Reign of Giants public test: March 27th Update

I was playing as Wigfrid and had a battle spear with 1% durability with hounds coming, so I made another one of her spears and put it in my inventory so it would equip when the first one ran out, but when the spear broke the other one didn't immediately equip like it normally does. Good thing I was paying attention, or else I might of died trying to punch hounds.

Also, I found some Beefalo that were sleeping in the evening.

@AlternateMew, Yes, so caves/ruins things may be in various stages of repair, but certainly don't expect any of them to be fully functional. Things that may look functional to the host are often invisible to clients because they don't have networking yet, or have other issues with their mechanics because they need to be rewritten to behave properly where there are multiple players that can join and leave.

So "finding bugs" with these things isn't really helpful. They're not supposed to be ready and the devs know that.

And the Codex Umbra is actually fully functional... you just need to be Maxwell or Wickerbottom (or a mod character with a "reader" component) and have nightmare fuel for it.

Edit: It's the same deal for giants that haven't been added yet... feel free to spawn them in and play around with them, but it's not really helpful to then report the crashes that you had with them. They're not ready, their code will undergo a lot of change before they're out.

Exactly.  Second post in this thread reporting bugs for things that aren't implemented yet. 

Current known issues:

• Bearger, Dragonfly, and Goosemoose (Moosegoose?) are still missing, they'll show up sometime soon though!

Crashed when my friend spawn and fight a bearger8fc1ef5e99b81918df7450d8ec130799.jpg

I was playing as Wigfrid and had a battle spear with 1% durability with hounds coming, so I made another one of her spears and put it in my inventory so it would equip when the first one ran out, but when the spear broke the other one didn't immediately equip like it normally does. Good thing I was paying attention, or else I might of died trying to punch hounds. Also, I found some Beefalo that were sleeping in the evening.

Weapons in inventory don't being automatically equipped when weapon in hand has waned up. In DST it always has been. I also played Wigfrid in DS and according to my memory it was same in single game too. But I'm not sure about integrity of my memory lol...

I also found some beefs are asleep during dusk. Don't know it is intended or not though.

Hi we found a bug where our world spawned without any clockwork enemies of any kind. 

http://puu.sh/gV02k/84abea7180.jpg

Because of that we could not obtain gears before summer for a ice-flingometer which ruined our game. The settings for clockworks in our game were clearly set to default (untouched). 

I've never seen it happen in normal DST so I can only assume it's an RoG bug. We weren't using any mods that modify game generation, only quality of life mods like Global Positions, Where's my Beefalo, Wormhole marks, Health Info and Always on Status.

@Ipsquiggle, is this a definitive decision?

Not my sentence, but they might make it a definitive decision. Picture this:

*finds a glommer statue*

*uses the blueprint*

*makes the old bell after glommer died after a full moon*

*leaves it somewhere safe, or dies somewhere*

*random newcomer appear and takes the bell from that spot*

*rings at the base intentionally, or don't know what it does*

*no way to stop the bigfoot, base gets destroyed into nothing. gg world.*

Basically its a way to countermeasure the griefers, because this is a pretty serious destructive tool, but I really hope if it is, they will replace it (the loot from the mined statue) with something else. Even with rollback function on the debug console, if they keep managing to do that without fail, it might not be worth it. 

Also, does pig house intentionally pops back pigs after a fire was started (when a pig is not even in the house due to it being dead)?

EDIT:

These might have already been reported, but...

*Only the Server owner can see pig speech and Pengull breeding site (the frozen floor, not the mini glacier), but the rest can't see it.

*Ditto for the giant calling. This can be difficult once the other giants are released, since other players might not be aware of the giant's arrival.

*finds a glommer statue* *uses the blueprint* *makes the old bell after glommer died after a full moon* *leaves it somewhere safe, or dies somewhere* *random newcomer appear and takes the bell from that spot* *rings at the base intentionally, or don't know what it does* *no way to stop the bigfoot, base gets destroyed into nothing. gg world.*

preventing this is absoulutely legitimate in my opionion. but restricting the bell for everybody in every case is not necessary. it should be an option which is disabled by default - so it can be used in private coop games.

Also, does pig house intentionally pops back pigs after a fire was started (when a pig is not even in the house due to it being dead)?

I noticed something similar as well.  I think the spawning changed for them.  As of now, you can kill a pig, and hammer his house down and another pig usually emerges.  Seems like the respawn timer has been lowered alot.  More pig skins/meat though so thats good.

preventing this is absoulutely legitimate in my opionion. but restricting the bell for everybody in every case is not necessary. it should be an option which is disabled by default - so it can be used in private coop games.

