[Ghosts] Yay or nay?

1- The Telltale Heart gets more expensive to craft. Crafting it no longer hurts your HP.

2- Ghosts no longer drain your sanity. Instead, they reduce your max HP. One ghost takes away 20% of your max HP, two ghosts take away 25%, three ghosts take away 30%, four take away 35%, and five take away 40%. HP reduction caps at 40%, no matter if there are five or ten ghosts.

I think this would be better in a lot of ways -I'll explain later, I need to leave in a bit-, but I want to hear what drawbacks you think this idea has. 

No, the actual system of ghost and penalties are good, even too good, remember this is don't starve and remember how finish a world in the singleplayer, a single die and you are out,

How much expensive?

The telltale heart and the existence of ghosts go hand in hand.

If the telltale heart was very difficult to make, then there wouldn't be any ghosts.

What mode would this apply to?

Survival? Endless? Both of them?

I would make death and resurrectors work like in single player and toss ghosts to the garbage bin.

There should be a gamemode where it's like wilderness, but the portal still exists.

I actually want a gamemode where if you die, you're out of that server until it resets. Call it "Hardcore" or something, since it would be for more experienced players.

1- The Telltale Heart gets more expensive to craft. Crafting it no longer hurts your HP.

We already have this in life giving amulets and meat effigies. The entire point of the telltale heart is to make it so that you can be revived in the early game, and in order to balance the ease of crafting it needs several penalties. 

Or they could take max sanity.

Thing is, since health is the only stat that's not always varying all over the place, I think reducing max health would be the only approach that encourages reviving ghosts BUT without forcing the the other players to immediately drop whatever they are doing to revive a guy that dies over and over. A health cut is not a massive penalty, you can still play at 60% max health and you can still fight most mobs via kiting them. The way it is now, a couple dead players can screw up any session. And the way it would be if it reduced max sanity, would be the same, since sanity is affected by pretty much everything. I can live with 60% max health. With 60% max sanity, not so sure, since health is a lot more manageable than sanity.

How much expensive?

The telltale heart and the existence of ghosts go hand in hand.

If the telltale heart was very difficult to make, then there wouldn't be any ghosts.

I don't know, 6x what it is now would be a start. I don't think that the game is meant to be played by dying over and over and over again and expecting people to immediately revive you. Ghosts should be willing to wait 20 minutes or more until people finish the most important tasks at hand and can go revive them. The wat it is now, you have 3 dead players 10 minutes into the game and those 3 ghosts screw up your sanity and your game at a ridiculously fast pace. Those 3 ghosts reducing your max health is a penalty that doesn't increase over time, so you can take your time to do the most important things and then you can go revive them, because even though it's not a huge penalty, it's a still a somewhat-harsh-one and nobody likes their health capped at a low percentage.

Oh, and this is for Survival. Endless... lol... people should be able to respawn by kicking their real life dog or by eating a Dorito for all I care about this game mode.

Ghosts should be willing to wait 20 minutes

And Klei disagrees with this. That's why they made ghosts haunt and why the telltale heart exists.

So that being a ghost is a short phase, people haunt some stuff here and there, and friends pop out hearts to continue playing.

Nobody likes being a ghost and nobody likes ghosts.

They could just remove ghosts ability to screw up the crock pot, being able to burn stuff and all the other troll stuff and just leave in the good neutral stuff, also they should make it so ghosts only take away sanity when they are near you.

Reviving a ghost should never be a priority until you are somewhat settled.

That encourages alone play, and not together play, which is the main point of survival.

Reviving ghosts in survival is and should be a priority.

You can ask Klei for a new game mode like a hardcore Endless mode.

That encourages alone play, and not together play, which is the main point of survival.

Reviving ghosts in survival is and should be a priority.

As you say, right now it is a priority. But no, it shouldn't be.

