Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Magictwic

Winter is Coming (how to make winter harder than summer)

Magictwic    16

Currently Summer is harder than winter. Food rots, crops burn, and you die of heat stroke in under a minute. This doesn't make very much sense. In real life animals look forward to summer as it is a season to gather supplies to fight of the cold of late fall and winter. In don't starve, I use winter as a time to prepare for summer!

I am not saying you should make the game super easy, It's difficulty is why I like it, but a difficult summer and an easy winter just doesn't make sense. I suggest that overheating shouldn't damage you, and instead just make you go insane very fast. This would give you more ways to fight the heat while still killing you if you stay exposed to it. You could also just make over heating only happen in the middle of summer but that doesn't seem as cool. Insanity is one of the beast parts of DST and I think there should be a season about fighting for it, and summer is as good a season as any. The rotting food is fair, and makes you have to explore more to find more food which is fun, but I don't think fires should be as frequent as they are, it forces you to stay at your base all summer and makes the game mundane.

Winter should be the hardest season. Because it is winter, and winter is coming. I think your first winter (if you start is fall) should stay the same as normal, but after that winter becomes longer (maybe 25 days) and you need more than just a beefalo hat to survive. (Maybe a beefalo hat and a breezy vest could be the minimum) Winter should be a time to hunker down and fight for survival, no matter what stage of the game you are in. Deerclops is great, but I think blizzards and more winter exclusive monsters would be really cool and make winter the definitive season of difficulty.

RalphKastro    1337

Are we really asking for more things for winter compared to summer? I mean, really? I know that Winter is much more easy in DST than it was in DS and I kinda miss new content, but at least it isn't as devoid of stuff as summer. In my opinion more challenging stuff for winter and more stuff in general and incentive to do something other than stay idle at substitute base  would be great. Some more specificity aside from the usual "more challenge" or "more stuff" would be nice, though. But I think summer stuff is a priority level above more winter challenge.

Winter should be the hardest season. Because it is winter, and winter is coming.
 Tell that to the people in Dorne. Or to my neighbourhood. Or to any place south of the US and europe.

Rtd    7

The point is NOT "Where do you live? Is the Winter harsh in your area?"...

The point IS "We want to have every single cell of our body freezing in Winter!"

Not just stockpile wood... :hopelessness:

RalphKastro    1337
The point IS "We want to have every single cell of our body freezing in Winter!" Not just stockpile wood...
well, there's also that "I want to do something in Summer", not just stockpile fuel for my endothermic fire and fling-o-matics.

ntsp00    8

They both have their difficulties, I think making overheating cost sanity instead of health would just serve to make summer easier than winter and nothing else. In winter you make sure to have a thermal stone and a beefalo hat. A lot of times a puffy vest as well. Then you can stay out all day doing whatever you want. I notice a lot of people don't have this same approach with summer. If all you have for summer is a cold thermal stone and some ice, really what did you expect? If anything, summer has more items to help you stay cool than winter has for warmth. A regular top hat gives you some insulation from overheating as well as an umbrella. Add a floral shirt and thermal stone and you'll be hard-pressed to overheat. 

1) Setup adequate supply of fling-o-matics

2) Stockpile fertilizer for fling-o-matics (live off of food other than berries, use berries exclusively to feed pigs for fertilizer)

3) Keep umbrella and top hat leftover from spring to use as insulation (never bother with a straw hat in spring, top hat does the same but with sanity +)

4) Make a thermal stone and keep it in the ice box overnight (each season requires about 1 1/2 thermal stones)

5) On the first couple of days of summer when the temp isn't too high farm 5 cactus flowers for a floral shirt (will last almost all summer)

Leave fling-o-matics on 24/7. 3 max should cover your entire base and resources. They put out your fire pits so at night you will have to turn off the one that's in range of them. They require 9-10 fertilizer to fill up. One full tank will last half of summer so each will require 20 fertilizer total for all summer (full when summer started, full when it ends). 

I prefer summer over winter as the days are so long you can actually accomplish things as long as you've built the appropriate amount of insulation items. And you get so much sanity + from the top hat since night's sanity - is so short. The floral shirt also gives sanity + so you will literally be sanity maxed all summer long. I play Wickerbottom 99% of the time so I probably pay attention to sanity more than others.

Edit: After reading your post again I saw you said this:

The rotting food is fair, and makes you have to explore more to find more food which is fun, but I don't think fires should be as frequent as they are, it forces you to stay at your base all summer and makes the game mundane.

