Reign of Giants public test: March 23rd Update

Bug (just couldn't be asked to make a better introduction):

* While Glommer's flower is in your inventory and you leave the game, then the next time you enter the game, the flower will be withered and Glommer will flee.

Bug:

Farms that have withered due to heat can't be fertilized to grow again.  Unless the time frame for re-growth has changed, but it's been almost two weeks with no re-growth.  

Edit to clarify:  After summer, the plants got withered. I collected the grass and fertilized/planted seeds.  The farm plot stayed at the seedling stage despite days of waiting and trying poop and rot to fertilize and increase growth stages. 

@Doddler: As far as my experience in RoG goes, not a single one of the giants is hostile by default. They're all neutral. Getting underfoot, being too close, or attacking angers them. Once they lose interest, however, they're not like hounds. They don't automatically re-aggro on the nearest thing (though they will aggro on anything near).

I say this as someone who absolutely enjoys frolicking with giants, so I fiddle with them using the console pretty often.

Ah I see. I guess it's just in it's current state one rarely has to deal with them, or even really encounter them. The wiki makes it sound like it's supposed to wander around all winter, but there's enough bottlenecks and things on maps that you often won't see him at all. In my game I lost him in a clearing just next to our base at the start of winter and we never saw him again. If he moved from where we lost him, we didn't notice. I guess it's hard to say what's normal and what's not here though.

Had a glorious game yesterday where we were wholly unprepared for spring. The three of us were busy fighting nightmare beasts due to rain induced insanity when we were struck by a simultaneous nighttime frog rain and wolf attack while trying to keep the fire lit through it all. It was beautifully cruel, I couldn't envision a more perfect storm of game ending horror.

Removing the on/off switch in the flingomatics its not a good solution for the multiplayer. Why dont you give ownership to the builder. Per example if you build a flingomatic you are the only one that can switch on/off. And you can use this in everything. If you build something only you can hammer it down in 3/4 hits, de rest of the people

should need like 100 hits p.e. This would be valid to walls, to everything. Thats how survival muliplayers games do it and it would help with the griffing problems.

What do you guys think?

Hosted a Wilderness mode game where Deerclops spawned 7 days into the first winter, stomped over to the base camp from more than a screen away (ignoring my presence entirely even though I got up to his feet and swung a spear to lure him away) and immediately wrecked the place (with 2 players) before despawning randomly onscreen before the day was over.

I had a sudden screen flicker into black screen during a random gameplay in a server (Everything went black, and trying to do anything causes severe lag). But at the moment I can't find out what is causing it to happen. Once I know what happened I will post again.

Just a heads up.

Bugs:

1. On day 72~73, when entering the 2nd autumn, it started to rain and never ended. All grass, twigs and berry bushed were in harvested status. This problem should have been fixed in the update of March 19. But we started the game on March 21 (new world) and this thing happened again. No mods and all of us are running updated DST_ROG.

2. When Tent and Siesta Lean-to are smoldering, we can't deal with them using bare hands. When click on the Siesta Lean-to, I just got into it. When it was burnt and I was still inside, I couldn't get out. My character just disappeared. And my hunger/sanity numbers stopped dropping while the down arrow still on the indicator.

3. Deerclops attacked us in summer!!! We killed it in winter, but it attacked us again in summer!!!

4. Birchnut trees are leafy in winter and drop two Birchnuts just like in autumn. This makes winter too easy. However, any birchnut trees we planted are normal in winter.

We didn't use any mods.

Sounds pretty cool! But like some other people had said, I do agree that the ice flingomatic should have an on/off switch again and the deerclops shouldn't be in winter all of the time! I remember playing single-player and one deerclops came and destroyed my entire base because it was midnight and I was off-screen...it ruined my whole game! I don't wanna have to deal with deerclops ruining my base all of the time in the multiplayer! D':

I think on/off button is redundant. Think of refuel as an instant on/off button. When you need it (hear the hounds, beginning of summer), you fuel it depending on how long do you need it to last (little for hound, full for summer). 

I totally disagree. I should be able to keep a flingomatic in my camp and turn it on when I need it. I shouldn't have to build one, wait for the ice to run out for approximately two in-game days (all the while dousing every campfire in a screen's radius), and then refill it when stuff starts smoldering/red hounds attack. It's gamebreaking to me at this point. It's like, to keep your base from catching aflame, you have to build four flingomatics, one west of camp, east, north, and south, all the while spacing everything out perfectly so your campfires aren't in their range (potentially Charlie-killing you if they aren't spaced out and they fire at night).

I think deerclops now are perfectly fine for 2 ~ 3 people. As long as we are prepared with armor and icestaff / heal and stay alert during winter, it's not that hard to deal with them. In fact it's rather a necessity for us at this time to manage oversize beefalo herds. 

The only problem is that sometime they spawn at early spring / late spring as well, which make "staying alert" much harder. I know randomness might be a good thing to kill boredom and having a portion of your base destroyed is part of the experience as well but to be not alert of deerclops usually results in my entire base disappear  :nightmare: .

One suggestion though, is to include some newbie friendly presets when creating worlds. This serves as a quick overall difficulty change for the game as we might have many more options in the future.

It's just until they can find a way to balance it.

No im pretty sure its out for good.  Too devastating and its a griefer's paradise.  Imagine dude runs into center of camp rings it and laughs as he runs away

Also Birchnut trees are not all in their bare state during winter.  Some still have leaves on them.  Seems pretty sporadic.

