Reign of Giants public test: April 2nd Update

• Developer

April 2nd Update - 132481

More performance improvements and bug fixes.  And in case you are wondering, we're currently working really hard on multiplayer adaptation of the Giants, and hope to have them ready soon!

Here's what we fixed in today's update:

• Moisture indicator displays properly for hosts and clients now
  • Improved consistency of arrows displayed for clients on the sanity indicator 
  • Increased Deerclops's attack cooldown
  • Added animations for Ice Flingomatic emergency mode
  • Player spawn light now provides a world temperature safe zone rather than a stackable heat source

Original Post:

Hi everybody! As you know we've been hard at work on integrating Reign of Giants into Don't Starve Together, and we're just about ready to launch it! The main challenge at this point is that RoG is a whole lotta game and we need your help testing it to make sure we didn't break things as we converted it over to multiplayer.

It's not quite ready for prime-time yet, but if you want to hop in to our testing branch, we'd really appreciate letting us know if anything is crashing, broken, or missing.

Instructions for getting the RoG test version:
  • You must already own Don't Starve Together. (Reign of Giants not required.)
  • The game must not be running.
  • In your Steam client right click on Don’t Starve Together Beta and select “Properties”
  • Select the “Betas” tab
  • Enter the code “rogtogetherbeta” in the text box and press the “Check Code” button. You should see a confirmation message that the RoG_Together_Beta is now available.
  • In the drop-down under menu select to opt into RoG_Together_Beta. You should see a message that you have successfully opted into the RoG_Together_Beta. Press “Close”.

post-202401-0-18353700-1426617529_thumb.
post-202401-0-23299900-1426617532_thumb.
post-202401-0-81487300-1426617534_thumb.

WARNING!
This uses the same save slots as the normal game but the saves aren't compatible. Make sure you create a new save file for your RoG test as the save files won't transfer back to the normal game.
WARNING!

Please keep all bug reports and related conversation in this thread so that all the feedback related to this special testing branch is in one place. Thank you!

Current known issues:
  • Bearger, Dragonfly, and Goosemoose (Moosegoose?) are still missing, they'll show up sometime soon though!
  • Moggles are missing due to technical challenges with night vision.

Major changes from single-player Reign of Giants to be aware of:

• Fire spreading has been rebuilt to be slower/preventable but still threatening.
  • Deerclops shows up all winter long to harass everyone's bases.
  • Heat stones have been reworked to more clearly display if they'll help you or not. The graphics change to show if the stone is warmer or colder than the current ambient temperature.
  • Updated smallbird lifecycle so they can grow up in the wild.
  • Crafting menu has been altered to be more dynamic, so scroll arrows only show when needed. Mouse wheel also works on it!
  • Full moon has been retuned to 1 night every 22 days, starting on the 11th day.
  • Flingomatic "off" modes has been turned into "emergency" mode.
  • The Old Bell and Bigfood are absent from multiplayer due to their extreme destructive potential.
  • There are also many small changes and fixes, but keep your eyes peeled for anything weird!
  • We will be continuing to address balance and tuning issues for multiplayer, so your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks for your help, everyone! We're excited to get RoG out to you!

Don't forget to post your feedback in this thread. The test branch is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Dedicated server instructions:

If you are running your server through the steam interface: Simply go through the above process with the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in the tools list to join the rog_together_beta branch and launch the server.

If you are running from the command line using steamcmd:
Launch steamcmd and run:

app_update 343050 -beta rog_together_beta -betapassword rogtogetherbeta validate 

Further information can be found at: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD
Thanks @Kzisor!

• Developer

(Copying this over from the previous update thread)

Sorry for a late reply (I've literally barely been online this week), but someone mentioned, in the last thread, about our farms facing the wrong direction that our perspectives just might be skewed. The thread is of course locked and I can't reply there.   It's definitely not our perspective, that we can change with q and e. Because we both had our maps and perspectives oriented the same way but our farms were facing different directions on the screen. We also tried shifting to see if this would fix it and someone else confirmed that their clients had this issue as well.

@V2C, So the deerclops' range is currently specified in his prefab, and is mismatched with the tuning value. Shouldn't the range in tuning be changed to 8, and his prefab be using that? Really happy to see his attack period increased though, I'll be attempting to fight him again soon :grin:

Edit: Also I know this isn't a priority, but Wigfrid and Webber don't have lines for the most esteemed Lady Gnome.

So we can spawn in giants now without crashing the game for our players! YAY! It's really coming along. Thank you so much!

Please, make it so the Ancient Guardian is networked in. He's only invisible. He can still interact with players who can't see him and it doesn't crash.

So we can spawn in giants now without crashing the game for our players! YAY! It's really coming along. Thank you so much!

Please, make it so the Ancient Guardian is networked in. He's only invisible. He can still interact with players who can't see him and it doesn't crash.

The Giants don't crash the host's players until they aggro on a player. We all watched with joy as a Bearger and Goose attacked each other, but they all crashed when the bearger won and came after us.

I doubt that will be done until they actually starts to work on Caves, since they won't take in bugs report from unimplemented items.

Also, I'll just repeat what I posted in the previous post:

*Chester don't change into Shadow or Ice at Full Moon.

*Sometimes multiple krampus immediately vanish into the bag after the first one was killed, despite the area still having a lot of possible items that can be stolen.

*Pigs automatically respawn if a fire was set at the house that has no more pigs living inside.

There is another error, but I can't seemed to point my finger into it. It happens whenever I leave the savannah biome into a grass biome, and the screen immediately fades to black. I had to relog twice before I can go again. Only seemed to affect several types of generation since I can't repeat the same error on most of the biome. It mostly happens at morning and/or dusk.

post-553580-0-27575000-1428022126_thumb.

(Copying this over from the previous update thread)

I can confirm this.

Farm alignment is off for clients:

Host (my friend): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415582470

Client (I): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415582487

More oddities.

Withered Farm becomes unusable.

We (accidentally) let planted seeds on some farms wither in summer (Melons and Potatoes).

We picked some, but left three as they were, then waited to Autumn and hoped for them to become usable again.

I fertilized them with several Manure and Rot.

They remain unusable.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418502440

Ice Box warms Thermal Stone!?

At first the Thermal Stone just did not cool inside the Ice Box (near and Endothermic Fire works fine), at some point the Thermal Stone actually became yellow after some time in the Ice Box. My friend tried to use it and overheated, so I guess it's not just some graphic glitch?

Taking it out it may or may not change colour to blue or white.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418501383

Beefalo won't stay in new area after following the Horn Blow.

We decided to use up our surplus of Beefalo Horns to relocate all Beefalo into one Savanna.

Me getting too far ahead, they already turned round again and walked back (not sure whether that's normal).

Keeping at least the leading ones on screen and waiting, my group followed me all the way to the Savanna (with an additional blow after a night's rest), but as soon as they had caught up, they turned round and walked back. (Prompting the amusing screenshot situation: Host's Beefalos were following him south, mine were already on the way back north.)

My friend's Beefalo turned back once they had caught up too.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418501923

Request (unrelated to the above):

One solution to having too much stuff around would be if Catcoons would accept everything that can't be planted or used as fuel (beyond the things it already accepts), like Goat Horns, for example.

(I would have put in images for the unaligned farms and the Thermal Stone, but it said I'm not allowed to do that when I hit post.)

We are playing Wilderness Mode. What other info about our settings/game would be helpful when listing the above and similar things?

As always, thanks for all the work you put into the game! We're really enjoying it. : )

@Mickmane, thermal stones in icebox still graphically shown as hot may be intentional. It's one of the few things they changed, written as follows:

• Heat stones have been reworked to more clearly display if they'll help you or not. The graphics change to show if the stone is warmer or colder than the current ambient temperature. 

In your case, the ambient temperature is only slightly hotter than the thermal stone inside the icebox. Unless I've completely misunderstood what Klei has stated.

@rezecib, Thanks! Will forward that to the giants crew.

@IntensuwweSoois, multiplayer RoG will be included with DST, and does not need to be obtained as a separate DLC like normal DS.

Well, I love current Deerclops attack range because it forces me to struggle without hit-and-run pattern. Bosses should be difficult to be beaten.

@Mickmane, thermal stones in icebox still graphically shown as hot may be intentional. It's one of the few things they changed, written as follows:

In your case, the ambient temperature is only slightly hotter than the thermal stone inside the icebox. Unless I've completely misunderstood what Klei has stated.

It was not just the graphic. The Thermal Stone did not help against overheating even after leaving it a night in the Ice Box.

That it stayed white and sometimes showed as yellow may have been the display, but it also changed colour by moving it. And, as mentioned, did not cool.

Just keeping it in the inventory next to Endothermic Fire, on the other hand, it behaved as usual; went blue-er and cooled.

Why no fix on the farms yet??
I would say farm fix is better than those two:

• Increased Deerclops's attack cooldown
  • Added animations for Ice Flingomatic emergency mode

What's the ETA on the farm fix?
On the other Giants? Is there somewhere I can read up what's your planning ?

• Developer

Sorry about that guys.  I'll take over the farm bugs first thing on Monday.

Also, giants are planned for internal testing starting mid next week.  Any official announcements and dates will most likely follow depending on how that goes.

Beefalo won't stay in new area after following the Horn Blow.

Since I know, It's not possible to change the beef location, right?

Finally. Something to look forward to!

That means also more challenge, as I made a new thread about that in the  Suggestions and Feedback.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52594-more-challenge-on-the-game-how-further-you-get/

Anyhow, I think many have mention about the new fire spread, that it's eaisly to fire a whole forest with one torch. Also easy to survive winter without any gears.

I could hit the deerclops five times before having to run to avoid his attack, is it intended ? Also I still can't catch fireflies consistently, but I discovered today that it works fine on a server I host, but never elsewhere.

Just a quick note here:

My DST mod has a dapperness component, and when I use him in a reign of giants world, he crashes the game because the dapperness component does not exist or something along those lines. Here are the details of the error:

post-350545-0-17303600-1428100335_thumb.

Archived