"Preventing this" actually is harder than it sounds, if you are dealing with a smart/ multiple griefer (a.k.a multiple account dealer... which won't make any sense). Like I said, Rollback everytime a random person intentionally broke the whole thing is going to be an issue, if its constant as well. It will take a lot of coding for them to even do that (enable/disable).

I seem to recall mention that a bug for crashing when birchnuts were planted was unreproducible. I'm pretty sure people use some bugs with extinguished items for tree farming with the Old Bell in RoG, so I tried that from memory. No crash, but I'm pretty sure this is not how to farm mass amounts of trees...

Dropped a stack of nuts on the ground, lit it, extinguished it, relogged. Second image is after letting them grow to stage one and becoming a single tree rather than nine.

post-557218-0-35595300-1427727899_thumb.

post-557218-0-61555800-1427727899_thumb.

Server side, if not obvious. I don't have anyone to test with at the moment, so I have no idea how clients handle that. The ground birchnut was when I tested relogging without burning it first. It stayed normal.

• Developer

Good Monday morning, everyone!

There's a couple things I'd like to address.

First, let me describe the new fire mechanics in a little more detail. This is so you know what's a bug and what's intentional, so that you can give us feedback appropriately. Here's what's changed:

• Everything burns for about twice as long.
  • The radius that fire spreads has been increased, but it spreads to closer objects sooner and far objects slower.
  • When fire spreads, instead of the new object immediately lighting, it smolders instead.
  • The time an object smolders is somewhat faster if there are other fires nearby.
  • Constructed objects take longer to light, but burn longer.
The idea is this: Fires are no longer "sudden" but slow and powerful. There is now a chance to stop them, but it's not easy and should cost you time, health, resources. (Especially if you catch it early.) If you don't have the resources to stop a fire, it is still wildly destructive.

What we're interested in right now is a) is the fire filling this role correctly, and b) is it fun and interesting and balanced. This second question is always a tricky one, but doubly so in Don't Starve because it's a pretty bleak and punishing game. As always, we're trying to craft that particular "Don't Starve" kind of experience, but seeing if we can fit fire into a new role.

Thanks for all your feedback on the fire so far!

Concerning Giants and Caves content: As others have already pointed out, anything that we haven't officially released is not ready for some reason. The reasons might be technical, or design, or just the amount of attention we're able to pay to different aspects of the game. Rest assured we want you to have this content, but we won't be addressing any bugs for caves content or giants because those things just aren't ready yet, they aren't "supposed" to be bug free. Right now we'd like to focus on the rest of the RoG content so we can get it cleaned up and ready for everyone to enjoy.

Regarding the old bell in particular: We think Bigfoot is awesome, we're just not sure if or how he's going to fit into the new ecosystem. We'd rather it be a fun mechanic that all players can enjoy rather than something restricted to users playing in a certain way. We don't know what the solution will be but for the time being Bigfoot has been removed.

Regarding already-reported bugs: Don't be shy, please keep reporting them! We've been pretty careful to record everything that you report so rest assured we're looking at your issue, but things don't always get fixed on the first try (especially for hard-to-reproduce bugs), and if you run into an issue a lot it helps us prioritize it (especially if you can provide additional details).

As for fire balance.......its a bit more helpful now in winter.  You can burn a tree and wait out the night quite easily.  Not only that but if you stand close to it long enough you can overheat, naked in the dead of winter at night(3 conditions that should freeze you no matter what without fire).  Thats a bit more useful than the old fire mechanic and definitely makes winter spawns easier.  Maybe thats a good thing for a lot of players, but veterans such as myself you just made winter SUPER easy.  Hope thats helpful and/or the type of feedback you are looking for.

it should be an option which is disabled by default - so it can be used in private coop games.
 Generally this is the use case that Klei leaves to mods. Which means... I have some work to do. But as Ipsquiggle said between now and then, they could end up bringing back the bell/foot in a different form.

This was in single-player RoG, but I don't think it was ever intentional. There was (and I would assume is) an exploit where you can light the house on fire with a flingomatic (or water balloons now) to put it out, then kill the pig, then light it on fire, etc... This was one of the things used in the fire trap exploit in single-player, but fortunately that's no longer possible due to the fire propagation changes.

On the fire changes, I really like them. But the longer burning does trivialize winter, as Clwnbaby said, since trees now burn for... 3x as long? This also makes collecting charcoal pretty slow, although currently there is still the bug that causes trees to drop multiple charcoal, so those cancel out a bit.

@Ipsquiggle

Oh before I forget, the problem I stated before about the audio bug where things start stuttering seems to be a problem if your nvidia graphic drivers (via an update) gets corrupt. Had to do a clean sweep of all the drivers and reinstall them to get it to work properly. If it happens again I will let you know. However I believe I have fixed the issue.   

