Set Pieces Might Need Tweaking for DST

So I've been thinking about how certain Set Pieces fit into DST and I thought I'd make a little place for us to kick around a few ideas concerning the future of Set Pieces and how they fit into DST. 

Most of the Set Pieces are nice to get but don't make or break a world. Except for the Reed Trap. 

For most of us the Reed Trap is a necessity, most of us going through world after world searching for a Reed Trap before even considering making something of that map. 

And in DST time is more precious, if you want to make a proper world with your friends you need to tip-toe your way around all of your schedules to fit in a decent amount of game time, because of this most people don't want to bother world regening for hours trying to get the holy grail that is the Reed Trap. 

I for one feel like the more important Pieces should either be guaranteed to spawn or have an increased chance to spawn to - at least - speed up the tiresome process of trying to get certain Pieces. 

So I pose the question to you all, what do you think of how the current system of Set Pieces fits into DST? Should it be changed by Klei and if so how? Or should we simply suck it up and go with the RNG or perhaps even leave it to mods? 

Whadaya think guise? And if anyone is open to making a mod that does this, you should do that thing mkay.

Gosh, guys you're so obsessed with the reed trap that my mind's just boggled.

Why not just have an option for set pieces that enables all the set pieces in the game and to spawn at least once (an option after lots called all).

I also think that some set pieces should be base set pieces and some trap pieces could also look like bases, while still being traps. Say a base with a chest in the middle and once you open the chest, the old bell in the chest rings and bigfoot smashes the base.

I also think that some set pieces should be base set pieces and some trap pieces could also look like bases, while still being traps. Say a base with a chest in the middle and once you open the chest, the old bell in the chest rings and bigfoot smashes the base.

Don't the Abandoned Beefalo Pen trap, summer/winter trap, fit that description? Or do you mean a fully furnished (crockpot, icebox, tent... the works) base? (the spider-cave-camp-thing in the caves come to mind  too but... "caves" so not in DST yet, but still)

old bell

@RalphKastro

@RalphKastro 

@RalphKastro

@RalphKastro

@RalphKastro...

Summon!!

I think that in pvp and survival, we should take away the Summer/Winter trap. Cause if someone new happens to open it, not expecting what to find, they cause problems for the entire server. Noting the fact that the person who opened it has gear for themselves only, which could lead to selfish decisions in the future and give others inconveinece.

I consider the panflute a set-piece because of how in "Don't Starve" it had a chance to appear or not, to dispose of future problems/conflict with other players, taking the panflute out and giving it a 40% chance or lower to spawn rate, which would prevent problems in pvp. I have seen many instances where someone killed another player and called it "cheating".

This is all merely my opinion, and not how it should be, just giving my 2 cents.

I consider the panflute a set-piece because of how in "Don't Starve" it had a chance to appear or not, to dispose of future problems/conflict with other players, taking the panflute out and giving it a 40% chance or lower to spawn rate, which would prevent problems in pvp. I have seen many instances where someone killed another player and called it "cheating".

Or we could have a

• 20% chance for the pan flute 
  • 30% for a mandrake
  • and 50% chance for 1 sleep dart.

Also, because some objects are set to "More" in the World gen options and not leave room for other stuff (? idk)

happened to me a lot when I set a few things to "more"...

so now I try to balance things and set some stuff to "less" when I set other things to "more"

(I sound like a retard O__O)

But it works for me :T

EDIT: I meant this for the "Pig King not spawning" issue.

@CaptainFun, The PigKing has a 100% chance to spawn, the reason he doesn't sometimes is due to a glitch where the map generates two small Pig Villages instead of one small and one large village, because of this the King doesn't have enough room to spawn in the small village. 

That is just an elaborate way of saying that the Pig King does not have a 100% chance to spawn when generating a world.

:p

those seem like great ideas now that the game is multiplayer, and being fooled by a fake base is just so much easier. I just think that some non-trapped bases could be added as well, with less resources of course, and some skeletons lying around because why not.

