Reign of Giants public test: March 27th Update

I experienced same 'child-killing Tallbird' problem previously reported by other player. Younger Tallbird suddenly generated near Tallbird's nest and they're fighting each other. I got free meats as results. Check Rhymes with play dedicated server log.

Oh I found Tallchick when spring starts. So they hatch in spring and grow up and fighting with their parents? lol

on what exactly is the "smothering mechanic"?  How does it work? 

Smothering was added in the original RoG. You'll see the item start to smolder, then eventually catch flame. If you run to it and click it in time, you'll exchange some health for being able to mat out the fire with your hands.

Hmm... so the fire changes pretty definitively kill fire traps, right? I like that. It also looks really cool. Fire could bear to spread a bit faster, though, maybe the smoldering could start a bit sooner?

Some other things I noticed reading the diffs:

- Smothering things with your hands now does 3 damage instead of 5

- Beefalo, Koalefants, Splumonkeys, Rooks, Ewecuses, Vargs, and the Dragonfly... are now 6-faced? (up from 4) I couldn't see any additional faces (directions they can appear to face), though.

The recipe for water balloons seems a little useless considering that you can just fill them up with ponds when you first get the blood sacks. Edit: Didn't realize it gives you 4 balloons. That changes things!

And a side note, @ailailou, Global Positions does the icons, so having Global Player Icons enabled as well just doubles the processing done.

I really love these changes, please keep the fire this way!

Edit:

But why is Endothermic Fire fueled by flammable things like wood/sticks/grass instead of just nitre and ice to make things relative? That way those resources would be more used (especially nitre) and people would have to hoard them up a little to prepare for hot summer...

To me, that would make sense.

I really love these changes, please keep the fire this way!

Edit:

But why is Endothermic Fire fueled by flammable things like wood/sticks/grass instead of just nitre and ice to make things relative? That way those resources would be more used (especially nitre) and people would have to hoard them up a little to prepare for hot summer...

To me, that would make sense.

Please don't make Summer any harder than it needs to be. You couldn't gather enough nitre or ice to survive a full Summer, let alone a second or a third.

Please don't make Summer any harder than it needs to be. You couldn't gather enough nitre or ice to survive a full Summer, let alone a second or a third.

Agreed. Nitre are very hard to come by if the meteor aren't being friendly and not drop regular rocks when there are no more rocks left and the moles haven't gotten hold of any minerals that might be nitrate. And if Ice ever comes less resistant to ice box (a.k.a no longer forever), it can pose even more problem as well. Also... I recalled Ice Flingomatics extinguish endothermic fire, so why on earth is ice even used for this thing? Just puzzles me.

On a side note, I somehow run into an issue where:

-After the server died and I stayed, when picking a new character thereafter, I run into a black screen with surroundings in bloodshot, as if you are starving, overheated or freezing. Every HUD on the right are empty, albeit the image itself. Somehow it happens not quite often, but if I run into it again I will post a Screenshot here. (Server owner don't experience this)

-Ditto for the above, except its the mods. Should you have some character mods active, but the server does not have them on, you might run into them at character select screen, ending up in an error screen instantly after getting close to them. Like the first, I can't find screenshot or log, so if I run into it again I will post. (Server owner don't experience this)

EDIT

rezecib

The recipe for water balloons seems a little useless considering that you can just fill them up with ponds when you first get the blood sacks.

Well, after reading this and testing it out, heres something:
-Every sack gives you 1 balloon when its filled from the pond. So that means 1 sack - 1 balloon
-If the balloon is made via the recipe however, You get 4 balloon at the cost of 2 sack and 1 ice, which saves 1 extra ingredients, seeing you only have a 50% chance of getting a sack from mosquitos, which only spawns at dusk/night at seasons other than winter.

But I guess filling from the ponds is there in emergency cases of Summer, or when you have no ice. The recipes just for ice holders who don't want to spend too much time getting sack I guess.

Eyebrella still doesn't protect against lightning.  Don't know if you're getting around to it or its not a bug or whatever but I'll keep mentioning it until you say otherwise or it gets fixed.

Also on a side note, I found a green gem in a tumbleweed.  Not complaining just bragging.  *Fingers crossed* that I'm the first one so far on Together.

Likely an already-reported bug, but when a crop withers in a farm, even under the watchful gaze of an ice-flingomatic, I often can't remove/harvest the crop. Fertilizing helps, but the plant never grows, occupying the slot for the farm and rendering it useless. Restarting the server seems to allow me to harvest the withered crops, though.

Also, upon restarting a server, glommer instantly ditches you. Not sure if this is intended behavior or not.

Splumonkeys are from the Ruins, so yes, they are not in yet, and will not be in until Caves are added.

Plenty of things from the ruins are in. I just tested a boat load to be sure: Rock lobsters, all three cave spiders, all three light plants, spilagmites, bunnymen, depth worms, thulecite armor and crown, orange/yellow/green staffs/gems/amulets, thulecite and thulecite fragments, are all in and appear to be fully functional. The ancient pseudoscience station, broken and non, is also in and functional.