What doesn't seem to make sense to me is:

You can add Deerclops... But none of the other giants -_o

A person who made an alternate RoG for himself and his family was able to add giants, simple as and he was working with even less people than the amount of people from Klei that are working on DST. So... huh?

I'm really hoping the farm bug gets properly fixed soon, cause my farms ain't growing nothing because of summer reasons.

so those cancel out a bit.

They could actually keep this bug to counterbalance the fact that trees burn longer, even if the problem Clwnbaby mentionned would remain.

Smoldering looks perfect to me, it's more realistic and we have a way to prevent our bases from burning completely. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with for bigfoot if it's as fitting and elegant as the solution you found for base burning.

I also have some questions about deerclop's intended behaviour.  In my games, he has invariably spawned on a survivor that is far away from our base, exploring or gathering resources.  This results in him wandering around a bit, maybe breaking a pig hut or two, and then disappearing.  I don't really feel like this is particularly exciting or dangerous, in fact to engage him I think we would have to go out of our way.  Maybe it would be better if the deerclops spawned relative to player created structures rather than current player locations?

Maybe it would be more interesting to spawn the giants at locations of high player traffic, similar to lure plants, rather than just near a random player?

Weapons in inventory don't being automatically equipped when weapon in hand has waned up. In DST it always has been. I also played Wigfrid in DS and according to my memory it was same in single game too. But I'm not sure about integrity of my memory lol...

I also found some beefs are asleep during dusk. Don't know it is intended or not though.

My other helmet equipped when the first one broke, so it would a bit odd if only the weapons didn't equip. I also seem to remember weapons equipping like tgat in single player, but I could be wrong.

Gotta be honest and trying not to be rude, increasing the range of a fire spreading without telling us that was clearly being implemented wasn't very cool. I had a server that was perfectly spaced out which all of a sudden wasn't, and burned to a crisp while I was coming back to camp and the flingomatic ran out of fuel. The game was hard enough as is. You gotta space everything almost to a ridiculous amount to avoid a burned down disaster if you don't have 3-4 active flingomatics.

Hi , I know it's for bugs.

Can someone please tell me how I can save my saved games from RoG, and create a new server on same slot in DST normal?

You guys should edit it on your first post. I bet there's many don't know how to, and since you recommened it :)

• Developer

@Clwnbaby @Sportsman180 Yes, exactly the kind of feedback we're looking for. :-)

I'm really hoping the farm bug gets properly fixed soon, cause my farms ain't growing nothing because of summer reasons.

I'm having a lot of trouble hunting down this particular issue. Would it be possible for you to send me your save file?

It's not super easy to find these days; launch the game, load your save, and then quit. In your log file:

My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\log.txt

you will find a line that says

Deserialize world session from session/123456789ABCDE/0000000010

but with different numbers. This is the path to the save file in your documents folder (for example, My Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\session\123456789ABCDE\0000000010). It's easy to mix up the numbers, please triple-check that you have the correct one. Then zip that file and attach it to a post. Thanks!

Hi,

like to mention some stuff regarding ROG, but also generall game-play:

Moleworms are stealing flints, which are needed in multiplayer much more. Maybe the flints can pop up over time (same period like meteors) in the grass area or where the moleworms are around

Changing view with q and e while build-menu is showed is not possible.

Rabbits (and maybe also everything else like frogs and spiders) dissappear after taking from a trap directly they got catched in it.

Gold-boulders should be dropped from meteors. Gold are neccessary to survive and for using technologies.

Wilfrid is kind of powerfull:
    - with armor she will never lose health over long period, when killing spiders, tallbirds and so on
    - after a battle with other players she can just kill mobs to regenerate herself fast and continue hunting other players
    - in the beginning aggressive wilfrids can kill peacefull player easily, maybe she should start just with the helmet and can craft the spear later to upgrade herself (like the robot) to hunt down others

Wickerbottom never needs a alchemy engine, so she is never in nead for much gold like others - maybe this is ok, if there is enough gold in the world. She can also craft easily and early a bird cage, since she starts with 2 papers. With the cage she will be able to exchange monster meat -> egg -> gold.

Since there are more new items (also to carry around), a safe way to store these items would be more neccessary: a good idea is digging items or chests into the ground and no one can see them, unless the character, who created the treasure died and drops a paper. This paper can be read by everyone else. The character who read the treasure-paper will get a marker on the map and can dig the treasure.

Let throw also feathers, grass-hat, football-helmets etc. into a fire-pit or camp-fire for creating fire. Else these items just lie around cannot be used for some reasons (like carrying too much).

The new fire-mechanic is actually a good idea, since many players will get surprised of the bigger iginition-range ;-)

Archived