[Mod] Dr. Kit Pedler

Dr Pedler was a playable character in the alpha of Invisible, inc. (when it still was called Incognita) but was removed when the game jumped to early access because it became almost an entirely different game. Pedler's design and mechanics didn't fit the style and gameplay of the new game, but some still like his design and when it was discovered that his old character model still was in the game's code he was brought back to life through modding.

I'm not an Invisible Inc player, but the name of this mod intrigues me, because I am a Doctor Who fan. The real Dr Kit Pedler was co-creator of the Cybermen back in 1966. Could someone please enlighten me as to why his name is being used here? Thanks!

Because it's a reference to Dr Who and Cybermen. If character was released officially he'd probably had changed name and reference was obscured, but in mod same name used. What's a backstory of giving him that name at alpha only Klei knows.

Because it's a reference to Dr Who and Cybermen. If character was released officially he'd probably had changed name and reference was obscured, but in mod same name used. What's a backstory of giving him that name at alpha only Klei knows.

Actually part of Pedler's design was carried over as part of dr. Xu and Sharp

Actually part of Pedler's design was carried over as part of dr. Xu and Sharp

hey @Shirsh

I am sad to hear about how the shield rigs are not available anymore, and about its new augment, I thought the same when I saw olivia's augment. I was like "well, dang. There goes Peddler's usefulness".

I really, really like Peddler and I think he deserves an augment that is more unique than just 2 titanium rods for the slot size of one (by the way its not meant to be an offense) and I thought of a way to give Peddler an augment that feels unique. And I think I have found something.

Peddler's description says he is a "PWR juggler" although even the Peddler prior to update 12 didn't feel like he 'juggled' PWR. I suggest Peddler has a special ability with a set cool down, like an item, but it is installed to Peddler like a unique augment.

I'll try to explain using an example.

Imagine Peddler had Monst3r's overcloaked D.A.R.T. gun. It has a cool down of 8 turns (quite a lot to my liking but lets ignore that) for practical purposes we will ignore its negative effect of triggering daemons. So if Peddler has the item and it is on cool down, lets say you just used it so it will be ready in 8 turns. If you use Peddler's augment you can use the item again (assuming you still have an action available) at the cost of -8 PWR. You charge the device taking 8 PWR from your PWR pool and you are able to use it again, but you MUST use it that turn, you CANT charge it and use it later (this ability is meant to be an emergency tactic not so much of a spare battery) Now supposing the item were on 6 CD or 5 CD it would subtract a quantity of PWR equal to the number of turns left until the item is usable again.

But it doesn't end there. It can also work on reverse. Lets now say you have your overcloaked D.A.R.T. gun charged and available. If you don't feel like using the item you may put the item on cool down and receive a PWR bonus. So if you use the ability on the overcloaked D.A.R.T. gun when it is charged you would receive +8 PWR but the gun will be on cool down. This is to make the augment usable for items that use PWR instead of turns to charge up like volt disrupters. 

I feel like the ability could be balanced when used on reverse. If you think that getting +8 PWR by just putting one item on cool down you could make it so that the PWR gained follows a certain logic (P = PWR gained, C = CD of the item, P = C/2, where P >= 2, else P = 1)  or just ignore the reverse mechanic completely.

Also, a fair cool down for this ability is important it must have a cool down greater to 1 turns, otherwise it would be able to be used several times on a turn, I suggest a good cool down for this ability would be somewhere between 3 and 5, maybe 4. Also I suggest this ability's cool down is not affected by the Torque injector's augment since that could potentially break the ability.

I hope this suggestion helped you in your modding, I would like to mod this myself, but I don't know what file I would have to modify in order to do this. Some sort of 'use_item' function, I think? it would be something like this in pseudo code:

this is an example in pseudo code of the 'inverse' usage of the ability

use_item = function?
{
      if count.augments(peddler_augment_kpc) > 1:  

--this count.augments condition is supposing you are voluntarily activating the ability, it is not meant to hit this condition just for the reason of having the augment installed.

{
           set.cooldown = item_cooldown --this will place the item on its normal cool down, but notice no 'use_item' statement is executed.
           addCPU = item_cooldown  --this will award you the PWR units for using the ability equal to the item's CD turns
           set.peddler_augment_kpc = peddler_augment_cooldown  --this line puts the ability on cool down

}

else --this line hits when you DONT activate the ability so item execution works normally

{

use.item  --normal item execution. the item does its job

set.cooldown = item_cooldown --since the item was used the item goes on its cool down as normal

}

}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an example of the 'normal' usage of the augment in pseudo code.

item_unusable = function?
{
       if item.on_cooldown

{
             if count.augments(peddler_augment_kpc) > 1 --if the player has the augment and triggers it

{

add.CPU = -(item.cooldown)  -- add the negative value of the number of turns on cool down the item has

item.set_cooldown = 0  -- set the cool down of the item to 0 so the player can use the item
                    set.peddler_augment_kpc = peddler_augment_cooldown  -- place peddler's augment on cool down

}

else  -- if the current player does not have the ability or does not trigger it then...
                {
                  raise.exception(item_unavailable  -- raise the normal exception not allowing the player to use the item since it is on cool down
                  set.reason = 'item on cooldown'  -- set the reason for this as normal

}
}

I hope this suggestion helps you to make your mod even more awesome! I really appreciate all your efforts to make Peddler live once again, and I hope you get to make old forgotten Peddler as renowned in the Invisible Inc agency as agents like Internationale or Tony Xu.

