Charlie has been sighted!

When woodie is released, I always thought "How does Charlie come into play at night with night vision?"

What we know about Charlie already - 

- She's Maxwell's assistant (Maxwell is a Magician)

- She is Omnipresent

- Charlie is held captive by "Them"

- She can easily kill players if they don't take caution at night

- Charlie is the only person closest to Maxwell

- Charlie was a victim to Maxwell's magic act (See video Below) 

That question was answered today:

post-435664-0-46979900-1436484939_thumb.

Also it seems like Charlie is not biting people. Though it looks nasty. I am not so comfortable with Charlie doing that to my character.

It looks like she's exploding out of you, as though... there's a little bit of Charlie in all of us...

I thought Charlie won't attack you when you can see her and with DST Woodie I thought you can stand next to him and only having that max sanity drain because of darkness without being worried about being scrached by Charlie, like Woodie is big range magic torch take keep her away from you but don't give you any light source. The way they implemented this looks nice though.

So it seems that the initial assumption that Charlie's weakness is the ability to visually perceive her was wrong. Until now, I thought she was, in some strange way, ashamed of her monstrous appearance. But maybe what we see in the file with Woodie and Wilson means she's simply only capable of attacking if her victim is unable to perceive her, which doesn't create any problem with the fact that characters can be attacked while standing close to a moleworm.

I also used to think that after the Final Act, she had been transformed into an unfathomably deformed beast with the ability to appear anywhere at will, partially based on Wilson's "OW! Something bit me!" quote. The other thing that made me think she had been turned into something like that was the way insanity and associated knowledge work. Since it's Lovecraftian in the sense that it could be considered knowledge humans aren't supposed to obtain, it seemed logical for Charlie to have been transformed into a monster whose excruciatingly terrifying nature was the product of, mainly, the complete incapacity to comprehend its, in a very peculiar and specific way, horrendous aspect and existence as a whole, resulting in fear of the unknown taken to extreme, insanity-inducing levels.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that small amount of black mist is all there is to Charlie.

player_hit_darkness

It only came out the same day as the entire Woodie update, so this is because of night vision.

Woodie CAN see her, but can't see her.

And honestly, at first I thought we could punch the darkness...thinking back I might have just needed a nap...

EDIT: Just now noticed someone else posted this!

Whoopsie! Sorry there! Haha!!

So, you can see Charlie, but you don't really see Charlie...

"You cannot grasp the true form of Charlie's attack!"

yi2qv.jpg

IMMA FIRIN' MAH CHARLIE!

BLAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGH!!!

How does Wilson talk with a mouthful of Charlie?

...that sounded, uh...

I have a theory that Charlie doesn't have a material body anymore. In a way, she IS the darkness. In this gif, we're only seeing Charlie's effect on the player.

When characters are taken from the real world to the DS world, it's almost like they're being converted from a live performance to a recording. They can die over and over, and yet be brought back to life like nothing happened, much like the way a CD can be restarted once the song is over. And with Charlie, that recording got corrupted.

But how?

In other words, I'm dying for more answers.

Seems interesting.  I'll have to chop apart woodie's code to get his nightvision now :grin:

On another note, we can basically confirm the ability to Charlie to hurt someone is to be unable to see and be conscious.  Sleeping players and players with nightvision are the only ones not affected by Charlie.

• Developer

For those wondering, night vision is fully supported now.  The best way to mod it is to create a piece of equipment and give it the "nightvision" tag. It can be equipment for any slot  :indecisiveness:

Archived