The Gloom Beacons

Dannyrulx

For Peat's sake, why was everyone shouting?! Had everyone inexplicably lost the ability to use their indoor voices?!

Now that she thought about it, was she inside or not? There were rocks and hard ground, so probably outside, but how'd she even get in a pile of rocks in this uncomfortable position? There was a tiny shaft of light on her and everything else looked dark, so probably a cave. She didn't remember going into a cave. The last thing she remembered was being in a city so how in the heck did she get in a cave, and WHY WAS HER HEAD THROBBING SO MUCH GOOD GRIEF IT'S ANNOYING!

Mina shifted around some more, grunting as she moved rubble off of her until she could stand up, and when she did she nearly fell back down. The ground seemed to move as everything spun lazily and looked out of focus; she was dizzy.

Edward try to scream back:

"Someone is there?"

His head is still hurting.A pill of paracetamol would help,or a sleep maybe.He tries to turn his head around

"Arrghh,god f-- damn it"

He mumbles

It is like sleeping with your head turns to one side but your body is not(try to sleep like that for like 2 hours at home).

"Is there anything useful in Sir Chesterfield Wilbur,maybe a scout's guide or something like that?"

Edward asks.

Wilbur flinches at the sudden shout. Why did he need to be stuck in here with all these random noises. They were so loud...and frightening...

"There's no guide...the reason for that is because I can't read it. Even if I did have a guide, this cave doesn't feel familiar," Wilbur looks about aimlessly.

Wilbur feels around in Chester's mouth some more. He grasps something long and thin. Smirking, he takes out a wooden cane, hops down from the rubble, and beckons Edward to follow.

"Just head in the direction of the voices. If there are other people here, they may need our help. Hopefully nothing drastic has happened. Come on, Chesterfield," Wilbur says.

Chester bounds ahead, scouting a path for Wilbur. Wilbur listens for Chester's small thud sounds and follows him.

"Make sure to bring that torch with you, it won't do me any good, but at least you can see better," Wilbur says.

The light from the torch fills the area. The cave was filled with the shining of a thousand jewels. Following the voices wasn't all that difficult since they appeared to be shouts. Wilbur did have second thoughts about investigating loud noises, but if there were people, they needed to stay together.

"It's down this way," Wilbur points with his cane.

Chester comes to a halt at another pile of rocks and dirt. He bounces up the rubble and repeatedly jumps as if trying to wake up somebody. Every time Chester landed, someone would make a sound as if somethings hurting them.

What the actual F*** is happening? I was supposed to be safe and warm! I was in my tent for f***'s sake!

I slowly pace down the cave that I'm in, trying to make sense of it all. Finally I find another living thing: A strange rocky turtle creature.

"Hello, Miss. Please get up. It is not safe to be alone in these caves,"

Wilbur lightly shakes a female figure lying sideways in the rubble.  She looks like she's been there for quite some time now. Wilbur was glad to know that she still seemed okay, if not for the small bruises on her.

"Miss, please! Chesterfield, stop bouncing on her stomach like that," He snaps.

Chester jumps off the young woman, but trips and rolls off the small mountain of rocks. A loud thud is heard as Wilbur flinches from the noise. He then hurriedly turns back to the young woman and shakes her, a bit more so than normal now. Wilbur now looks slightly unnerved.

"Darn caves, get me out of here. So many noises..." He mumbles to himself.

"Hey-oof-ey stop tha-oof-at!" Something was jumping up and down on the pile of rubble. It didn't hurt, but having rocks pushed into her spine wasn't comfortable. She heard someone talk, and strangely enough she heard what they said, but it took a second for her to actually process what he said. 

"Hey, I'm fine, you can stop shaking me now." She shoves a few rocks that were on her off and pushes herself up, extending her arms a little to try to steady herself. She couldn't quite make out who it was that was shaking her; everything was a little blurry and doubled. 

