Platform

PS3

Do you use mods?

No

Version Number

Issue title

Character will not move upon entering new world or cave

Steps to reproduce

Generate new worlds until you encounter one that causes the issue. Code review character collision detection and procedure content generation.

Describe your issue

Some worlds/caves generate and the character cannot move upon entering them. The correct movement animation plays when moving the analog stick but the character does not move, even in an open field. I did not see any objects in the way so it's not like the character spawned on top of an object.

I've lost three saves to this, all of which were working fine when I saved them. When loaded the next day, my character was frozen in place. I'm on PS3 also, and had RoG disabled as well. Two saves were as Willow, one as Wilson. Default worlds each time.

I have successfully recreated this on a new world generation multiple times through the following method:

1- New Game, wilson, default world, RoG off

2- During loading, world generation, tap the left analog stick right, keep hitting the X button

3- When maxwell dialogue starts tapping the x button will skip it

4- When character stands up, he is stuck in place (even after exit/reload)

Doesn't always work, with the above method, seems about 50/50, but hopefully consistent enough to debug.

Hope this helps...

I have the exact same problem. I bought the game yesterday via PS Store but when I made my first attempt to start the game with Wilson with default settings and RoG disabled, the character was stuck although walking animation was normal. I then exit the game, restarted it and deleted the save and tried to start the game with identical settings, it worked fine. That save worked fine until I died on a hound attack. I then started a new game with the same settings and played until early hours and then I saved and exit the game. Today when I tried to continue my save, Wilson won't move anymore. The animations are normal but he's stuck. This makes the game currently unplayable. Please fix this issue with the highest priority! Thank you.

Hello!

I'm a french guy, and I have Don't Starve Giant Edition on ps3 since a few weeks.

Many times, when I load a saved game, everything is ok, but the character (wilson most of the time) can't move. It runs, but stays at the same place.

I tried to quit and re-run, nothing helps... Even after several days/week

What can I do?

Does that bug exist for other users?

Thx!

BomBoWo

I know this has been sitting inactive for a bit, but I felt the need to add in my experience as the problem obviously remains.

I'm playing on PS3 Giants Edition. R&G turned off, default world, and have had the exact problem with Wilson upon starting several times, and once upon loading a WX-78 game. In the instance of WX-78 it had just become night time where I left off and he was next to a full basic campfire. I don't know if that last bit is relevant, but included it just in case.

Hey everyone, we're sorry for the inconvenience and want thank you for your patience while we work with the PS3 developer of Don't Starve to fix reported bugs. 

There's just a a little bit more testing to do (so that we can ensure that reported bugs have been fixed), and then there's the certification process with Sony before we can launch the patch for the PS3 version.

I'm glad to hear this bug is being worked on since I couldn't find any help for it. Just recently purchased the game and highly addicted it to it but have encountered this problem a couple of times. Once on a 32 day save just reloaded, once on a longer save (I was lucky timing I let hounds show up and kill me and had to use up the Resurrection thing I had activated so I could continue), and once on a newly created world. Wilson, Willow, and Wendy respectively so I don't think character matters. Obviously the ones with the longer saves are the more frustrating to lose... 

Is the patch something automatically downloaded or will we hear about it when it's available?

Actually, I've been playing a bunch this weekend and it hasn't happened again. The saved game where it is a problem hasn't been fixed, but after maybe a dozen new games I haven't gotten stuck (was 1 out of every 2 or 3). I did uninstall the game and reinstall it then get the updates. A weird thing is that it looks like there are two versions of the game in the PS Store. This time I picked the one dated 2015, not the one dated 2014. Not sure if that made a difference.

Hate to say it, but this error has me backing up my saved games so I won't lose my game. I haven't used it to cheat death yet. I know I'll be tempted though.

On 12/8/2015 at 5:32 PM, Wade said:

The patch should be automatically downloaded, and has been released now.

Are you still experiencing the issue with the update?

I just bought the game on PS3 a few days ago, my first save had this problem after playing for an hour or so, then coming back the next day. It was a default world without RoG as well. I've started a second game and had a really nice start, but now I'm kind of afraid to try it again. :\

I assume it's abandoned at this point, but just to warn anyone else against buying this:

I started a new game after my last post and played for a couple hours, saving and playing again another day with no issue. After not playing for a couple weeks or so, I started the game up a few days ago with the same problem. Remembering I hadn't tried a custom world, I decided to "cheat" and make a world with extra food, beefalo and stuff to get started faster, thinking I would just play as far as I could and quit since I might not be able to get on again. Unfortunately this version does not seem to let you increase 99% of the options, only lower them. So at this point I'm cutting my losses, deleting the game, and advising anyone thinking of buying it to just get the PC version instead, which even in Beta has never given me anywhere near as much trouble. I know it's probably out of Klei's hands, but that's just even sadder.

I am experiencing the same problem, also on PS3 (fully updated), no mods, with default world and with RoG turned off

For me it might happen on creating a new world, it might happen and it might happen when exiting a cave.  I do not know whether or not it also happens when entering or exiting the ruins.  I have only made it so far (the ruins) a few times, due to this bug.  I have a few notes to the problem, which might or might not be helpful in finding the problem.

I have tried it around 12 times, and a few of then (around 5 times), when the character eventually died, I resurrected at a meat effigy or a touch stone and was able to move again.  This has happened to me in two different games.  The rest of the times I did not have a meat effigy/touch stone, sometimes because it was in the beginning of the game.

Another thing is, that the times I have experienced this "freezing" of the character on exiting a cave, I have been able to enter the case again, as the only action (except dropping stuff).  In these situations, when I entered the cave again after not being able to move on top, I was able to move in the cave, so that the problem was only on place at a time.  I could enter and exit the cave as much as I wanted, but no matter what, I was able to move below, but not above.  So it did not help to enter  the cave again, like it did not help to exit the game and the enter it again.

I really hope you manage to fix this, because it really takes the fun out of a game like this.

I have experienced this bug twice so far, on the PS3, with RoG disabled. It happened with Wilson and WX-78. The first time it happened I had saved my game right next to my fire pit. When I loaded my game it seems WX-78 had spawned on top of my fire pit and couldn't move. I jad to delete my game.

And just now it happened with Wilson when exiting the cave. It looks as though I spawned on top of the cave entrance. I can go back to the cave, but everytime I try to get out I'm stuck. I tried to save and reload, but it didn't help.

I bought the game about a month ago and now I've just lost a 90-days game. It's kinda frustrating :(

I bought this game (PS3 RoG addition) on February 18th 2016 and have continuously come across this bug during default and custom modes. I am currently playing a 100+ day world where I cannot enter a cave due to being stuck as soon as I spawn at the bottom of the rope. It does ruin the enjoyment when this happens. I am up to date with the patch by the way.

Is there any official word on this problem yet. 

I've had the problem several times now. Mostly upon loading a saved game again. 

I have a game saved now where this problem is occurring, and I noticed it isn't just being unable to move - I'm stuck right next to my camp fire, however I can't add any fuel to the fire either. Though I can navigate the item menu, when I push the button to add fuel it just looks like the character is running on the spot again; no fuel is added. So I can't move or keep warm. This means I'm going to freeze to death very soon, but I'll keep the save in case it's useful for you. 

Please doing give up on this issue of really does ruin the best game I've played in years. Please reply and let us know what you're doing about this, thanks. 

Edit : ps3,  no ROG, default world settings 

Archived