If you're still exploring areas looking for food by the time summer rolls around then I'm not surprised you're having difficulty. I can imagine how difficult it would be to get fling-o-matics setup and the other stuff you need when you're still wondering around looking for berry bushes. I would suggest going back and figuring out how you can expedite getting your food production online. Whether it's bee boxes, rabbit traps, spider traps, bird traps, gobbler traps, berry bushes, eggs, farms, etc. The possibilities are endless. You really can't accomplish much until you have food production in order though. And the second part of your statement I quoted leads me to believe you aren't building fling-o-matics. Yes, if you don't have them you will be stuck at base all summer putting out fires. That's what fling-o-matics do for you and they do it automatically whether you're there or not. They even freeze nearby birds and gobblers helping you get even more food. Summer is definitely not mundane, the only other season I get more things done in is autumn.

Asparagus    9135
I suggest that overheating shouldn't damage you

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/25/asia/india-heatwave-deaths/

Based on this, yes, it shouldn't damage you, it should straight up kill you without warning O__O

(JK, but damage is fine... for me anyway...)

In real life animals look forward to summer as it is a season to gather supplies to fight of the cold of late fall and winter. In don't starve, I use winter as a time to prepare for summer!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/australian-horror-story-thousands-dying-bats-dropping-trees-amid-heatwave-1475419

Because Climate change O__O

EDIT: Commentary

Johnnyprofane    137

Regardless of which season is more difficult (definitely summer) I would LOVE to see blizzards implemented. Maybe have them happen with a slight warning, like hounds. Or have hounds sometimes be replaced by a blizzard. Have them last only a day, have them make you just absolutely freezing, where without clothing you can't survive (unless surrounded by like...3 fires) and have them put out fires super fast like heavy rain in spring. And then when they're done, boom, guaranteed deerclops spawn.

Alternatively you could have sand storms in the desert biome too. And quick sand hidden in the swamp! And avalanches or rockslides in rocky areas!

TLDR: I WANT MORE DESTRUCTIVE TERRIFYING NATURAL DISASTERS!

Asparagus    9135
(unless surrounded by like...3 fires

Because players usually start in Autumn, this would be awesomely terrible for new players O__O then:

Please make winter easier...

Alternatively you could have sand storms in the desert biome too.

*claps*

And quick sand hidden in the swamp!

Instant death? (as running would actually sink you faster and you'd need a rope... and something to tie it to. Or copy the Ewecus Phlegm immobilizing thing?)

And avalanches or rockslides in rocky areas!

from out of nowhere. (I know you're joking O__O)

TLDR: I WANT MORE DESTRUCTIVE TERRIFYING NATURAL DISASTERS!

Yeah, I think @_Q_ made a Hail thing... 

Haroldman    36

Hmmmm, I never had a problem with summer being the more difficult season in Don't starve, Don't starve always had an odd, eerie backwards feel to it. Also, Autumn is by far the easiest season, So most people want t start in Autumn as opposed to Spring, ******* rain. Perhaps the second Winter could be made more difficult than the first?

But yeah, the biggest problem with summer is its boring. Huddled round an endo fire, stabbing butterflies and picking up seeds whilst cutting trees for fuels and an icebox full of stale bacon and eggs. Bah. Not that bad for me, I always camp in desert so I usually spend summer as my dustbowl collection and cacti harvest season.

Straw hat + Frest + heat stone = Overheating meh.

Lampofulmine    310

There would be so much to say about both seasons, that we would only start an endless discussion with no winners. DST summer at the moment is the one which is the most boring because you can't do anything if not bull-sh-itting around your base and ding the same old-tale stuff. On the other hands, in Winter you at least can go out and explore a bit more/ do; you're freezing ? Its way easier to make  campfire than a endothermic pit. 

The fact that summer oblige you to stay in your base its not the only big deal; what do you do in summer if you had the chance ? Wander deserts with a hunting party to have fun with blizzards ? Get few cactuses for the floral shirt ?! I think this game really NEEDS some more content to mitigate the effect of Summer nd to do  more in Summer. After that's done, we can start thinking about Winter.

RalphKastro    1337

A wild "This should be an option" suggestion appears: Maybe there should be a harder "Default Plus" like mode in which Winter and Summer are harder. But I think that a Summer Update is a few priority lists above in the priority list.

I WANT MORE DESTRUCTIVE TERRIFYING NATURAL DISASTERS!
 are there any already in?

Asparagus    9135
are there any already in?

I guess... lightning?

Perhaps the second Winter could be made more difficult than the first?

1420818645076.jpg

(I couldn't help myself O__O)