Reign of Giants public test: April 13th Update

I take it you have not visited the steam forums of late? Or know people in general who seems to be on the other perspective of you. The ones who basically take any bit of misgivings and turn into their own private way to spread their misinformation about the current state of the game. In my opinion I rather not have that happen.  It would be better to get in the rest of the major features in first (via this RoG beta). Instead of getting spam of "Klei you broke the game; fix now" on any of the forums.  It's annoying at best. Even when they know it's still in beta. So better safe then sorry.

As a company, focusing on the negative thing is ... sorry to say, but pretty unprofessional.

You have also no idea how many players DST loses cause of that. Plus the lag issue.

As a company, focusing on the negative thing is ... sorry to say, but pretty unprofessional.

You have also no idea how many players DST loses cause of that. Plus the lag issue.

I'm sorry, are you trying to get a reaction out of me? Since that is the second time you have quoted/commented my post. Which is a bit redundant because the argument was already settled a couple of days back. When they announced when the full integration is going to be released on the 21st.

Anyhow bug wise with the content creator branch. I did another test without any mods to see if Abigail is still broken. Sure enough it's still an issue. I know that Joe did see this yesterday, as we were live streaming. However I just wanted to re-confirm it's an issue without any mods. Not only that but it appears that even the grave rising ghosts don't do any damage either. Here a short video with the bug in action:

http://www.twitch.tv/sindexm/b/651604159

Nevertheless having fun so far.  Even though we have not had many Giant encounter so far beyond Deerclops. Or another giant that has his own home now (being vague one purpose).

Bug: I killed the dragonfly when enraged and the flapping noise would not go away.

Comment: I noticed that catcoon dens stop spawning coons when the lives run out.

Perhaps this may be something to address in the future for long term multiplayer servers?

So upon further investigation on the Content Creators RoG if you stop fighting any of the giants they just *POOF* disappear.  We were fighting a deerclops and stopped for a moment but continued chasing him after he lost agro and literally just despawned in front of us.  Also it would appear using any other world entity to even sneeze on a giant causes this as well.  Don't know if it can be prevented by re-engaging yet.

Edit: This was on the content creator branch.

I was playing with Clwnbaby on a dedicated server I put up, and we heard the deerclops while we were together in the swamp (away from base, near a reed trap), our characters announced that he was arriving, and then... nothing. We didn't hear footsteps, I didn't see him on the minimap (using Minimap HUD and a personal More Map Icons port, I see them usually). I checked the log for a printout related to it, but I guess there aren't any debug printouts at the moment, because I could only see our in-game chats.

So... the Deerclops is really elusive now. Sometimes you won't even see him before he poofs. I'm guessing that if we were closer to our base, he would've gone for that, but if there's no base he shouldn't just evaporate, right?

Edit: Similar scenario with the Dragonfly. I found him, he hit me once, I hit him once, he stayed green, pounded the ground as if doing his AOE fire attack (but no fire came out), and then he flew away. Not sure if that was intended.

Edit: Client crash with the Dragonfly fight (doesn't seem to crash the server):

[00:00:58]: [string "scripts/prefabs/lavae.lua"]:20: attempt to index local 'other' (a nil value)
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
scripts/prefabs/lavae.lua:20 in (field) ? (Lua) <19-23>
   inst = 100236 - lavae (valid:true)
   other = nil
scripts/physics.lua:9 in () ? (Lua) <4-16>
   guid1 = 100236
   guid2 = 100112
   i1 = 100236 - lavae (valid:true)
   i2 = nil

It happened once when CB and I were fighting the dragonfly, he had accidentally put me to sleep with the panflute, and it crashed when I woke up (lavae were around). It crashed again when we rejoined and CB left (as a ghost).

Haven't been following for the last few days, don't know if these have been reported or not.

- Killer Bees will appear for a fraction of a second as a ghost player nears a killer bee hive.

- Are natural ghosts all supposed to look like Wigfrid?

- Burned a Poison Birchnut. It was invisible.

post-557218-0-65045200-1429496638_thumb.
post-557218-0-74795600-1429496637_thumb.

I was playing client-side, and didn't think to ask if the Birchnut was invisible host-side. For the other two, the host was nowhere near to be able to see/not see.

EDIT: What's the Content Creator branch? Is that a like a beta of the beta?

Bug: line 20 of lavae.lua prefab.

local function OnCollide(inst, other)	if other.components.burnable then		other.components.burnable:Ignite(true, inst)	endend

when it should be:

local function OnCollide(inst, other)	if other and other.components.burnable then		other.components.burnable:Ignite(true, inst)	endend

First time back playing for a few weeks but tonight we had 4 people playing and only ran into into a couple of glitches (both pertaining to Wendy.) Unfortunately, I wasn't around the player who had the first issue so I don't have a screenshot and I don't think any of the other three grabbed one.

