Reign of Giants public test: April 13th Update

For some feedback:

I'm on your side! I find those whiners on Steam annoying too. I like to think it's just a few who don't 'get' beta/early access (along with the whiners who don't get that DST won't be instant full game free for DS owners by waving of a magic wand). A few noisy ones. Don't let them dishearten you. Think of all the silent ones who are not complaining because they are simply enjoying the game as it is!

You've listenened to those yelling for keys and giving people a way to buy into the Beta (which I think is a nice move), but some [insert favorite swearword] complain about that now. There'll always be someone complaining. My grandmother had this (German) saying: (translated) "(Having) every human pleased, is an art that no one masters." (Couldn't find a way to make it rhyme at the same time as making sense. "Jedem Menschen Recht getan, ist eine Kunst die niemand kann.")

I see you put all this work into the game. You talk with people, accept feedback and suggestions. You give them puzzles, support modders. In my never humble opinion, you're doing a great job!

Concerning Chester. That he's targeted by mobs is more worrying for me (and a friend I'm playing with most) because sooner or later he's destroyed, we don't even dare taking him on trips because of that. We'd rather have no mobs targeting him. My suggestion: Can you make it an option among the world settings to have Chester be targeted or not?

THIS! Your first part is SO important. I give all my support for Klei and how they also support modders, suggestions etc etc.

But for me, I rather want a full game, since it is beta. There is a reason the game is called beta. It's to find so many bug as possible before game release. Believe me, when they release and 2000 players joins the RoG, I bet my own ass there will be threads about bugs.

About chester.. Really?

Im not afriad of losing him. You can either run and he will follow, or maybe die. Remember his despawn is only 1 day. So I usually go around and loot for one day and come pick my stuff up.

The only moment I am afriad of losing him, its when he's nightmare or ice chester. Otherwise I can't see why he is SOO important. He is my tank most of the time.

You can even let the bosses , spider queen, deerclops chase chester. Which make it so easy to let the bosses follows you into the traps.

Another soluton could be, simple just make the despawn higher.

Like if chester dies, he will respawn 2-3 days instead of 1. 1 day is too fast. He spawns faster than most of the mobs.

Maybe make him squisher. Chester should be supposed to be your 3rd backpack. Not your tank. :-)

EDIT:

By making the bosses follows cheter, means you are totally out of danger..

So what is this game about, surviving or let your chester survive?

He regenerates health extremely quickly (fully recovery in 20 seconds, so 22.5 health/s), has 450 health, and respawns a couple of days after dying. So don't worry about taking him on trips, worry about the stuff he's carrying that he might drop if he dies :razz:

Health regen period is 22.5 every 3 seconds, but you are pretty much right!

CHESTER_HEALTH_REGEN_PERIOD = 3
tuning.lua, line 585

You can even let the bosses , spider queen, deerclops chase chester. Which make it so easy to let the bosses follows you into the traps.

Another soluton could be, simple just make the despawn higher.

Like if chester dies, he will respawn 2-3 days instead of 1. 1 day is too fast. He spawns faster than most of the mobs.

Maybe make him squisher. Chester should be supposed to be your 3rd backpack. Not your tank. :-)

My point is that I -don't- want him to be my tank, I don't want him targeted by monsters, I don't want him damaged. With Chester getting destroyed, there's no point in taking him along to carry my stuff.

Spider Queen following Chester only gets in the way of what a friend and I want to do, so we leave him at home for those trips too.

And increasing the spawn only makes it worse. That way, it takes even longer for him to return even when he's just sitting in the base, after hounds went to him instead of us and the traps.

I want Chester to survive and carry extra loot.

Thus, an option to not have him targeted by monsters would be great. : )

My point is that I -don't- want him to be my tank, I don't want him targeted by monsters, I don't want him damaged. With Chester getting destroyed, there's no point in taking him along to carry my stuff.

Spider Queen following Chester only gets in the way of what a friend and I want to do, so we leave him at home for those trips too.

And increasing the spawn only makes it worse. That way, it takes even longer for him to return even when he's just sitting in the base, after hounds went to him instead of us and the traps.

The whole point is the risk vs reward.

You get 12 more slots w/ which to fill up, but you have to be a little more careful w/ what you're doing or be prepared to run / defend.

Turning off mob aggro toward chester is basically just asking Klei to let you have 2 backpacks at all times w/out any drawbacks.

If you don't want to risk anything, why should you be rewarded w/ such awesome utility in a game where things of this nature are extremely hard to come by.

For comparison, you have a 2% chance to get 6 more slots from killing Krampus or you can have more slots w/ a speed penalty from making a piggyback.  Otherwise, you are stuck w/ the 8 slots and no chest armor from a backpack.

But instead, you want TWELVE slots.  While wearing armor.  For free.

...does not compute.

The whole point is the risk vs reward.

[...]

But instead, you want TWELVE slots.  While wearing armor.  For free.

...does not compute.

I think we see things a bit too different to meet anywhere. I play for fun, I don't do challenge. Risk? Nah. It's just no fun for me to have the stuff spread out on the ground again/not being able to take it home NAO. : )

I'm already using mods to increase inventory and have both backpack and armour, and am carrying a magic pouch. I never have enough space, even when the RPG HUD mod still worked on singleplayer DS, with 45 slots.

I'm a packrat. I swept the dungeons in Nethack and Crawl clean, and dragged everything except the (kitchen) sink back to my stash. (You can't move the sink, unfortunately. ;P )

And I'm just asking for an option, not something that affects everyone. "Your world, your rules." Other people aren't affected by how I like to play the game, except those playing with me.

On the other hand, I like dodging the Clockwork Knights that we set to 'more' (for the gears), died a lot to the Mac Tusks we also set to 'more' (friend said he didn't like we only got 1 house with him on one world, definitely wanted more) until we put up some walls around the nearby ones, and I just respawn as a different character on our Wilderness mode world. (Then die trying to find my stuff.)

We like planting Killer Bee Hives (a mod) and Merm Houses (a mod) among the spider nests we planted nearby and just run around, dodging, gathering Stingers to make traps (a mod) to lure the hounds onto.

Not taking Chester along so he isn't smashed takes his purpose away. That's a bit sad. I guess I should see if there's a mod that has him not targeted.

Well, with all the mods mentioned I feel I need to say: Great big thanks to Klei for making it possible to play the game in so many different ways with custom settings and mods. You got it right! You let people have fun in the way they enjoy most. : )

I think we see things a bit too different to meet anywhere. I play for fun, I don't do challenge. Risk? Nah. It's just no fun for me to have the stuff spread out on the ground again/not being able to take it home NAO. : )

I'm already using mods to increase inventory and have both backpack and armour, and am carrying a magic pouch. I never have enough space, even when the RPG HUD mod still worked on singleplayer DS, with 45 slots.

I'm a packrat. I swept the dungeons in Nethack and Crawl clean, and dragged everything except the (kitchen) sink back to my stash. (You can't move the sink, unfortunately. ;P )

And I'm just asking for an option, not something that affects everyone. "Your world, your rules." Other people aren't affected by how I like to play the game, except those playing with me.

On the other hand, I like dodging the Clockwork Knights that we set to 'more' (for the gears), died a lot to the Mac Tusks we also set to 'more' (friend said he didn't like we only got 1 house with him on one world, definitely wanted more) until we put up some walls around the nearby ones, and I just respawn as a different character on our Wilderness mode world. (Then die trying to find my stuff.)

We like planting Killer Bee Hives (a mod) and Merm Houses (a mod) among the spider nests we planted nearby and just run around, dodging, gathering Stingers to make traps (a mod) to lure the hounds onto.

Not taking Chester along so he isn't smashed takes his purpose away. That's a bit sad. I guess I should see if there's a mod that has him not targeted.

Well, with all the mods mentioned I feel I need to say: Great big thanks to Klei for making it possible to play the game in so many different ways with custom settings and mods. You got it right! You let people have fun in the way they enjoy most. : )

Well, if you are so savvy on using mods, this sounds like something much better placed in a mod than the actual game.

The actual game is all about risk vs reward.  This is reflected in almost everything, right down to every character aside from Wilson.

@Mickmane, put this in a modmain:

AddPrefabPostInit("chester", function(inst)	inst:RemoveComponent("combat")end)

@francois85, tooth traps disappear when their durability reaches 0 (after 10 uses).

They don't decay over time.

MMmm not sure if i can check the health of my toothtrap but it has kill many many MMMMAAAANNNNY thing and it day 170 +

Lol.

That's the problem. 

Remember he spawn only one day after, so because he dies and your items drops, it's not worse than waiting one day and you have everything again oO 

EDIT:

Maybe we should play together, to show you what I mean.

You need to understand this first: I don't risk chester when he is full.

But if there's only 3-4 items, and you meet a deerclops, you won't even take dmg from deerclops bc. he is focusing Chester. With Chesters HP regen, he wouldnt even die to Deerclops if u run well. 

Hi,

i don't know if that's fixed with last update, but i have still crash on my server dedicated with

"8: Player moisture out of range: -nan"

string "scripts/prefabs/player_classified.lua"]:8: Player moisture out of range: -nan
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
=[C]:-1 in (global) assert © <-1--1>
scripts/prefabs/player_classified.lua:8 in (method) SetValue (Lua) <7-10>
   inst = 199443 - player_classified (valid:true)
   name = moisture
   value = -nan
scripts/components/moisture.lua:11 in (field) ? (Lua) <9-13>
   self =
      optimalDryingTemp = 50
      maxDryingRate = 0.1
      forceddry = false
      minMoistureRate = 0
      rate = -nan
      baseDryingRate = 0
      maxPlayerTempDrying = 5
      maxMoistureRate = 0.75
      inst = 199442 - wx78 (valid:true)
      minDryingRate = 0
      minPlayerTempDrying = 0
      _ = table: 0x10b90ec8
      numSegs = 5
   moisture = -nan
scripts/class.lua:30 in () ? (Lua) <23-32>
   t = table: 0x16d17e58
   k = moisture
   v = -nan
   p = table: 0x16158af0
   old = 0
scripts/components/moisture.lua:109 in (method) DoDelta (Lua) <102-115>
   self =
      optimalDryingTemp = 50
      maxDryingRate = 0.1
      forceddry = false
      minMoistureRate = 0
      rate = -nan
      baseDryingRate = 0
      maxPlayerTempDrying = 5
      maxMoistureRate = 0.75
      minDryingRate = 0
      minPlayerTempDrying = 0
      numSegs = 5
   num = -nan
   oldLevel = 0
   oldSegs = 0
scripts/components/moisture.lua:236 in (method) OnUpdate (Lua) <215-237>
   self =
      optimalDryingTemp = 50
      maxDryingRate = 0.1
      forceddry = false
      minMoistureRate = 0
      rate = -nan
      baseDryingRate = 0
      maxPlayerTempDrying = 5
      maxMoistureRate = 0.75
      minDryingRate = 0
      minPlayerTempDrying = 0
      numSegs = 5
   dt = 0.033333335071802
   moisturerate = 0
   dryingrate = -nan
   equippedmoisturerate = 0
scripts/update.lua:183 in () ? (Lua) <146-219>
   dt = 0.033333335071802
   tick = 794870
   k = 199442
   v = 199442 - wx78 (valid:true)
   cmp = table: 0x16d17e58

SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen    
QueryServerComplete no callback

In Content Creators RoG:

-deerclops despawns if not engaged immediatetly

-no mushtrees on full moon

-no evil flowers on full moon

Completly aggree with that. Especially the deerclops-right-into-base-teleporting. After his doing he just disappears! No chance to prepare and on plublic server never have got the warning breathing sound. Even dogs are warning us before they engage.

-deerclops despawns if not engaged immediatetly

Yes, this happened to me too.

1) Deerclops warning sound.

2) Deerclops appears and target structures near me.

3) I hit Deerclops.

4) He chases me.

5) Something else hits Deerclops.

6) He kills new target.

7) Deerclops wanders looking for new structures. I run away.

8) Entity sleeps, Deerclops vanishes.

Why not take the bearger approach on the deerclops? :-)

on content creators RoG

-shut down server when we returned all our meat on drying racks turned to rot

Hey,

It's perlendk, who watched your steam the other way.

Didn't you say there was something wrong with Dragonfly as well?

Archived