May Peddler live forever. Best of lucks for you, friend      

Hi Shrish,

Thanks for your work!! I started running expert+ with Mist & Dr.Pedler now, and it is so fun to play with different agents. In love with both of them (I have no idea what Dr.Pedler was like in an original alpha game though). Plus Mist's Mind Shade comes in very handy when it's needed.

By the way, am I missing something? I can't find how to slam a door with Dr.Pedler.

Keep up the amazing works.

BE

I can't find how to slam a door with Dr.Pedler.

button appear in actions panel below (after overwatch and ambush buttons) when Pedler stays in front of the door (it's not worked to locked doors though)

and I like that you liked mod ^_^

His melee cost 3 movement point now. "Heavy handed" etc

But I was thinking: maybe permit melee with 2 points too? hmmm

Hey Shirsh I was wondering, How does the modtrait = {{ meleeDamage, 2 }} Thing work?

I've been looking for the code where it should say that if the player has the augment_kpc_pistons installed he receives a bonus of +2 ko time, but I just can't find it

How about if you don't have the 3 movement points available the extra ko time is reduced per movement point missing? something like this: If you have only 2 mp then your bonus ko time is only +1 ko if you have 1 mp you don't get any bonus ko time, but if your mp is 0 then you receive a penalty to your ko time of -1 ko.

this is the code I did manage to edit:

--------- Code that check for current Dr.Pedler's augment:				if unit:countAugments( "augment_kpc_pistons" ) > 0 then					local BRAWLING_DRAWBACK = 3					-- +2 bonus ko time					local KPC_SPENDABLE_ENERGY = unit:getMP() - BRAWLING_DRAWBACK 					if KPC_SPENDABLE_ENERGY < 0 then						if KPC_SPENDABLE_ENERGY = -1 then							BRAWLING_DRAWBACK = 2							-- +1 bonus ko time						--end						else if KPC_SPENDABLE_ENERGY = -2							BRAWLING_DRAWBACK = 1							-- +0 bonus ko time						--end						else if KPC_SPENDABLE_ENERGY = -3							BRAWLING_DRAWBACK = 0							-- -1 ko time penalty						end					end					if unit:getPlayerOwner() ~= sim:getCurrentPlayer() then						if not unit:getTraits().floatTxtQue then							unit:getTraits().floatTxtQue = {}						end						table.insert(unit:getTraits().floatTxtQue,{txt=util.sformat(STRINGS.DrPedler.UI.BRAWLING_DRAWBACK,BRAWLING_DRAWBACK),color={r=216/255,g=37/255,b=19/255,a=1}})					else						sim:dispatchEvent( simdefs.EV_GAIN_AP, { unit = unit } )						sim:dispatchEvent( simdefs.EV_UNIT_FLOAT_TXT, {txt=util.sformat(STRINGS.DrPedler.UI.BRAWLING_DRAWBACK,BRAWLING_DRAWBACK),x=x0,y=y0,color={r=216/255,g=37/255,b=19/255,a=1}} ) 					end					unit:addMP( -BRAWLING_DRAWBACK )				end 

Also I noticed that your strings.lua file for mist seemed to have some misspellings it had "camomile" and it should be "chamomile" and it had a weird "ñ" in there too. Do you have a spanish keyboard? if you do know spanish I also speak spanish it is my first language actually, maybe I could help you.

I also made a some small changes for my convenience to the code for the tazermat I changed it so that it gave +2 PWR instead of just +1 PWR and increased its cooldown to 4 turns, but this is just personal preference. I don't think it is a necessary rebalance change.

Also is it possible to mod archive versions of modded agents? I remember when you were experimenting with graphics and kwad extraction that you accidentally created a "toothless" Peddler. I have thought of an archive version for peddler that adds movement points equal to the amount of power obtained by hacking a terminal. I would like to have that "toothless" Peddler for the archive version in a silver, blueish color, Idk. I will keep looking into that.

How does the modtrait = {{ meleeDamage, 2 }} Thing work?

It add +2 KO indeed, KO time counts as damage (similiar thing with grenades, emp reboot time etc).

How about if you don't have the 3 movement points available the extra ko time is reduced per movement point missing?

I prefer current "all or nothing" more

it had "camomile" and it should be "chamomile" and it had a weird "ñ" in there too.

About first one google says me both a legitime, idk. Weird "ñ" happened from russian "c", it looks 100% the same and on same key with english "c". There was "should" at one point and when only single letter was edited wrong "c" slip through. >_<

+ I am not understand is it possible to make archive versions or not: Jason's instruction imply that it should be possible, but there's no working example and when I trying it lead to additions of extra agents instead of loadouts.

your final line added

Archived