Please disable ghost's ability to break and haunt

Veteran player here. I don't want to be salty, but I really dislike the design of ghosts. Sure,I have encountered multiple ghosts in the closed beta stage. However, with the influx of newcomers, I feel the need to punch my fist through the monitor every time a ghost tries to haunt the crockpot or doing the following things: burn stuff on fire, break firepit, and create red hounds.Please revise how the ghost interacts with the environment. 

So here is my anecdote:

I revived one person and didn't have enough health to revive 2 more players. So, I had been cooking fishsticks in the hope of reviving one more person. A ghost came and haunted the pot. BAM, goop. I told them before hand," don't haunt, you are making things worse".

At least during closed beta, the players actually listen to your instructions and warnings. During the past week, not only did people ignore my warnings and my help, they proceeded to act immaturely.

Please, if you are a ghost, don't make other people's life even more miserable.  

I played open servers(evade pvp cus certain LocalNoob and SigmaWhatFace) for the sole purpose to enjoy playing and interacting with unfamiliar faces. Now, I became selfish, cringey and paranoid of people coming to "help me". The concept of ghosts are just really flawed as the level of gameplay actually increases exponentially, taking away the comfort that I usually enjoy. Revise, please. 

dl;dr : I'm been salty about ghosts. Ghosts are awful. Revise ghosts. 

A little update to what happened to the server I was in. It's called NYC survival. After constant reviving and feeding people food, I realized that I could never babysit newcomers so I abandoned them for selfish reasons. I got a basic base running near some pigs and lived away from other players. After winter had hit, everyone died. Then, 10 more people came and left as the winter's cold progressed. I was lucky to get a tam o'shanter on my first try so I decided to out live the ghost. I killed 10 terrorbeaks and 40 crawlers (you know I was serious).

After few days, a person rejoined and revived 3 more people. The story repeated itself when people died again. This time, the rejoined person also died, due to crawlers. Most of the ghosts left, except that more people decided to make my life miserable. There was a point where the entire population got wiped out and I was clinging onto gloomer for a sanity sip.

These are the direct quotes from the ghosts:

" revive me or forever be haunted"

"get him"

"where's base"

"where are you" 

"im going to kill you"

"let's haunt his camp"

"please just die so we can rewind"

"die die die"

The end? I left when deeclops came to my base. I tried to rejoin the server and realized it was reset D:

The bottom line is that ghosts can grief with impunity and there is no way to counter them. I can do all sorts of mean stuff to people by manipulating PvE or getting Charlie's attention, but ghosts are immune to everything but host intervention. This is not "part of the game", this is simply bad design that encourages a ban culture for dying.

Today's Klei stream said that the ghost haunting mechanic was tweaked to avoid setting things on fire. Next update

Which makes me both happy and sad.

There just happens to come the issue where being a ghost can be...boring.

Honestly it'd interest me if the ghost players could actually attack things and had a set ghost health thing and you wouldn't be attacked unless you aggro'd or PvP. If you run all of that health down you get brought back to the character menu. Magic.

(They do have angry faces for the character ghosts which leads me to believe they were thinking of making them useful with attacking but there comes the issue of how it would work)

Ghosts haunting and setting things on fire was stupid and unrealistic as hell. Wtf was that about, Klei? I mean, you could have made ghosts spawn with flamethrowers and all the community would be fine with ghosts setting things on fire using those flamethrowers. But "haunting"? Lol, nope.

Ghosts haunting and setting things on fire was stupid and unrealistic as hell. Wtf was that about, Klei? I mean, you could have made ghosts spawn with flamethrowers and all the community would be fine with ghosts setting things on fire using those flamethrowers. But "haunting"? Lol, nope.

tumblr_m4tsramCAy1qzyang.gif

I'm not 100% against the "ghost's setting things on fire" thing, I feel that the ghost's haunt should be a "Gambling" mechanic.  I've instructed my play group that when they are a ghost, to only haunt specific things.  Whether that's crops in a farm (not the farm itself) mushroom plots (to change their color), rocks (to mine), flowers (for evil flowers > nightmare fuel) and a couple others.

Sometimes we successfully change the color of a mushroom, other times it catches fire (which I put out with ice)

Basically, I'm not against the haunt ability SOMETIMES giving good things and SOMETIMES giving bad things, but when you have some actions ONLY cause bad things to happen, then it just get's frustrating when someone who doesn't know what they are doing unintentionally grief, and those that do know what they are doing intentionally grief.

I'd rather add GOOD things to certain haunt targets while keeping the bad, and maybe add BAD things to certain haunt targets, while keeping the good.  Like haunting a crock pot that's cooking makes it cook faster, or cause the product to goop, or cause the product to fully restore freshness, or rot entirely.

Haunting could use a rework is all, I might make a mod adjusting it and see how it works out.

I'd rather add GOOD things to certain haunt targets while keeping the bad, and maybe add BAD things to certain haunt targets, while keeping the good.

You could make it a 85% chance of haunting something and turning it into 99 gears, and 15% chance of haunting something and burning it down (and everything else too). People would still hate it. Because it's not a matter of gambling.

Do you see people complaining fiercely that haunting stuff can also hammer it down?

No, because you pick up the 50% left and rebuild it.

Fire just keeps going.

In the next update, Ghosts will not be able to burn bases.

And won't be able to break stuff like a hammer.

Wait, but this means that... Ghost farming is gonna be back in business :D (and by farming, I mean that ghosts could haunt crops to make them grow faster).

The Ghosts are adorable and when I play, I find there's ways to incorporate their abilities. For one thing, you can haunt flowers and start getting Dark Flowers. You can get Werepigs without stockpiling Monster Meat. You can accidentally a Treegaurd. 

Unfortunately, you're not going to get this out of pubs. Maybe just make haunting toggleable or something. Toggles are the solution to everything. 

Maybe they read my post ;)

and many others. If I agree with nothing else you ever say, I do believe that there was no good to come of ghosts the way they were. (However, I do still hope that just turning off the feature is temporary, and rather they have an alternative planned)

Archived