• Both Abigail and Wendy (while a ghost) did not have flowers on their sprites.
  • When Wendy died, Abigail's Flower disappeared and wasn't with the rest of her stuff. We went looking to doublecheck that we weren't just missing it. But it just went poof and didn't respawn. I ended up spawning another flower for the player to replace it, because it significantly weakened her ability to explore and protect herself. I have heard that sometimes this happens and it will occasionally respawn automatically at a later date. Edit: I forgot to include that I attempted using the console to find the original flower first but nothing came of it.

Hopefully none of these were already covered. I've not been keeping up with things for a few weeks.

@DarkXero, I think the better fix for this would be to not have the physics callback on clients, e.g. moving line 68 below the mastersim part.

EDIT: What's the Content Creator branch? Is that a like a beta of the beta?
Kind of, yeah. It's part of this. Currently we have access to the version of RoG that contains all the giants, and will be pushed to everyone else on the 21st.

I'm sorry, are you trying to get a reaction out of me? Since that is the second time you have quoted/commented my post. Which is a bit redundant because the argument was already settled a couple of days back. When they announced when the full integration is going to be released on the 21st.

Yes. I was, I'm so sorry to hear that's the argument to not go all in.

I'm just saying it from the players view, and how DST would keep thier current players.

Anyhow. Is it only me who noticed you cant attack birchnutter??

We encountered a bunch of weird things in our game. We went through the entirety of the winter season, but the ground never got covered in snow (trees had snow, but ground was snow-free all winter long). Birchnut trees regrew their leaves mid winter as well, seemed somewhat out of place. We also weren't able to attack birchnutters, but that was reported before as well.

Also, we fought and killed a deerclops... it was incredibly easy though, far easier than I recall it being in previous versions. Was he changed at all? Also he didn't seem to be able to freeze us, even though we pretty much straight tanked it.

Should it meant that beefo dont have long time aggro?
Cause if you hit and run, and keep doing that for a while, they will stop at thier "radius".

Then you can actually hit, dodge, run half screen and repeat.

Makes you killing beefo even theres plenty around the one you're hitting, cause their aggro cancels so fast.

Not sure if this should go here... 

Feedback from observing the twitch plays mod -

I've only been watching clwnbaby use the twitch plays mod (RoG). Most of the time, it's not very game-changing or exciting. 

One recent Goose-Moose fight was pretty epic though. Chat was able to vote in butterfingers/big/small/frog rain all in one fight. It made the fight a lot more intense and fun than if he was just bashing away at it like normal. Good stuff.

Suggestions and other comments:

*As suggested on the stream, butterfingers should force the wielded item to drop. 

*More options is always good - maybe a weekly random rotation or streamer-selected.

*Frog rain and nightmare are great. Both could go either way (good/bad) for the streamer, which makes these options a 2in1 sorta.

As of today (April 20th, when I updated my game at around six in the evening Pacific Time) all food put into the crock pot comes out rotten, and if you log out of a server, meat left to hang and dry turns to rot. Though, I think that was already mentioned. Also, all my raised ghosts seem to be Wigfrid. That isn't necessarily bad, just odd and amusing.

Finally, I came across an Icebox trap and opened the chest, took the winter gear out and all that, but winter did not start. (The season was early fall at the time.) SO yeah, there are my experiences.

This is a mod I made crashing, but it seems inconsistent in when it crashes. The crash is when examining a mole digging. Sometimes she says generic description of it, sometimes it crashes.

[00:02:21]: Console_CreateRoom: roomName RedMattis's World created for id 109775242011523442[00:02:21]: Succesfully removed server listing[00:02:25]: Received request to spawn as seras from RedMattis[Host][00:02:26]: [Fixed] SPAWNING PLAYER AT: (350.00, 0.00, 66.00)	[00:02:26]: Serializing user session to session/0FE00002DC1EFFEE/KU_rcx2C0hm_/0000000002[00:02:26]: Loading minimap from session/0FE00002DC1EFFEE/KU_rcx2C0hm_/minimap[00:02:26]: Clearing minimap[00:07:16]: [string "scripts/stringutil.lua"]:5: attempt to index local 'ret' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:scripts/stringutil.lua:5 in () ? (Lua) <1-13>   topic_tab = table: 15AFD500   modifier = table: 2ECBE838   ret = nil   i = 2   v = UNDERGROUND=(tail call):-1 in ()  (tail) <-1--1>scripts/stringutil.lua:146 in () ? (Lua) <123-149>   inst = seras   stringtype = DESCRIBE   modifier = table: 2ECBE838   character = SERAS   specialcharacter = SERAS=(tail call):-1 in ()  (tail) <-1--1>scripts/components/inspectable.lua:61 in (method) GetDescription (Lua) <53-84>   self =      descriptionfn = function - scripts/fx.lua:280      inst = 111406 -  (valid:true)      nameoverride = Raised Dirt   viewer = 109642 - seras (valid:true)   desc = nilscripts/actions.lua:282 in (field) fn (Lua) <279-294>   act = Examine 111406 -  (valid:true)   targ = 111406 -  (valid:true)scripts/bufferedaction.lua:22 in (method) Do (Lua) <19-35>   self (valid:true) =      options = table: 479BA308      action = table: 15E41C38      doer = 109642 - seras (valid:true)      onfail = table: 479B8DA0      doerownsobject = false      target = 111406 -  (valid:true)      onsuccess = table: 479BA128scripts/entityscript.lua:1165 in (method) PushBufferedAction (Lua) <1131-1178>   self (valid:true) =      DynamicShadow = DynamicShadow (18A7E750)      inlimbo = false      GetMoistureRateScale = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:97      SetCameraDistance = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1043      ScreenFlash = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1097      player_classified = 109643 - player_classified (valid:true)      playercolour = table: 18CC6DD0      AnimState = AnimState (18A7DF50)      Light = Light (18DCEEC8)      OnRemoveEntity = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:538      pendingtasks = table: 0D7070F0      ShowHUD = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1037      sg = sg="wilson", state="idle", time=0.30, tags = "idle,canrotate,"      IsHUDVisible = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1027      ApplyScale = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1112      SetGhostMode = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:454      CanExamine = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:20      HUD = HUD      OnWakeUp = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:960      Transform = Transform (18A7DF30)      actionreplica = table: 0D7068A8      event_listening = table: 18762068      actioncomponents = table: 0D705F70      GetMaxMoisture = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:87      prefab = seras      updatecomponents = table: 44384198      ShakeCamera = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1057      OnDespawn = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:978      persists = false      MiniMapEntity = MiniMapEntity (18A7E790)      event_listeners = table: 18768BC0      OnSetSkin = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1005      replica = table: 0D706178      GetTemperature = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:47      GUID = 109642      ghostenabled = true      EnableMovementPrediction = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:415      worldstatewatching = table: 4438CC08      Network = Network (18A7E7D0)      userid = KU_rcx2C0hm      OnPreLoad = function - ../mods/Seras/scripts/prefabs/seras.lua:473      LightWatcher = LightWatcher (18A7E770)      inherentactions = table: 4524DA98      spawntime = 15.500000808388      SnapCamera = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1049      IsWet = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:107      ScreenFade = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1090      strength = normal      entity = Entity (45995B00)      name = RedMattis      children = table: 45B7F318      OnSleepIn = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:932      experience = 0      AttachClassified = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:527      IsOverheating = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:67      IsActionsVi[00:07:16]: SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen	[00:07:17]: QueryServerComplete no callback[00:07:18]: QueryServerComplete no callback[00:07:29]: Force aborting...

This is a mod I made crashing, but it seems inconsistent in when it crashes. The crash is when examining a mole digging. Sometimes she says generic description of it, sometimes it crashes.