Summon!!
*smashes through text wall* WHO DARES SUGGEST THE OLD BELL? WHO IS THE AUTHOR OF SUCH HERES-... wait... so he just mentioned it?... well that's awkward.... I guess I'll just leave then... sorry for the text wall...

@applebottom, For me I am plagued by boredom from restarting too often! I like to invest in a world to the point that we don't just have a base, the entire map is my base. Once I can control everything that happens in the world and I have plugged all of it's resources THAT is when I feel completed! 

Obviously that can'y happen in Public servers but then in a Public server 9/10 someone burns the Reed Trap anyway and the other 1/10 they burn it because they're cold.

But on the other hand I do find it fun to just watch new players, help them a little but mainly just watch... Noobs do the darndest things.

@applebottom, For me I am plagued by boredom from restarting too often! I like to invest in a world to the point that we don't just have a base, the entire map is my base. Once I can control everything that happens in the world and I have plugged all of it's resources THAT is when I feel completed!

Good luck on that when my second mod project comes out c:< hehe

Or we could have a

• 20% chance for the pan flute 
  • 30% for a mandrake
  • and 50% chance for 1 sleep dart.

Also, because some objects are set to "More" in the World gen options and not leave room for other stuff (? idk)

happened to me a lot when I set a few things to "more"...

so now I try to balance things and set some stuff to "less" when I set other things to "more"

(I sound like a retard O__O)

But it works for me :T

EDIT: I meant this for the "Pig King not spawning" issue.

Decreasing the chance for the panflute to spawn at the glommer statue would generally lower the instances in which you get destroyed by others who use it in pvp, sure, but hot damn would you feel even more like ass when the other player got there first and lucked out.

Decreasing the chance for the panflute to spawn at the glommer statue would generally lower the instances in which you get destroyed by others who use it in pvp, sure, but hot damn would you feel even more like ass when the other player got there first and lucked out.

I'm not too keen on the whole dropping chance of pan flute. It is not the only thing that determines the outcome of a PvP fight by making the player get all sleepy. Sleepy Time Stories is something that Wickerbottoms will have as a renewable PvP conquering weapon and from a fight with Flare2V I know this for sure and the only way to stop this from happening is to kill the Wickerbottoms as soon as they spawn, though it is quite a trouble if it's wilderness mode in the server that is a PvP one.

Remove the panflute.

Either everybody gets one, or nobody does.

I'd be fine w/ this for PvP only.

In an environment designed to be working together, however, it's kinda asinine to say that nobody gets one because somebody might.  

determines the outcome of a PvP fight by making the player get all sleepy

I have beaten many players who had the flute or sleepytime stories while I did not. It's not impossible in any way, it's just very tricky to do and requires a little preparation, one single mistake in your attack strategy and you're dead.

Also the Book is far harder to battle since it has a larger range than the flute. Honestly I don't mind the sleep affect, the only change to the book or flute that I would like to see is maybe a range reduction that only affects the effective range on players. Or maybe an increase in the cost of the book, it forces a dream state so why not have it use Milk in the recipe? Wicker does describe it as warm milk in book form, this would also give more purpose to The End is Nigh as you could use it to gather Milk. (even though I'm not a fan of recipes that include perishables... damn lighter.... )

The flute isn't that bad but with the book if you can see someone you can knock 'em out. 

Don't the Abandoned Beefalo Pen trap, summer/winter trap, fit that description? Or do you mean a fully furnished (crockpot, icebox, tent... the works) base? (the spider-cave-camp-thing in the caves come to mind  too but... "caves" so not in DST yet, but still)

that.

At least now there was a feeling of uncertainty... plus the madrake can make an appearance again.

Even in the current state, getting there first ensures you the panflute so I don't know how worse it would feel like if someone else got the loot even if you just got the blowdarts or glob forbid, the mandrake.

Remove the panflute.

Either everybody gets one, or nobody does.

Or make it so that it has no effect on players in PvP as well! And for the Sleepy time stories. And for sleep darts (unless they don't already). That way there is no problem at all and no disputes between how to "balance" it in terms of chance or having it at all. That's changes for you, and most of the time I like it when there's changes in the game.

Archived