Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Curo

Haunting = troll facilitation

Curo    15

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding why ghosts were given the ability to troll. Perhaps the only thing stopping a troll (aside from admin bans) is death. But even in death, they can purposely burn down things, rot food in your crock pot, etc. I think haunting should just have teamwork-oriented effects, rather than "rez me or I burn your base" type abilities.

I was having a great survival game where myself and a few other random people were working together on a map. Then 2 webbers came in, ate all our food, stole our supplies, dropped spiders in camp, and then suicided to beefalo. I thought the nightmare was over, but then they proceeded to destroy our base and food as ghosts. Please do tell me what the point in facilitating malicious behaviour is.

Clwnbaby    949

its a penalty.  Ghosts are actually quite OP, but everyone today only knows the negative effects of ghosts because of all the trolls.  But in the early days of the beta we ghosted and haunted EVERYTHING and found that ghosts are SUPER strong and helpful and if they were only that it would break the game so there needs to be a negative effect too so haunting things becomes more of a gamble than a game breaking mechanic.  Unfortunately they are game breaking just in a negative way rather than a positive and I do feel there should be some in-game mechanic to combat this (other than obviously reviving them).  Visit the suggestion forum there are 2 threads that discuss this and this one is mine :http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52207-repurpose-the-nightlight-for-anti-griefing/

The Letter W    5585

The mechanics were made so that Ghost players would have something to do and could still help out the team, but as you can see most people don't like using it that way. I'm still in support of Ghost Warding/summoning items, providing they can't be used to repel them from revival structures and items.

Silentdarkness1    1161

The mechanics were made so that Ghost players would have something to do and could still help out the team, but as you can see most people don't like using it that way. I'm still in support of Ghost Warding/summoning items, providing they can't be used to repel them from revival structures and items.

This.

There's a misconception that people have about a number of DST features. Heck, some of which even Klei staff have fallen victim to imho(WHYWHYDIDYOUNERFWILLOWYOUDIDNTREALLYHAVETODOIT)

Ghosts are not inherently a troll's paradise. This is merely because the internet is full of people who like to troll using mechanics because they're easily amused.

jbeetle    1873

This.

There's a misconception that people have about a number of DST features. Heck, some of which even Klei staff have fallen victim to imho(WHYWHYDIDYOUNERFWILLOWYOUDIDNTREALLYHAVETODOIT)

Ghosts are not inherently a troll's paradise. This is merely because the internet is full of people who like to troll using mechanics because they're easily amused.

Even if trolls didn't exist, the current ghost mechanic sucks splumonkeys. 

Mario384    1134

I honestly believe ghosts should act like Abigail or something along those lines.  You can still hurt others, but once someone kills you, you're gone forever.  It would a risk factor for weaker players trying to kill other folks off when the dead player's ghost comes after them, while stronger players with better weapons (since ghosts penetrate armor) can kill off the ghost of the player as well.  It also would make ghost players be able to pay for their actions.

GiddyGuy    7709
(since ghosts penetrate armor)
Wait wait wait...GHOST CAN PENETRATE ARMOR ? I never knew this, also what would the penalty if the ghosts died if they would get kicked out of the server that doesn't sound fun for anyone but the alive players. 

XopherPM    38

...(since ghosts penetrate armor)...

Not sure what ghosts you're talking about, or if you're proposing a hypothetical mechanic, but this isn't true for the ghosts in DST.

Mario384    1134

They do not attack like regular mobs, instead inflicting damage whenever next to the player or mob. This damage is dealt as small attacks that are dealt very quickly over time while being the only attack that bypasses the player's armor, making the Ghost a dangerous foe.

If this isn't correct, then blame the wiki:

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost