[Mod Idea] The bad pun mod

One of the trademarks of the spy is the witty one liner. So, we should try and mod every character's dialog to be a lot punnier, and maybe even display new dialogue when taking out guards and other events, if we can manage it.

Imagine Xu saying "That was shocking" when his shock trap goes off, or Shalem saying "He got his just deserts" when shooting someone with his special rifle. Granted, my puns are not the best. But I believe that together, we can come up with better ones. Any ideas?

That should be possible, but currently only with a language pack, which means only the starting sentences could be edited since, if you edit the strings.lua, the game crashes. But Im currently researching it, so dont worry, we might be able to Mod this file too.

I was thinking that we somehow hook into the simulation system, and divert it into our own code whenever an event we're interested in pops up. Then, hopefully, we can just leverage the standard GUI popup that displays at the beginning of each level, and display whatever custom text we want.

Emmm, what happened with direct editing of srings.lua? I thought it should work great, without screwing language.packs (if you don't need that for some reason of course).

I'll try it right now then.

upd: yeah, it works, adding of new strings maybe can screw language packs, but editing of default ones shouldn't do it.

it was AkelPad now, but I never had problems with Notepad++ and WinNotepad (I can try them too to check, will it work or not). Maybe you had problems with repacking? (I use unpacked scripts folder now, but before that Total Commander were doing buiseness with changing files in pack without problems. Sorry, bad English everywhere >_<)

No, there definitely no problems with Notepad++

attachicon.gif2015-05-29_00011.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-05-29_00008.jpg

But I don't like it (it's too complicated and overwhelm me by functions)

I don't like the interface of Notepad++ either. But yeah, it'll pretty much do everything.

The text editor I use for modding stuff is a nice linux one called Kate. It's just as powerful as Notepad++ but I find it easier to use. Problem is it's tricky to install on a Windows OS and doesn't have the same level of performance it has on Linux.

post-648673-0-99376300-1432983294_thumb.

I'd recommend AkelPad for Windows: it's free with lot of customization options, many useful official plug-ins for different programming languages, localizations etc and can be used instead of notepad by default.

Lua syntax highlighting theme, code-folding, string numbers:

post-448854-0-53874900-1432986935_thumb.

I use Notepad++ mostly as support unit to search through files (I dunno is AkelPad can't do it or I just don't know how to do it)

That's a nice looking text editor. I'll have to give that one a go next time I use a Windows OS. If you really need to do a search through files thing and didn't want to use N++ then you might consider a tool like windows grep or astrogrep.

Archived