No im pretty sure its out for good.  Too devastating and its a griefer's paradise.  Imagine dude runs into center of camp rings it and laughs as he runs away. Also Birchnut trees are not all in their bare state during winter. Some still have leaves on them. Seems pretty sporadic.

Well, they all go bare. But some grow up and show green leaves. Specially the ones that you plant during winter.

Perhaps the old bell could be reworked. If giant statues were to be implemented, perhaps you could use the bell at a statue to summon the giant in question. Also, perhaps a bigfoot zone could be implemented.

For example, imagine you ring the bell in a desolate place. Nothing happens.

Now, imagine there are certain spots in the world, where instead of having walrus camps, you have big footprints, akin as the ones bigfoot leaves when he stomps the ground.

If you ring the bell within 30 distance of a footprint, bigfoot will come and stomp on the place the bell was ringed.

Now, those special footprints can't be made, people can lure giants there to stomp them, you can use the old bell to harvest wood, and if you stay clear of it, a griefer won't smack your base down.

Thoughts?

No im pretty sure its out for good.  Too devastating and its a griefer's paradise.  Imagine dude runs into center of camp rings it and laughs as he runs away

Also Birchnut trees are not all in their bare state during winter.  Some still have leaves on them.  Seems pretty sporadic.

Make it so that it doesn't destroy player-made objects.

There. Balanced. :)

Deerclops spawns in summer still.

Deerclops attack range seems larger than the actual attack animation.

Deerclops will chase players around the map without destroyed tree/plants when stepped on. In other area's it will destroy tree/plants while stepping on them.

Clients have an issue where they will be unable to plant after every 4th item they plant.

Animations get stuck causing the clients machine to get stuck in place even while not doing something; this causes death (might be due to lag?)

Burchnuts cannot be planted without crashing dedicated servers.

If you catch a base on fire with Fling-o-matics around, it will crash while trying to put out the fires. This is a race setting, with the fling-o-matics and reaching a nil value while there is no fire.

Umbrella made form pig skin seems to not affect the rain meter properly.

Fire at max + Umbrella while raining causes your wetness meter to go up instead of down.

Fire at max + Rain hat while raining causes your wetness meter to go up instead of down.

Rain Coat removes wetness when 5 or under.

Rain Coat plus Tam o Shanter causes wetness to go up and down strangely.

Sleeping in a tent while it's raining causes the wetness meter to act strangely.

• Developer

Just a note on the birchnut trees in winter - they are supposed to start getting leaves during the last 3 days of winter. At the start of spring, all the birchnuts should have their leaves. It's a bug if they grow leaves earlier than the last 3 days, or if they have autumn colours instead of green leaves.

Fire at max + Umbrella while raining causes your wetness meter to go up instead of down. Fire at max + Rain hat while raining causes your wetness meter to go up instead of down. Rain Coat removes wetness when 5 or under. Rain Coat plus Tam o Shanter causes wetness to go up and down strangely.

The umbrella and the rain hat alone are not supposed to make you 100% waterproof. And fire doesn't contribute to waterproofing.

Rain hat gives 70%, umbrella gives 90%.

So if the precipitation rate is high, you will see an arrow, with a low rate, you won't see the arrow but the meter will go up regardless.

The rain coat does give 100%.

That's weird.

However, I pressume that the issue is that for clients, moisture is a ushortint, so the client ends up calculating imprecise moistures that end up in wrong deltas, that end adding up and making arrows in the moisturemeter that shouldn't be. In Don't Starve single player RoG, whenever it starts raining, the moisture meter pops up, because moisture > 0. Despite moisture < 1. But here, the moisture meter appears for the client when his moisture goes from 0 to 1, so the meter appears at 1.

Maybe moisture should be a float? It would be more network intensive though, communicating slight changes. Or maybe the server should send the client the type of arrow it should have?

Clients have an issue where they will be unable to plant after every 4th item they plant.

Animations get stuck causing the clients machine to get stuck in place even while not doing something; this causes death (might be due to lag?)

Burchnuts cannot be planted without crashing dedicated servers.

If you catch a base on fire with Fling-o-matics around, it will crash while trying to put out the fires. This is a race setting, with the fling-o-matics and reaching a nil value while there is no fire.

These all sound like local issues with your server/settings. 

@DarkXero, based on what the wikia stated, it should help you dry out faster. Does that simply not work while it's raining?

@toastmasta, all but, the very first item on that list started happening after this most recent update. Pretty sure it's not got anything to do with my server or settings since it's a dedicated LAN server and the settings haven't changed. 

@Kzisor, in moisture.lua, in the GetDryingRate function, you have:

-- Don't dry if it's raining	if self:GetMoistureRate() > 0 then		return 0	end

Because the umbrella and the rain hat alone can't provide you with 100% waterproofness.

With less than 100% protection, if it's raining, the moisture rate will be > 0.

The rain coat waterproofs you and makes it 0, thus you dry.

As of now, if you are considered wet (getSegs >= 2), you will dry slower. The umbrella decreases the moisture rate, so you may not reach wet status, so, when rain stops, you may not be wet, therefore not getting the wet penalty and drying faster.

But no, technically speaking, umbrella and rain hat alone don't touch the drying rate at all.

Crops which are planted in farms during summer which turn into withered plants, yet state they are not ready to be harvested can be fertilized. When fertilized they turn into a small crop, but will not grow past that stage. Not even Wickerbottom's book can make it grow past that stage.

@DarkXero, that makes sense. However, I still think fires should still help reduce wetness growth even while raining. 

Archived