Also, the Pile o' Balloons and Lucy are both in and functional. The Codex Umbra is in, but does nothing. However, upon the prompt of spawning every cave-and-character-exclusive item I could think of...

I have bugs to report! Concerning the following items that I completely console-spawned in:

- I also experience a crash when attempting to spawn a splumonkey.

- Crash experienced when crafting a Thulecite Medalion.

- The three varieties of cave spiders will attack Webber if they're untamed.

- Unrelated and not sure if devs consider this a bug worth fixing: Long pig is invisible once dried on the drying rack.

- [EDIT] Lucy tends to become invisible after re-logging. She still works, she's just invisible.

- [EDIT] Water Balloons have no description ("It's a... thing"). And yes, they look strange on the ground. Heh.

No mods were enabled. For the medallion:

post-557218-0-75736100-1427606194_thumb.

(I've never used the balloons before. Popped a pig one on purpose because playing Webber. Ow. Even balloon pigs are bullies!)

Yeah if you drop the balloon, it does a constant spinning animation. That doesn't look right. Also, they make you way too wet and cold. 3 or 4 balloons were thrown at me as a joke from a friend and all of a sudden I was at -16 degrees (with the Always on Display mod) and I froze to death while standing by a fire for 20 seconds. Griefer paradise if this isn't balanced quickly.

Potential bug: I just had improved farms burn during summer with two flingomatics going all out and me throwing waterballoons at it and we couldn't put it out. It spread slowly from one farm to the next until it consumed all eight in the area. Do I need 4 or 5 flingomatics to save farms or is it not working properly?

This is just sort of a "vague feeling," thing, but it seems like trees that are attempting to spread to a nearby object stay burning for much longer. 

I thought I lit three trees all in a row, just 1, 2, 3. The first two trees burned out fairly quickly with what I felt was normal timing, but the tree that was close to a grass tuft (seems like the smolder distance is further out than the spread distance used to be?) that I kept smothering kept burning for what felt like much longer. Is the spreading somehow resetting part of the duration on the tree's burn? 

I didn't exactly have a stopwatch out, but I observed this a few times. 

It could just be that it felt like longer since I had to actively watch in order to smother stuff out, but I felt like it was a bit odd that the tree kept burning long enough for me to lose most of my HP just to save that one grass tuft that wasn't even very close. It really seemed to burn for quite some time.

Bugs. Bugs, bugs, bugs and more bugs:

* The smouldering lasts just as long as it did before, but the time it takes for somrthing to burn is much much longer. I think you got the timing for the two mixed up, which actually makes fires much more destructive.

* Sometimes when a plant withers, you still can't harvest it. When it withers and you cannot harvest it, you can fertilise the plant (or the flingomatics fertilize the plants via snow). Upon doing so the plant goes from being withered in farm plots, to being recently planted with seeds. It then never grows at all, even when fertilised. This happens part of the time as I have two out of 11 farms still left that actually function correctly and can still grow plants.

* Withered grass (not sure about saplings and bushes though) are possible to harvest when you press spacebar near them. The player then does the harvesting animation, after which saying "I can't do that".

* Upon attacking something (i.e. Spider) just before they get frozen with the snow thrown by the ice flingomatic, the game crashes. I'd suggest that mobs don't actually freeze from being hit by flingomatics' snow but instead lose some health. I'm suggesting this not only because of the crash, but also because it makes farming birds for feathers and meat much easier; just have a spear ready and you'll kill a ton of birds in no time during Summer and you won't need to use bird traps unless you want to actually capture a bird.

* Smouldering butterflies are impossible to be extinguished, even via flingomatics due to their constant moving. This could cause the whole base to burn down if you don't have a bug net or if you don't kill the butterfly in time. I'd suggest that butterflies should not smoulder at all during Summer.

@AlternateMew, Yes, so caves/ruins things may be in various stages of repair, but certainly don't expect any of them to be fully functional. Things that may look functional to the host are often invisible to clients because they don't have networking yet, or have other issues with their mechanics because they need to be rewritten to behave properly where there are multiple players that can join and leave.

So "finding bugs" with these things isn't really helpful. They're not supposed to be ready and the devs know that.

And the Codex Umbra is actually fully functional... you just need to be Maxwell or Wickerbottom (or a mod character with a "reader" component) and have nightmare fuel for it.

Edit: It's the same deal for giants that haven't been added yet... feel free to spawn them in and play around with them, but it's not really helpful to then report the crashes that you had with them. They're not ready, their code will undergo a lot of change before they're out.

@rezecib Ah, I see. Of course I don't expect them to be functional, or even there. So it was a bit of a surprise to see that they were there in the first place. I didn't want to just ignore things that popped up, though I suppose I ought keep those ones quiet for now and jot them down for later.

Archived