Mod:Tidy()

I said I'd have this later in the week, but I found a little bit of time today.

Okay, so here are some planned additions and features to the mod, as well as some issues. We need to decide what we do want, what we don't want, and what we absolutely need. This list is in no particular order. People who want to work on a specific item in the list will have their name added next to it.

General

• DST issues in general.
  • Expansion of some components for more flexibility.
  • Unique boss drops. Not too hard, really.
  • Additional Mercurius quests. Not too difficult, more of a creative challenge.
  • Additional potions. Not necessarily hard. More of a creative challenge.
  • Balance. Currently the mod is labeled as "extremely difficult." There are many ways to deal with challenges presented by the cloud realm, but they are not obvious.
  • World generation balance. It's tricky to pull off correctly because there is so much involved. 

Art and Animations

• Gnome art and animations. You could even use the base assets to make the animations.
  • Crystal armor art. Really, it's quite easy.
  • Superconductor boss. Art and animations. Pretty complicated. The boss would be a spherical metal enemy, with electricity-based attacks and various attacks involving range, such as physical attacks with attachments.

Code

• Revamped gnomes via the reputation component and AI improvements. Basically, certain actions in the world would increase and decrease reputation with the gnome faction, which would lead to reactions, varying degrees of hostility and friendliness, etc. A difficult endeavor.
  • Crystal armor. A hard counter to whirlwinds. Relatively simple.
  • Superconductor (name pending) boss fight. It would be a mob that comes out during static, otherwise it'd be a ball in the ground. Various stages to the fight.
  • Bean Giant revamp. The art is nearly finished by one of our artists, if we get that it's a matter of implementing certain aspects of the boss fight. This wouldn't be hard because of the reputation component. Challenging, but not an unreasonable implementation.
  • Custom ambient sound for the cloudrealm. Challenging.
  • Additional levels. This is pretty much shelved, because it's a huge undertaking.

If we stumble across more, I'll update this list. Basically, this list is actively updated.

Someone did some ambient sound a while back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k643fyib5ps4oo/u%26a%20ambience.aup?dl=0

And I can dust off the old Beanclops anims, they were almost done from what I remember...

The sounds are already in the mod files, they just need to be implemented. That's where the problems start. :p What little I do know about the sound manager, even if I were to successfully add them, more would have to be done, so that's it's not just the one repetitive track, for instance.

@debugman18, all that happens in FMOD. Basically in FMOD you create an event which houses several tracks and each time that event is called by DS or DST it picks a random track. 

This tutorial http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/27803-tutorial-adding-custom-sound-to-your-custom-character/ should show you everything you need to know to get it working. Trust me it's insanely easy to get sound in game using this specific tutorial.

Total estimated time would be about 30 minutes to get 100 events working in game. Most of that time is actually making the prefabs use the sounds.

@debugman18, all that happens in FMOD. Basically in FMOD you create an event which houses several tracks and each time that event is called by DS or DST it picks a random track.

This tutorial http://forums.kleientertainment.com/index.php?/topic/27803-tutorial-adding-custom-sound-to-your-custom-character/ should show you everything you need to know to get it working. Trust me it's insanely easy to get sound in game using this specific tutorial.

Total estimated time would be about 30 minutes to get 100 events working in game. Most of that time is actually making the prefabs use the sounds.

That's already done. For example, the sheep have bleats now, at a reasonable volume. I'm referring to the actual ambience sounds, which basically amount to bgm. Now if you know how to do that, it'd be very helpful.

I can give it a go with the art bit; may i suggest you make a list of what is needed a little more organized such as "Art", "Animations" and "Coding" ? That way ti would be easier for us to know whats left to do in the section we can help with but also easier for you as you would just have to add new lines to each sections when you come up with new stuff to do ! 

I can give it a go with the art bit; may i suggest you make a list of what is needed a little more organized such as "Art", "Animations" and "Coding" ? That way ti would be easier for us to know whats left to do in the section we can help with but also easier for you as you would just have to add new lines to each sections when you come up with new stuff to do ! 

If you can draw animated electricity, we need you desperately.

@debugman18, scripts/components/ambientsound.lua is where you will find every single ambient sound, at least for Don't Starve Together. I imagine there is a similar file for Don't Starve as well. 

I do wonder how to change that on the fly based on biomes, static state, etc. I don't want to overwrite sound events always, just under specific circumstances. I'll try and look at the game files to find out.

@debugman18, here is the code...

exampledata = {sound = "dontstarve/rocky/rockyAMB", wintersound = "dontstarve/winter/winterrockyAMB", springsound = "dontstarve/rocky/rockyAMB", summersound = "dontstarve_DLC001/summer/summerrockyAMB", rainsound = "dontstarve/rain/rainrockyAMB"},--springsound = "dontstarve_DLC001/spring/springrockyAMB", summersound = "dontstarve_DLC001/summer/summerrockyAMB", rainsound = "dontstarve/rain/rainrockyAMB"},local function OnOverrideAmbientSound(src, data)    _tileoverrides[data.tile] = data.overrideendinst:ListenForEvent("overrideambientsound", OnOverrideAmbientSound) 

This is how you override or add new sounds for tiles.

Be more specific, such as ...? Examples would be useful, not necessarily related to DS material.

So a couple of uses:

A boss we had planned would heavily use electricity in its attacks and forms.

We also have a static damage type similar to fire that requires an overlay, etc.

Be more specific, such as ...? Examples would be useful, not necessarily related to DS material.

post-223117-0-82043800-1437001199_thumb.

The electrical pieces need to be retextured, and given variants to make them look like actual electricity.

Oh i see, well I'm not animator whatsoever but i can definitely give it a go with drawing the electricity ! It shouldn't be that difficult, were you looking for something more like Ligthning and thunders or more like the electricity style of the old texture ?! Because the whole thing would simply be about drawing new but more variants of the new texture just to make it more realistic... that would be the big issue, probably.

I'll give it a go and see it i can do something decent for this electricity, alright ? Keep you updated 

Ok sweet, well now i just need to know how you want the animation to look like in order to make the textures for it. I mean should i do the electricity bit "copy and paste" of the old textures but with the new style or you want to make something completely different ? 

What i think would be the best, if you guys want me to take care of the electricity bit, is to send me the textures and the animation of that sphere you sent me, so i can use those textures as template and make it simpler for animators.

Yeah, the black background is just to increase contrast so you can easily see the lighting. SO, what if i upload here the file with the transparent background AND just make some more variations of the small electricity bolts that you can see on the top right bit ?! That should solve the crackles bit.

In order to make the electricity flowing, i need to know whether you'd like the electricity to flow from the bottom to the top of the sphere, whether you want it from inside to outside like if it was glowing, or if you simply want different variations of the two big textures in the bottom left corner, I've uploaded in the previous post ?!

Yeah, the black background is just to increase contrast so you can easily see the lighting. SO, what if i upload here the file with the transparent background AND just make some more variations of the small electricity bolts that you can see on the top right bit ?! That should solve the crackles bit.

All the electrical pieces should have 2 or 3 versions, with slight but noticable changes.

Archived