Through the Ages

This sounds like a great idea until a Wickerbottom adorned in the heads of her foes and armed with tons of Sleepytime Stories comes from some PVP server and starts to murder everyone.

Good point but needless to say there will be some kind of a connection needed to be approve for a cross-server. So if you are a good admin you won't connect your PVE server with a another person PVP server (just an example).

• Developer

Hey guys

I guess I can answer some of your questions regarding caves and inter-server connectivity, so here we go:

Do you think this cave update will be compatible with current worlds ?

I'm almost sure we can do it. But at worse, you may just have to spawn the cave_entrance manually with command line :-)

I'd love to know if LAN servers will be capable of this cross-server connectivity with other LAN servers.

Actually, we're focused on making it working for Online Dedicated servers first. But later, I'd love to make it works for Lan servers too :-)

I'd like to have common chat between servers.

I think we can make this works. I still have to investigate how hard it could be !

As @JoeW said, nothing is official yet. We're still trying to figure out what would be possible or not. 

Actually, we're focused on making it working for Online Dedicated servers first. But later, I'd love to make it works for Lan servers too :-)

That is cool, just hope that if this does come to fruition that LAN servers aren't left to the way side, otherwise I will simply have to make 2 player online servers with whitelists. That isn't an issue, other than it will flood the online browser with servers people cannot play in.

Okay, the way that caves and ruins are being implemented is pretty cool. I can see in the future, someone making a mod that allows players to go between completely different servers (as long as they are specifically connected to each other at both ends), via boat, or mega-wormhole, or allowing caves to have multiple entrance/exits, each in a different world.... Basically like a giant spiderweb.

And then you would end up with 100 servers all connecting to the same network, lol.

• Developer

Hey @Snowhusky5

We definitely think about this ! Later, we'd like a kind of Peer-to-peer network of servers, I don't think you'll need to make any mod to make it works. We are more focused on the caves right now, but later, if the feature works well, I think we will work on a P2P connectivity for servers :)

We'll keep you inform about when we will release the caves :)

Hey @Snowhusky5

We definitely think about this ! Later, we'd like a kind of Peer-to-peer network of servers, I don't think you'll need to make any mod to make it works. We are more focused on the caves right now, but later, if the feature works well, I think we will work on a P2P connectivity for servers :-)

We'll keep you inform about when we will release the caves :-)

Will there be any option to filter out side-servers connected to a main world?

Because as @Kzisor specified, the server list will eventually get tripled when technically you can only enter one third (the overworld). The other two thirds would be the caves and the ruins, that ramify from surface. And you can't enter those directly.

• Developer

The caves servers do not appear in the server listing, as you can only connect to it if you come from the overworld server. We will explain all the details of the implementation when it will be release.
Don't worry about this :)

@Diabu,

and how many interconnected servers are you looking at?

One overworld server and one cave server where depending on the overworld location you get to a cave location, or one server per cave entrance? Maybe one sinkhole per world?

With three sinkholes you get three caves and three ruins, getting up to 1 + 3 + 3 = 7 servers. Doesn't seem a good worst case scenario. But since you guys said the game has way better performance, maybe we will have one server with three smaller-than-overworld islands, one per cave?

• Developer

Hi @DarkXero

We'll give all the details when we'll be sure of what can be done. I think we'll try to allow as many interconnected servers as we can. 

Concerning performance, the thing is that currently, DST servers uses mainly one core. So you can run multiple servers on the same hardware. So we can imagine that the cave server will be on the same server than the overworld.

I don't exactly know how caves will be redesigned for DST, but I think that you'll have only one cave (a bigger one) per overworld. I imagine that the different cave_entrance will send you to different location in the cave.

I don't exactly know how caves will be redesigned for DST, but I think that you'll have only one cave (a bigger one) per overworld. I imagine that the different cave_entrance will send you to different location in the cave.

So will the ruins be part of that larger cave?

@Diabu, sounds great. New possibilities. :-)

If you are going to have one overworld and one cave linked like that, you could make it so that stuff happening on certain parts of the overworld has certain effects on that part of the cave. Imagine a Bearger groundpounding and causing vibrations down, causing minerals to fall down, instead of having a massive earthquake on all players regardless of distance.

Will expect awesome work.

@Diabu, someone else had asked this, but how does that play in with the ruins then? Especially for the Ancient Guardian and the Ancient Machine.

Story wise it would make plenty of sense but gameplay, I'm not sure.

Would it be perhaps something like over a period of time the ruins renew themselves to their old state somehow, orrr???

• Developer

That is cool, just hope that if this does come to fruition that LAN servers aren't left to the way side, otherwise I will simply have to make 2 player online servers with whitelists. That isn't an issue, other than it will flood the online browser with servers people cannot play in.

If you're running LAN just to keep out of the server listings, I'd call that a bug. LAN was really intended to be JUST for users without internet access and will always be a little bit of a lesser experience - stuff that needs internet connectivity of course won't work.

Actually, if you're using LAN for your servers while online, can you message me and let me know why? I'd love to hear the use cases and see if we can't resolve some of them. Also, how often do people use LAN for the intended use of playing when you have no internet?

I'm not really terribly computer savvy, so this may be a very stupid question, but how do you connect to Steam to play a LAN if you have no internet?  I play a LAN with my husband and son as we all live in the same house.  I set it up as a LAN so I didn't have to bother with passwords.  Or is that a mistake, too?