"I'm fine, I think, just a little dizzy." she said in a cheerful manner. She looked fine, save for a few cuts and bruises. And a bloody spot on the side of her head. And the slight swaying as she tried to keep her balance. But beside all that she was fine.

Wilbur sighs in relief at the woman's reply. She really was okay.

"Great, I am glad. Sorry about the jumping, Chesterfield likes meeting new people," Wilbur says.

Chesterfield hears his name being called and jumps back up on the rubble. His soft panting can be heard as he jumps into Wilbur's arms, growing silent.

"I actually have a friend following me, his name is Edward. Also, Miss, you do not seem to be the only one here besides Edward and I. I have heard another voice off in that direction,"

Wilbur turns to face an opening in the cave system. The walls glitter with crystals of all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Wilbur turns back to face the young woman.

"By the way, I do not know your name at the moment. Might I ask what that may be, Miss?"

While Wilbur says that, he rests his right hand on her right shoulder. His hand glows with a deep blue light. The glow begins to cover the girl's entire body. Within moments, her wounds are completely gone. She looked as if she had never been injured.

Wilbur sighs in relief at the woman's reply. She really was okay.

"Great, I am glad. Sorry about the jumping, Chesterfield likes meeting new people," Wilbur says.

Chesterfield hears his name being called and jumps back up on the rubble. His soft panting can be heard as he jumps into Wilbur's arms, growing silent.

"I actually have a friend following me, his name is Edward. Also, Miss, you do not seem to be the only one here besides Edward and I. I have heard another voice off in that direction,"

Wilbur turns to face an opening in the cave system. The walls glitter with crystals of all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Wilbur turns back to face the young woman.

"By the way, I do not know your name at the moment. Might I ask what that may be, Miss?"

While Wilbur says that, he rests his right hand on her right shoulder. His hand glows with a deep blue light. The glow begins to cover the girl's entire body. Within moments, her wounds are completely gone. She looked as if she had never been injured.

"Hello Miss"Edward asks

"The name is Edward,as Wilber introduced,what is your name?"

As Edward starting to explore a liitle bit,the cave system seems endless.All he can see is crystals on the wall,he could pick . and sell to the collectors,....as if he can get out here...He gives Wilbur ze torch.

Some of the crystals seem like they emit lights,Edward starts to move forward it.As he walks,he sees a lot of cosumables and plus a few skeletons.But they are not human skeletons,they looks like a mutant lobsters next to their dead skeletons.There are a few rocks.Edward decides to pick it up

"It may come in handy"He thinks

And then he found a small pond of water,there are some small crabs and the water seems contaminated.

He uses his bottle of water to get the water,as full as he can get and catch some crabs,put them in the a thin paper and then wrap it up.

Sorry for the punctuations,my phone crashes when i press enter too much

Wilbur shrugs and hands the woman the torch. It really didn't do him any good besides warmth, which the blue robe he was wearing already gave him.

Just think, all these items he could be using, but can't. His disability was one thing that kept him apart from everyone else back on his home planet Fritforn. Speaking of which, he really missed that world. Even if it was tiny, it was his home. And he just left it. He didn't even say goodbye to anybody before he had disappeared. They could be worried about him, and he can't even go back home to tell his family that he was alright.

'I guess it is true what they say:You do not appreciate anything you have until it is gone'. Wilbur thought, with a frown.

"Just to let you know, I am not going anywhere unless you do, Miss. You know, for safety. The only light around here are the small shafts above us, and even so the sun is going to set soon. I do not know the dark well, but I have heard that there is something in it. The dark really does not bother me, really, I can not even perceive it," Wilbur explains, stroking his beard.

"Oh! Right, name. You can call me Mina-ah!" Wilbur could feel Mina flinch as he put her hand on her shoulder, making a small exclamation as he did. She was a bit surprised when everything suddenly looked blue, but when her vision went back to normal, it was normal normal. Everything was back into focus, she didn't feel dizzy, and the throbbing in her head stopped. Good. The throbbing was really starting to get on her nerves. She still couldn't remember how she got here though. 

