Beefalo

I have no real answer but if I had to take a guess I'd suggest that in order to prevent overload on computer resources there's probably a requirement that manure should be dropped a certain distance from other piles to prevent too many objects appearing in one place, which would slow down the game.

That's easy to explain hotflungwok.  The beefalo poop just like they do in the wild.  If there's manure on the ground too near them when the RNG says it's time to poop then they don't.  If there isn't any manure on the ground then they poop.

This is why you see huge herds of beefalo gathering every night to sleep together but don't see the poop in any greater density near those sites.  (the beefalo only poop when there's no poop nearby, so gathering together in a "pre-pooped" area means no more poop)

From an in-game perspective think of it this way, most beefalo hold their poop until the herd spreads out and then poop when they reach an area that doesn't smell like beefalo crap.  (not how I like to manage my bowels, but hey, it's a magic world, whatevs)

Oh, that's just honor.  All beefalo are devout followers of the Beefalo God, and he teaches that it is sheer cowardice to turn away from one's opponents.  By facing their opponents, and using their horns, the beefalo prove to their god that their courage is superior.  (look at the pigs and merms to see how cowardly they are, running in for a hit and then turning away from the enemy)

To use their super-colonic powers to attack an enemy would be to admit they were unworthy of their god, and no beefalo would ever do that, better to die and go to Beefhalla where you can feast on new-grown grass tufts all day and sleep all night.  (cowards go to Beefelheim, where they are reborn as spiders)

I just made an account to say I love this picture!

Oddly enough, I actually think this was drawn by a good artist. Someone might say this person can't "drawl" but if this person can't, they could with little practice. 

Notice the detail.

The frustration above the beefalo's head. He has poop on his grass I would be too. 

And look at Wes, that voyeur... I always knew! That hare looks as retarded as every other one, also with a little poo on the homestead. 

Who is that in the background? Another looky-loo? Another beefalo as well, does his grass has poop on it? Maybe I've given this too much thought...

Oh and hello Klei forums you have helped me much with my addiction, my crack, that is Don't Starve.

Archived