Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

StarveNot

Can't play the game I want to play so badly. Error during initialization

StarveNot    1

Hey guys,

Would be grateful if I could resolve this issue regarding my ability to play Don't Starve. The game just never seems to launch. I've done various things to help it start, but my efforts never seem to work either.

So now I've just deleted all the content and help for a fresh start, back to step one. Where I am once again meeting with the same error: 'Error during initialization'.

So then I decided to reverify game cache integrity, next I launched up Don't Starve, and I met with the First TIme Setup DirectX download. It launched, then I got the same error during initialization.

and Whenever I try and launch it, the first time setup happens again and the same error repeats itself.

Jeez, I wanted a game to play. Not problems to fix...

Would appreciate any help. 

Thanks,

Neil

Auth    9,446

What system do you use, and do you use the game through steam or standalone?

StarveNot    1

What system do you use, and do you use the game through steam or standalone?

Windows 7 64 bit, using Steam. 

oh yeah and using DirectX 11 (if that helps)

JanH    5,946

"Error during initialization" is commonly seen when the graphics card is not able to render the game. Either the card's drivers are out of date, or because it does not have sufficient dedicated memory (256MB). Please ensure that your graphics card drivers are updated. 

Also could you post your DxDiag and your log.txt (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve\log.txt) - we'll be able to identify the cause of the issue with these files.

StarveNot    1

"Error during initialization" is commonly seen when the graphics card is not able to render the game. Either the card's drivers are out of date, or because it does not have sufficient dedicated memory (256MB). Please ensure that your graphics card drivers are updated. 

Also could you post your DxDiag and your log.txt (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve\log.txt) - we'll be able to identify the cause of the issue with these files.

JanH    5,946

The link to your display tab is not showing your video card specs unfortunately. Could you please re-post that image.

In the meantime, checking your log, it looks like your graphics card is not able to render the game. You'll have to download the latest drivers for your video card.

You can also try changing your desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 to see if the game will be able to start up properly.

StarveNot    1

The link to your display tab is not showing your video card specs unfortunately. Could you please re-post that image.

In the meantime, checking your log, it looks like your graphics card is not able to render the game. You'll have to download the latest drivers for your video card.

You can also try changing your desktop resolution to 1920 x 1080 to see if the game will be able to start up properly.

Oh sorry about that, must've been a copy paste problem, here: http://prntscr.com/7pst72

JanH    5,946

Oh sorry about that, must've been a copy paste problem, here: http://prntscr.com/7pst72

Thanks for the logs and specs info. Looking into these, it looks like your graphics card is running into issues during OpenGL initialization. You'll have to download the latest drivers for your Intel HD Graphics card to fix that.

Also, do you happen to have a dedicated graphics card like an NVIDIA or AMD Radeon installed? 

Finally, can you provide us your "settings.ini" file for both Don't Starve - you will find it in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve\settings.ini

StarveNot    1

Thanks for the logs and specs info. Looking into these, it looks like your graphics card is running into issues during OpenGL initialization. You'll have to download the latest drivers for your Intel HD Graphics card to fix that.

Also, do you happen to have a dedicated graphics card like an NVIDIA or AMD Radeon installed? 

Finally, can you provide us your "settings.ini" file for both Don't Starve - you will find it in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve\settings.ini

I updated my drivers with the Intel Utility, (my new and updated drivers DxDiag display: http://prntscr.com/7q3x9n)

I still get the error during initialization.

I don't have a dedicated graphics card, no AMD radeon or NVIDIA. Here is my settings.ini:

[MISC]
CONSOLE_ENABLED = true
autocompiler_enabled = true

JanH    5,946

I updated my drivers with the Intel Utility, (my new and updated drivers DxDiag display: http://prntscr.com/7q3x9n)

I still get the error during initialization.

I don't have a dedicated graphics card, no AMD radeon or NVIDIA. Here is my settings.ini:

[MISC]
CONSOLE_ENABLED = true
autocompiler_enabled = true

I have attached a modified settings.ini file below which has the commonly supported resolution included. 

NOTE: Before downloading the modified settings.ini file, please go into your Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve folder and delete your current settings.ini.

Then download the file below and save it in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve; then try to launch Don't Starve.

StarveNot    1

I have attached a modified settings.ini file below which has the commonly supported resolution included. 

NOTE: Before downloading the modified settings.ini file, please go into your Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve folder and delete your current settings.ini.

Then download the file below and save it in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve; then try to launch Don't Starve.

Hmm, still get the error: http://prntscr.com/7qwq95 (it keeps trying to download DirectX every time I launch it)

New Log: http://pastebin.com/HgcqVfmp

JanH    5,946

It looks like you'll have to re-run your VCRedist and DXRedist installers.

To re-install VCRedist, check in folder:

Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\VCRedist.exe

To re-install DXSetup, check in folder:

Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\DXRedist.exe

After re-installing both vcredist and DXsetup, try running the game again. Also, I've included a new, modified settings.ini below. Try copy and pasting that into your Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve folder.

settings.ini

StarveNot    1

It looks like you'll have to re-run your VCRedist and DXRedist installers.

To re-install VCRedist, check in folder:

Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\VCRedist.exe

To re-install DXSetup, check in folder:

Steam\steamapps\common\dont_starve\DXRedist.exe

After re-installing both vcredist and DXsetup, try running the game again. Also, I've included a new, modified settings.ini below. Try copy and pasting that into your Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve folder.

attachicon.gifsettings.ini

Re-install VCRedist: Successful.

Re-install VCRedist: Error. (http://i.imgur.com/Ftl5jKC.png)

DXError.log: http://pastebin.com/QbcnJVBD

DirectX.log: http://pastebin.com/FY0XbjAW

For some reason I cannot reinstall DXRedist. I don't understand how, or why considering I updated my drivers to the latest. 

JanH    5,946

When trying to install DxRedist, try right-clicking it and choosing "Run as Administrator". 

Should that not resolve the issue, one final recommendation we can provide is to try and play the game via the standalone version. If you purchased the game from Steam, here are the steps to get your standalone version of Don't Starve.

If you purchased from Don't Starve's official site, or from Humble Store, check here for steps on getting your standalone.

StarveNot    1

When trying to install DxRedist, try right-clicking it and choosing "Run as Administrator". 

Should that not resolve the issue, one final recommendation we can provide is to try and play the game via the standalone version. If you purchased the game from Steam, here are the steps to get your standalone version of Don't Starve.

If you purchased from Don't Starve's official site, or from Humble Store, check here for steps on getting your standalone.

Still no good, already tried doing run as admin. Also, can't do the stand alone version because there isn't a steam key. 

HIRMDWI.png

JanH    5,946

Sorry to hear that; unfortunately we've gone through all possible troubleshooting steps, all we can recommend now is to contact Steam Support about the possibility of getting a refund due to system incompatibility.

StarveNot    1

Sorry to hear that; unfortunately we've gone through all possible troubleshooting steps, all we can recommend now is to contact Steam Support about the possibility of getting a refund due to system incompatibility.

I fixed it by doing a free upgrade to windows 10. I don't think it was caused by a system incompatability. More like OS problem or some program problem/

Thanks Jan!  :lemo:

JanH    5,946

Glad to hear that you are able to play again; thanks for giving us an update on your situation.