To the others she looked kind of dazed for a moment as she was lost in thought, taking in the surroundings, the cute, fluffy thing Wilbur called Chesterfield, and something about the sun setting and darkness as a torch was shoved into her hand. She blinked a couple times before shrugging.

"Well ok then!"

She looked around, finger tip on her chin.

"Uh... you wouldn't know the way out, would ya? I kinda forgot how I got in here." 

"Sorry to tell you, Miss- er...Mina, but there is no way out as of yet. We are currently following another voice, that of a male. It is this way. Follow, please. And do hold on to that torch. I do not want to meet that night creature," Wilbur says.

As they walk through the trove of crystals, sounds came from every corner. Wilbur would flinch at every sudden noise that the cave made. On instinct, Chester jumped out of Wilbur's arms and scouted a path ahead. Wilbur follows the small thud sounds, a bit relaxed at hearing the familiar noise. Oh why did he have to leave his planet. It was warm, and, while small, kept him safe. Wilbur began to think about his family, his sister Maya, his brother Claus, his father Gemini, and his mother Belle. He missed them all, especially his nephew Isa. They must be worried sick. Wilbur frowned again at the thought. But now was not the time to be worrying about such things, they needed to find that last person.

"Just keep heading down this way..." Wilbur mumbled.

"And please stay close! I do not want anyone getting lost,"

Wilbur chuckles to himself before giving a thoughtful look. He strokes his beard lightly and keeps walking forward. Chester was a helpful guide when he had nobody else.

"I actually practice life magic. It was a custom for my family back in my home world Fritforn. After my father passed away I was the only existing life mage. I actually began to teach it to my nephew Isa, but I am here now...And, no, I can not make ice cream appear out of nothing. I could possibly take the materials of ice cream and rearrange them, but...you do not have them with you. So, no ice cream, so sorry," Wilbur says.

Wilbur and co. begin to arrive at another pile of rubble. There were rocks scattered across the ground, and the rubble seemed disturbed at the top. Wilbur hears footsteps approaching and angles his head toward another trove of crystals. Chester jumps into Wilbur's arms and grows silent.

"I want you two to stay close, this area is not familiar. I really would not like to experience a dirt nap,"

A figure enters the area and steps into the shadows after leaving the crystals. The figure pauses, looks around, and steps into the light coming from above. It was another person, a young male.

"All i can see is:Yada yada yada,backstory backstory...No ice cream?And you call it life magic.Life is a bunch of practical problems,and you need to solve it."Edward said

"So anyone got a pot or something?I have some small crabs and a contaiminate bottle of water,we can use it for our meal."Edward continues

Wilbur sighs and shakes his head. It was just like back on Fritforn. Nobody seemed to care.

"Life magic is all nature. It is not just living. I have no clue what made you believe that is what life magic was, but whoever said that, they are ignorant. Oh, and life is not just practical problems, you should not take life for granted. If you really think it's a bunch of problems, then I am more than happy to be your end," Wilbur finishes, and his hand glows a black aura for emphasis.

Wilbur turns back to the male standing on the edge of the clearing.

"I forgot to ask you your name. What might it be?"

Wilbur motions to make a small fire pit next to him. He takes materials out of Chester's mouth and lights the fire.

"We will be staying here for the oncoming night. You may join us if you wish,"

"I really, really do not like caves. So. Many. SOUNDS. I do hope we find a way out soon," Wilbur shakes a small bit in fright.

Wilbur flinched at every noise that the cave made. Even if it was just a rock hitting the ground Wilbur would cover his head in fright. He's been having to deal with the drawback from the magic he uses his entire life. Sure it changes you, but he didn't think it could get this serious. Wilbur sits near the fire, setting Chester down. Through the small hole in the roof of the cave system, the sun was finally starting to set and the moon could be seen from behind the clouds. Wilbur, not being able to see what was going on, finally manages to sleep a small bit.