• Fixed rare crash that occurs sometimes after a player dies
  • Fixed a crash due to the cook action being used on Birchnut Saplings

-------------------------------------------

138374 - 6/3/2015

Changes

Some changes have been made to Willow. In addition to her previous traits:

• Willow has learned to cook using her lighter
  • Willow finally found Bernie, her childhood teddy bear
  • Insanity alters Willow’s perception of the world, making the temperature feel chillier than it actually is
  • Willow is slow to burn (Immune to fire damage for the first 3 seconds)
  • Willow got better at making her lighter and now uses fewer materials

Bug Fixes
  • Correct animation plays when hitting a Sign from different angles

@Silentdarkness1, not sure if I got all of his abilities, but if you go insane and drop him on the ground, he'll start walking. Besides getting the focus of shadow creatures on himself, I'm not sure what good use he might be. He loses durability while getting hit, and you can repair him with a sewing kit. 

When he got to 0% durability I was really really expecting for him to grow into a large killer teddy bear, similar to Annie's teddy bear from League of Legends. Oh well. :grin: He'll be a nice decoration item near my tent until we get potted ferns.

This is Klei attempting to make Willow not completely useless. By basically giving us another Abigail/Wes's Balloons.

Although, the whole cooking with her lighter thing is way bigger to me than it probably should be. When I go exploring, I have to worry about making a campfire or carrying cooked food. Either way, now I can do it on the fly without wasting materials.

Willow has learned to cook using her lighter

Amazing.

Willow finally found Bernie, her childhood teddy bear

Amazing.

Insanity alters Willow’s perception of the world, making the temperature feel chillier than it actually is

A-MA-ZING.

Willow is slow to burn (Immune to fire damage for the first 3 seconds)

That's a nice way of fixing it!

Willow got better at making her lighter and now uses fewer materials

Not sure what the new recipe is yet but I found the old one easy as it was! So making it easier is awesome!

10/10 I will definitely be playing a LOT more of Willow! (Klei you should really look into insanity type buffs / debuffs for other characters, it's an interesting mechanic) 

I'm just excited she got her fire immunity back, even if it's temporary. Fire damage from items packed close together can be so deadly. Sick of those pengulls? Drop like 10 grass and they're all dead. Wanna deal with a tree guard in a hurry? Couple of twigs and he's charcoal. Plus she's got a "reverse beard" by going insane. So you know, summer is easier still, and people have been asking for her to have heat resistance since overheating became a thing.

So to sum up: willow as a character now has a few negatives, namely the lower sanity, being crazy will freeze you to death in winter, and... people use her to grief. Her low sanity is offset by her positives: her ability to easily manage her sanity with fire coupled with short fire immunity. Plus should you fail and go crazy, you can keep the shadows away long enough to restore your sanity with her bear (hopefully). She can craft super torches and has a mobile cooking fire. And her final positive is that she can resist summer's heat by going crazy.

All in all I would say she's a decent character with few negatives and quite a few positives. Much better than WX anyways. Is she the powerhouse that wickerbottom/wigfried is? No. But she's a lot easier to manage.

So... some more info on her updates. The way the "slow to burn" thing works is that normally, for all characters, you don't take damage until you've burned for one second. For Willow, this is now three seconds. This is a really nice system because it allows them to scale the fire immunity in a way that's still immunity (as opposed to reduced damage). I'd predict that she might need a bit more of a buff in this regard, maybe up to five seconds-- that would be enough to make her unique advantages mostly return (with respect to fire traps).

The temperature scaling is written like the movement speed modifiers, which means it will be really nice to use with mods. It also makes me wonder if this is a system that the watermelon/ice hats could be changed to use (I believe they are in need of a buff). Watermelon Willow new meta?

She also got a stealth buff to her sanity gain from fires, now as long as she's within 3 of a fire (tiles are 4x4), she gains the maximum sanity gain from it. So no need to literally be sitting on top of the firepit anymore, she can just be comfortably close (and probably increases the amount she can effectively gain, as it's no longer competing with firepit collision).

As for Bernie + getting cold when insane, I think the idea is that she can stay insane in summer to become mostly resistant to the temperatures, while Bernie covers her so she can be more safely insane. She gets -20 temperature when she's below 10% sanity (12 for her), and this scales across 10% to 50%. Summer temperatures go up to 105 or so, and you overheat at 70, so this gets the ambient temperature down to 85 at the height of summer, and under the overheating threshold on the ends of summer.

Some math of the summer temperatures:

• The max base temperature is 95; summer's base temperature scales sinusoidally from 55 to 95 to 55.
  • Day gives up to 5 temperature bonus, this also scales sinusoidally over the day. (night gives -6)
  • A temperature "noise" factor varies from -8 to 8.

So midday, with maximum noise, in the middle of summer, the world hits 95 + 5 + 8 for 108. We can write an equation to describe this maximum temperature over the course of summer (using a summer progress percentage):

tmax = sin(progress*pi)*(95-55) + 55 + 5 + 8

Solving this for progress, and setting tmax to 90 (the maximum temperature that Willow's coldness would be able to fully negate), we get that it occurs 18.5% from the ends of the season, so basically the first and last three days. If we assume minimum noise instead, we get 39.9%, so the first and last 6 days (leaving only the middle 3 days). With average noise, first and last 4 days.

Archived