[00:02:21]: Console_CreateRoom: roomName RedMattis's World created for id 109775242011523442[00:02:21]: Succesfully removed server listing[00:02:25]: Received request to spawn as seras from RedMattis[Host][00:02:26]: [Fixed] SPAWNING PLAYER AT: (350.00, 0.00, 66.00)	[00:02:26]: Serializing user session to session/0FE00002DC1EFFEE/KU_rcx2C0hm_/0000000002[00:02:26]: Loading minimap from session/0FE00002DC1EFFEE/KU_rcx2C0hm_/minimap[00:02:26]: Clearing minimap[00:07:16]: [string "scripts/stringutil.lua"]:5: attempt to index local 'ret' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:scripts/stringutil.lua:5 in () ? (Lua) <1-13>   topic_tab = table: 15AFD500   modifier = table: 2ECBE838   ret = nil   i = 2   v = UNDERGROUND=(tail call):-1 in ()  (tail) <-1--1>scripts/stringutil.lua:146 in () ? (Lua) <123-149>   inst = seras   stringtype = DESCRIBE   modifier = table: 2ECBE838   character = SERAS   specialcharacter = SERAS=(tail call):-1 in ()  (tail) <-1--1>scripts/components/inspectable.lua:61 in (method) GetDescription (Lua) <53-84>   self =      descriptionfn = function - scripts/fx.lua:280      inst = 111406 -  (valid:true)      nameoverride = Raised Dirt   viewer = 109642 - seras (valid:true)   desc = nilscripts/actions.lua:282 in (field) fn (Lua) <279-294>   act = Examine 111406 -  (valid:true)   targ = 111406 -  (valid:true)scripts/bufferedaction.lua:22 in (method) Do (Lua) <19-35>   self (valid:true) =      options = table: 479BA308      action = table: 15E41C38      doer = 109642 - seras (valid:true)      onfail = table: 479B8DA0      doerownsobject = false      target = 111406 -  (valid:true)      onsuccess = table: 479BA128scripts/entityscript.lua:1165 in (method) PushBufferedAction (Lua) <1131-1178>   self (valid:true) =      DynamicShadow = DynamicShadow (18A7E750)      inlimbo = false      GetMoistureRateScale = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:97      SetCameraDistance = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1043      ScreenFlash = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1097      player_classified = 109643 - player_classified (valid:true)      playercolour = table: 18CC6DD0      AnimState = AnimState (18A7DF50)      Light = Light (18DCEEC8)      OnRemoveEntity = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:538      pendingtasks = table: 0D7070F0      ShowHUD = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1037      sg = sg="wilson", state="idle", time=0.30, tags = "idle,canrotate,"      IsHUDVisible = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1027      ApplyScale = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1112      SetGhostMode = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:454      CanExamine = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:20      HUD = HUD      OnWakeUp = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:960      Transform = Transform (18A7DF30)      actionreplica = table: 0D7068A8      event_listening = table: 18762068      actioncomponents = table: 0D705F70      GetMaxMoisture = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:87      prefab = seras      updatecomponents = table: 44384198      ShakeCamera = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1057      OnDespawn = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:978      persists = false      MiniMapEntity = MiniMapEntity (18A7E790)      event_listeners = table: 18768BC0      OnSetSkin = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1005      replica = table: 0D706178      GetTemperature = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:47      GUID = 109642      ghostenabled = true      EnableMovementPrediction = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:415      worldstatewatching = table: 4438CC08      Network = Network (18A7E7D0)      userid = KU_rcx2C0hm      OnPreLoad = function - ../mods/Seras/scripts/prefabs/seras.lua:473      LightWatcher = LightWatcher (18A7E770)      inherentactions = table: 4524DA98      spawntime = 15.500000808388      SnapCamera = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1049      IsWet = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:107      ScreenFade = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1090      strength = normal      entity = Entity (45995B00)      name = RedMattis      children = table: 45B7F318      OnSleepIn = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:932      experience = 0      AttachClassified = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:527      IsOverheating = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:67      IsActionsVi[00:07:16]: SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen	[00:07:17]: QueryServerComplete no callback[00:07:18]: QueryServerComplete no callback[00:07:29]: Force aborting...

I don't know if you had this answered but you just need to update her speech file. If you check wilsons speech file in the game files you can see they added MOLE and DECIDUOUSTREE in there. (Theres probably more but these were the two things that would always crash my game).

All you need to do is take the MOLE and DECIDUOUSTREE text speech and transfer it into your characters speech.

Hi there, @PeterA

I've came here to ask, if you already have enough time to spend on this stuff.

It is still exists and in my opinion it is pretty important to be fixed sooner.

You've mentioned, that you "will check it when you get a chance to look at the mod api with regard to character gender again".

So have you looked into this yet?

I believe there is not really much to be done, even more so Maris gave you some tips on how it could be fixed.

I'm sorry for my impudence, I don't want you think I'm an importunate person, but I want you to fix this so much, and I just can't restraint :-)

• Developer

Hey @Some1, I haven't touched the gender changes that Maris was requesting just yet. I've been busy with some other tasks recently, but I'm back to mod system bug fixing for a few days, so I will hopefully be able to get these changes in soon. I'll let you know when I get it implemented!

@PeterA, can you look into the problem about how game handles text input on mac os?

People complain, that they unable to type Russian symbols on Unix-based systems, and I believe, this is something on the side of C code rather than lua.
They say, that they see nothing, while they input something. I'm not sure, is it because of unicode input, which is handled wrong way?
Windows inputs text as ansi 8-bits_per_symbol data, but I actually know nothing about how the things are in Unix.

On Windows even without localization I can enter some text in russian, and it will be visible as symbols in range 192-255 in accordance to the 1251 codepage, which basically are diactritics by default font appearance.

Archived