10 out of 9 (no, I don't have that backwards) times I revive somebody, it's only because of the penalty that clown is inflicting on my sanity. If the panlty for having that clown lingering there wasn't so harsh, I would be able to set up a little base and take him there so that he doesn't immediately die again. That says it all. If the penalty was reduced, I would still revive him, because, yes, 2 players are supposed to do better than 1. But the days off stopping dead in my tracks to revive a guy that forgot to make a torch would be over. And one dude shouldn't be able to ruin the -in your words- survival of the larger group. 

One thing I don't like is how whenever you die on survival you either get banned, kicked, or everybody hates you suddenly for dying.

WELL GEE SORRY THAT IM THE ONLY ONE FIGHTING OFF HOUNDS WHILE YOU WASTE FOOD MAKING GOOP IN THE CROCKPOT

One thing I don't like is how whenever you die on survival you either get banned, kicked, or everybody hates you suddenly for dying.

WELL GEE SORRY THAT IM THE ONLY ONE FIGHTING OFF HOUNDS WHILE YOU WASTE FOOD MAKING GOOP IN THE CROCKPOT

That's a collateral effect of the mistake Klei made when they created this unbalanced mechanic. If they correct their wrongdoing by reducing the penalty or changing the way it works, what you are saying would stop happening.

Ghosts seem too destructive, a single one can easily wreck havoc on your base and the entire world. Griefer ghosts are unstoppable.

I'd balance it by either providing furniture or items that can keep ghosts away, or by making it so lone ghosts in a server are very weak, but get more powerful as more people become ghosts.

Ghost are fine overall. The problem with ghosts aren't ghosts, but players that use ghosts to grief (refusing to stay alive, haunting etc.). Which is ultimately problem with griefers and not ghosts.

Ghost are fine overall. The problem with ghosts aren't ghosts, but players that use ghosts to grief (refusing to stay alive, haunting etc.). Which is ultimately problem with griefers and not ghosts.

Griefers will always exist. The question is, why give them an incredibly destructive and utterly unstoppable griefing tool, and make that tool trivial to acquire?

Here's a simple idea to change haunt: make it so that only a single object can be haunted at any given time, and haunted objects become unusable for a short duration (e.g. 10 seconds). Ghost haunts chest? You can't open it. Ghost haunts crockpot? You can't cook in it. Ghost haunts alchemy engine? You can't use it. And so on.

This way, they can cause some mischief (so that people don't completely ignore them), but cannot destroy entire bases and single-handedly ruin the game for everyone.

I don't understand why you can attack and kill nonplayer ghosts and not player controlled ghosts. If pvp is enabled you ought to be able to attack ghosts, and if you deal enough damage to them they should "die" in the sense that they get teleported similar to using a telelocator staff on them (without a focus of course, and ignoring any focused in play). This way you don't have to just deal with ghosts haunting your stuff to oblivion. Just beat them up and send them across the world. Also, upon taking damage haunting is interrupted/temporarily disabled.

And finally, maybe make the sanity drain scale with proximity to the ghosts. So it isn't so bad having a ghost on the other side of the map. Or maybe give a character a sanity boost for "killing" a ghost.

And finally, maybe make the sanity drain scale with proximity to the ghosts. So it isn't so bad having a ghost on the other side of the map. Or maybe give a character a sanity boost for "killing" a ghost.
Ether make it so it's proximity or just take away the sanity drain from that one ghost if you "vanquish" it, I'd also like it if you were able to kill ghosts without pvp being on so at least you would be able to get ghost greifers away from your base I also hate it when people suggest that when you kill a player ghost they get kicked out of the game cause you know that's fair and fun for the player that gets kicked out.

Griefers will always exist. The question is, why give them an incredibly destructive and utterly unstoppable griefing tool, and make that tool trivial to acquire?

There is milion much more destructive ways to grief than ghosts, should we also remove fire spreading etc.? Don't think so :/

Never ever EEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR try to balance the game around griefers! Balance it assuming that every single player is an angel and would never dream of doing anything destructive. Then the end product will be a great game! Just leave the griefers to the Admins and to the anti-grief mods.

Let the large amount of people that only play with trusted friends go forth into the DST world unharmed by a massive change to a mechanic that only serves to stop the 1/10 players of the game who will EVENTUALLY be banned from all servers. 

Archived