season. I didn't really set that as a challenge. I set that because when I play, I want seasons to change faster; Adds fun factor. 

By the way, I said "short", it's not the shortest.

Why the size of the world "small"?

Who cares? Only the clown.

For you clown, you can do any size. Make it as big as your clown face :D

The bigger the world, the more the resources. End of story.

And the fact is, it is also not part of the so called "challenge".

and I am just suggesting. You're the one who's bragging, clown.

No its just he goes on and on about wanting a challenge but takes the "challenge" out of it.  Limiting your resources but then making a small map means no biggie it takes less time to find and collect said limited resources and to top it off with shorter seasons weathering any part of the game you're not prepared for is a cake walk.  I don't make the claim you suggest but I do claim to know Don't Starve well enough to recognize a whats a challenge and what's not.

@Arcita, shorter seasons are easier because in essence you dont "have" to be prepared for any season.  A shorter season just means you have to weather it for less time.  Preparing for seasons isn't hard.  you can be prepared for all of them by day 2, but if you're not prepared and the season lasts its full length you're in trouble.  If its shorter and you're not prepared, no biggie it will be over shortly.

To best describe my position is to compare it my opinion of modded characters and a lot of the mods out there.  All of the mods look and sound great but when you stop and really look them over most are all imbalanced and way overpowered.  A good game and game mechanic is about balance,  You can't say "Im going to do something with one arm tied behind my back" and then go on to state "but I start with 4 arms."  Where is the balance and in turn where is the challenge. 

But in the end I will say this, his "challenging" set up, aside from small map, is the closest you can get to an Adventure mode experience atm.

The whole of Don't Starve can be distilled down to a single variable on which all challenge hinges: time. Given a limited amount of time, you must utilize each moment effectively to ward off the looming difficulties. If this time limit is taken away entirely, then any challenge at all becomes infinitely easy because you have an infinite amount of time to prepare.

Thus, we have an inverse relationship between time and difficulty:

as time gets larger, difficulty gets smaller. As time gets smaller, difficulty gets larger.

I don't make the claim you suggest but I do claim to know Don't Starve well enough to recognize a whats a challenge and what's not.

Fair enough, you say that but your posts seem to indicate otherwise, still I'll admit you never directly made that claim.  Back on topic.

Now from a personal point of view:

Winter - if I have a thermal stone and some basic food that give me enough fuel to seek out more stuff with at least 2 flint I can survive winter indefinitely, no camp etc, even spawned in it - tested and tried (on default settings - nothing overly crazy).

For summer, I'd say same as winter but I'd require more twigs and grass and probably 4 nitre.  From that point forward I can take summer to its longest phase possible without issue.  Without a camp.  It is assumed that if you seek a challenge, you can at least do this much.

Autumn and spring are not worth mentioning frankly.  Now, that's the assumption I'm making - how do we keep this as a survival game, while cranking up the difficulty as far as we can (or at least a stage or two as per OPs request)?

Quite honestly I'm not sure.  One suggestion would be Lights Out - in addition to anything else you have to manage your light source at all times as well as watch your Sanity - quite a fun mode, but it may just get repetitive and a bit bland to continuously play all your games in darkness, imo.

Another option is to cut down on berries/carrots and other naturally occuring resources which are mostly irrelevant during the rough seasons, thus not changing the difficulty too much.

What I can say is that most suggestions here, besides lights out, don't strike me as being particularly challenging.  Annoying or awkward at best, I'd say - but not a true challenge.  Something tells me we'd need some new gameplay elements that make us stretch ourselves to the limit or the like.

If you mean world settings however, yeah - lights out is about as far as you can take it.  Adding and removing stuff things may make it a tad more of a stretch, requiring you to be extra efficient on resources, but that's mostly it.

Lights out , more chess pieces. Better have good hearing !

Lights out , more killer bee hives is slightly more fair as you have a chance to avoid them before they murder you.

Setting chess pieces to lots can drastically hamper your movement , altho it's exploitable with WX.

Extra merm houses + killer bee hives can also produce interesting situations.

Be sure to add long winter if you feel those settings aren't harsh enough. On its own , winter isn't much of a threat - but it's a multiplier for other hardships.

Archived