I also play a map with my other son who lives in Australia. (I am in Southern Virginia and we have surprisingly few lag problems, believe it or not.)  Obviously I am not using a LAN with him.  Or is it obvious?

@nome, my wife and I spend 100's of hours on a single (survival) map. We specifically set up a LAN server because it allows the server to require no password and it prevents people who could be disruptive and/or we don't know from accessing it. At the time we set up the server there was no whitelist, it was simply password protected. Given enough time and dedication for some people I felt that a password was simply not enough to keep dedicated disruptive players from gaining access to the server.

• Developer

@nome, my wife and I spend 100's of hours on a single (survival) map. We specifically set up a LAN server because it allows the server to require no password and it prevents people who could be disruptive and/or we don't know from accessing it. At the time we set up the server there was no whitelist, it was simply password protected. Given enough time and dedication for some people I felt that a password was simply not enough to keep dedicated disruptive players from gaining access to the server.

Are you familiar with the steam-friends-only and steam-group-only features? They let you have a server that doesn't show up in the listings unless you're authorized to join it, and also doesn't require a password because it's only joinable by the appropriate steam accounts.

If yes, what about those features is lacking compared to LAN servers?

One thing to note for LAN people - not requiring a password is not necessarily true. :(

Because it's LAN only, it really has no way of verifying that you are who you say you are - anyone who can get traffic to the machine can join and can claim to be anyone they want. So people can take over your server-admin play session and kick you off just by saying they're you and the server will believe them. The only protection is firewalling the traffic off (having no internet access, or making sure your firewall does not forward packets to the server port).

• Developer

I'm not really terribly computer savvy, so this may be a very stupid question, but how do you connect to Steam to play a LAN if you have no internet?  I play a LAN with my husband and son as we all live in the same house.  I set it up as a LAN so I didn't have to bother with passwords.  Or is that a mistake, too?

I also play a map with my other son who lives in Australia. (I am in Southern Virginia and we have surprisingly few lag problems, believe it or not.)  Obviously I am not using a LAN with him.  Or is it obvious?

Are you familiar with the steam-friends-only and steam-group-only settings for servers? You could set up a "TuffDwarf's family" steam group with your husband and children and have any of them able to join the server, but no one else.

If that's not good enough for your use case, we definitely want to hear about it! We're always trying to improve the play experience but that doesn't work if we don't know what problems people are facing in real life. Also, if people don't know about features like steam friends only, we obviously need to do a better job of making them obvious! :-)

I too play DST with family and friends on our own servers - so in order to prevent random people from joining, I make the server "friends only". This way only my friends can join (and if I only want specific friends, I can make it "group only", or put a simple password. I trust people in my friend list not to hack into my private servers). 

Are you familiar with the steam-friends-only and steam-group-only features? They let you have a server that doesn't show up in the listings unless you're authorized to join it, and also doesn't require a password because it's only joinable by the appropriate steam accounts.

If yes, what about those features is lacking compared to LAN servers?

One thing to note for LAN people - not requiring a password is not necessarily true. :(

Because it's LAN only, it really has no way of verifying that you are who you say you are - anyone who can get traffic to the machine can join and can claim to be anyone they want. So people can take over your server-admin play session and kick you off just by saying they're you and the server will believe them. The only protection is firewalling the traffic off (having no internet access, or making sure your firewall does not forward packets to the server port).

I'm fully aware of those feature, however, neither of those features were available at the time of setting the dedicated server up. At this point in time I have no incentive to actually make my server an online server as I've already taken precautions which prevents outside connections accessing the server.

I too play DST with family and friends on our own servers - so in order to prevent random people from joining, I make the server "friends only". This way only my friends can join (and if I only want specific friends, I can make it "group only", or put a simple password. I trust people in my friend list not to hack into my private servers).

nome, Why waste time setting something new up when the way it's set up already does what the new method does, but better?

• Developer

I'm fully aware of those feature, however, neither of those features were available at the time of setting the dedicated server up. At this point in time I have no incentive to actually make my server an online server as I've already taken precautions which prevents outside connections accessing the server.

nome, Why waste time setting something new up when the way it's set up already does what the new method does, but better?

Fair enough - nobody's trying to force you to switch over, we just want to make sure that the user community knows about the features we're introducing and that we know what problems they're experiencing! 

So yeah, anyone who's making new LAN servers when they have internet access, I'd love to know why!

@nome,  if I were setting up a new server I would choose to run a dedicated LAN server because of a few reason besides the ones I've mentioned.

• LAN servers do not require an internet connection; this means if my ISP is having problems I may still play the game.
  • LAN servers are not dependent upon if Steam is online.
  • LAN servers are faster than Online servers when you are on the same network. (100MB/s (LAN) upload versus 1MB/s (Online) upload)
  • LAN servers require less set up than Online servers. When I set up my online servers (in the past) I had to change a bunch of settings in my router. LAN servers did not require these changes to take place.

These are simply a few of the additional reasons why I choose LAN server over Online servers.

Please understand that I am not dismissing the efforts of the development team at all with the additional features for Online servers. I simply think that for 2 people or even a family which are playing on the same local network it's more beneficial for them to run a LAN server compared to an Online server.

Archived