Ping

2. Finish what we feel needs to be finished. Unfortunately, this may require art, which as far as I know, we're lacking in the (active) artist department.

You could hit me up in November if you really don't care where or how consistently you get it.

Also, regarding to difficulty, it's more that players have trouble getting out of battles with things they aren't prepared for (gummy bears and duckraptors and things like that,) which with my limited knowledge of lua might be an easy fix. Everything else is spot on in terms of balance.

You could hit me up in November if you really don't care where or how consistently you get it.

Also, regarding to difficulty, it's more that players have trouble getting out of battles with things they aren't prepared for (gummy bears and duckraptors and things like that,) which with my limited knowledge of lua might be an easy fix. Everything else is spot on in terms of balance.

November is very far away. The idea was to get the mod "released" by the end of this month, but I've learned not to give estimates. We'll get it done SoonTM.

Of course, the mod won't be really finished, but that's a problem for another day.

Edit: I nearly forgot to address the difficulty points. I see what you mean, although that's something addressed too. The cotton candy weapon actually slows mobs down quite a bit, and is meant to be used to keep mobs away. It's a risk/reward deal, where you have to kite the mob at least once in order to utilize the effect.

This, in combination with the beanlet armor (which increases movement speed), produces a pretty decent counter to mobs with longer chase times. 

Like I said, there are solutions, but they're not immediately obvious, and so the difficulty really shines because by not utilizing the offered counters, you're essentially handicapping yourself.

However we spin it, difficulty needs to be addressed in some way.

May just give a suggestion for the difficulty of the mod... ? What i found really difficult the first time Ive played it, it was knowing how stuff "works", its ok to have some items /mobs that you have to find out how they works but an entire mod is a bit excessive I'm my opinion. If only few things were added to the Wiki, which i still find pretty empty, i think the difficulty of this mod (which all the other stuff thats gonna be tweaked) will be lowered to normal and not "die hard" as its now. 

Just a thought though.

November is very far away. The idea was to get the mod "released" by the end of this month, but I've learned not to give estimates. We'll get it done SoonTM.

Of course, the mod won't be really finished, but that's a problem for another day.

If you want I could help now, but I'd be pretty much useless considering I've owned my tablet for roughly 2 days. :p

Edit: I nearly forgot to address the difficulty points.

I see what you mean, although that's something addressed too. The cotton candy weapon actually slows mobs down quite a bit, and is meant to be used to keep mobs away. It's a risk/reward deal, where you have to kite the mob at least once in order to utilize the effect.

This, in combination with the beanlet armor (which increases movement speed), produces a pretty decent counter to mobs with longer chase times.

Like I said, there are solutions, but they're not immediately obvious, and so the difficulty really shines because by not utilizing the offered counters, you're essentially handicapping yourself.

However we spin it, difficulty needs to be addressed in some way.

Oh yeah, those. A wiki definitely help with that, as LampOfUlmine said.

May just give a suggestion for the difficulty of the mod... ? What i found really difficult the first time Ive played it, it was knowing how stuff "works", its ok to have some items /mobs that you have to find out how they works but an entire mod is a bit excessive I'm my opinion. If only few things were added to the Wiki, which i still find pretty empty, i think the difficulty of this mod (which all the other stuff thats gonna be tweaked) will be lowered to normal and not "die hard" as its now. 

Just a thought though.

I agree, knowing the solutions to specific problems is itself, a problem. 

Instead of having users rely on the wiki for that stuff (which does need work, of course) I'd rather users have ways of discovering solutions in-game. Like I mentioned, I think perhaps the Shopkeeper/Mercurius pages would fit the bill. Players could find these notes scattered around the world, and by reading into the lore just a little, they could discover solutions to problems they're experiencing. Combined with a slight nerf to mob ranges, this would alleviate the difficulty problems, I think.

Not that I don't want the wiki to be expanded (I really really do. Whenever I see that somebody has made even a slight edit I smile a bit), but I don't want users to rely on it for these types of things. If a game or mod forces its users to read what is essentially a walkthrough, then there is a problem with the difficulty. That problem should be addressed, rather than bandaged.

Instead of having users rely on the wiki for that stuff (which does need work, of course) I'd rather users have ways of discovering solutions in-game. Like I mentioned, I think perhaps the Shopkeeper/Mercurius pages would fit the bill. Players could find these notes scattered around the world, and by reading into the lore just a little, they could discover solutions to problems they're experiencing. Combined with a slight nerf to mob ranges, this would alleviate the difficulty problems, I think.

Not that I don't want the wiki to be expanded (I really really do. Whenever I see that somebody has made even a slight edit I smile a bit), but I don't want users to rely on it for these types of things. If a game or mod forces it's users to read what is essentially a walkthrough, then there is a problem with the difficulty. That problem should be addressed, rather than bandaged.

While it's not exactly useful in it's current state, maybe you're interesting in seeing this. I'll try to make it fancy enough for use in U&A, with an index page, fluently expanding content and whatever crosses my mind.

Honestly, we can just copy the code into U&A so the player doesn't need to use yet another mod. I wouldn't mind.

Or would you prefer those notes to be individual items that the player just throws away after reading?

Not that I don't want the wiki to be expanded (I really really do. Whenever I see that somebody has made even a slight edit I smile a bit), but I don't want users to rely on it for these types of things. If a game or mod forces its users to read what is essentially a walkthrough, then there is a problem with the difficulty. That problem should be addressed, rather than bandaged.

That might actually be a good idea to leave scattered pages around the world, just wondering though how many pages should the player find before having a good and highlight, good understanding of the mod. I think there should be a selection between what must be explained in the Wiki and what it shouldn't.

What if, just putting it there, on the Wiki you find only general infos about the things of the mod, something such as life of a mob, stat and non-static explained i bit more widely but in the end there would be a note with "THIS IS ALL WE CAN GIVE YOU, YOU'RE GONNA FIND THE REST IN THE WORLD" or similar. That would be a nice trade off, having that last bit of Unknwon to discover (aka perks, special behaviors of mobs, plant that seems just plants but only what to eat your ass... XD).

2. Show the player how problems can be solved. I think the Shopkeeper's journal pages would fit the bill perfectly, but that's more work instead of less.

Don't Shopkeeper journal pages that advise the player go against the spirit of Don't Starve? If the base game is anything to go by, the player should learn through experimentation not given instructions and hints. As to balance, we should look towards adding subtle changes to improve it for the player, adding more enemies and content aimed at challenging the player/being further up the progression ladder just makes the mod harder and adds things the average player is unlikely to see.

What if, just putting it there, on the Wiki you find only general infos about the things of the mod, something such as life of a mob, stat and non-static explained i bit more widely but in the end there would be a note with "THIS IS ALL WE CAN GIVE YOU, YOU'RE GONNA FIND THE REST IN THE WORLD" or similar. That would be a nice trade off, having that last bit of Unknwon to discover (aka perks, special behaviors of mobs, plant that seems just plants but only what to eat your ass... XD).

In it's uncomplete state, that's basically what the wiki is right now. :razz:

But realistically that's kind of exactly the opposite of what a wiki should do. If someone bothers to look up information about the mod because they are stuck, the last thing they want is a cheeky note to let them know that they will just have to find out for themselves, which will no doubt result in a death half the time, and eventually drive people away. Some people will use the wiki from the start and others will use it as a last resort. I don't think we should begrudge people who decide to play in a particular way.

You could always take the same route as Klei and have enemies aggro and defend against other enemies/compete with you for valuable materials.

Some enemies would have to be changed since none of them really have the same abilities players are supposed to use in order to avoid fights with some of the more persistent mobs, but it'd be a good strategy nonetheless.

So July is over, and how's progress?

I for my part struggled too much with understanding the huge amount of functions and methods and modules and so on included, and couldn't run it well either (trying to cut unneeded parts was a mistake). I didn't manage to achieve anything noteworthy on my own, not even the whirlwind immunity :( I didn't get any orders from you guys either. Or anything for that matter

I'm sorry for being useless. Hopefully I can at least support U&A with my own, comparatively small mods.

So July is over, and how's progress?

I for my part struggled too much with understanding the huge amount of functions and methods and modules and so on included, and couldn't run it well either (trying to cut unneeded parts was a mistake). I didn't manage to achieve anything noteworthy on my own, not even the whirlwind immunity :( I didn't get any orders from you guys either. Or anything for that matter

I'm sorry for being useless. Hopefully I can at least support U&A with my own, comparatively small mods.

Well, simplex disappeared. He's the one responsible for the more technical challenges, such as our DST compatibility and the sort. No progress has been made, unfortunately. I'm still around, though. I've been reading relevant posts when I can. This month has been pretty busy, and the time that I have had off, nobody has been around.

You're not useless; you didn't have any help or direction. If you still want something to do, let me know. Especially if you have any questions, I can try to answer them.

As for the whirlwind immunity, I believe just toggling a "NOFLING" tag onto the player prefab would do the trick. The entityflinger component is what controls that.

Ive been away on holiday for two weeks but before leaving I've posted on the other thread the static electricity designs as you guys requested. I thought i would have heard something about that after these two weeks but apparently not much has been done. Is there the need for more of those designs ? Anything in particular that has to be done in regards to that electricity mob you guys were planning to create ?! Just wondering how things are going ! :lemo:

Hell, I have 3 websites I can edit the names of, but they are .nn.pe (Nitrous Networks hosting :) ) and the account to control them has some personal details, but I can probably forward some weebly site or upload html files.

On a different topic I have 2 copies of Lucius and one copy of Woodle Tree Adventures (Friend developed single handedly) if devs accept donations ;)

Archived