Sign in to follow this  
SmileyBun

Help! Surrounded by swamp.

SmileyBun    10

Hello! I'm a fellow survivor on my 58th day. I'm lucky enough to spawn on a map fairly close to the Pig King, which ensures my gold nugget supply, but unfortunate enough to have the rest of the map cut off by a rather sizable swamp biome.

I don't have enough rocks to make my first crock pot, and as well as the rest of the items that require rocks to craft.

I have attempted to cross the swamp, with my football helm and logsuit equipped, as well as the company pigman friends, but to no avail. I can't progress much with the limited resources I have now, so any friendly survivors willing to leave a tip or some suggestions?

Thanks for reading, and thank you in advance for your help. Happy surviving!

post-6363-13764589862433_thumb.jpg

qwerm    18

follow the stone path, that's often your safest route THROUGH the swamp until you learn how to dodge tentacles on the fly, otherwise, try the very edge of the island. Just know that any route you take that isn't ON the stone path, will in all likely hood take you into makeout distance of a lot of tentacles until you start remembering where they sit( they're immobile).

start your trek at the beginning of the day, to give yourself ample time should the stone path wind it's way through.

Marak    27

You're either going to need to work on your on-the-fly dodging skills, or master tentacle fighting. Tips for fighting tentacles (if you're feeling brave):

1) Wait for the tentacle to form up as a lump out of the ground.

2) Click on the lump to attack it once, then IMMEDIATELY run away.

3) As Soon as you hear the "SWOOSH" of the missed tentacle swing, stop.

4) After the second swing, click on the tentacle to attack it again.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the Tentacle dies - it will take 8 hits with a Spear to take one down.

If you have some armor on, you can survive more than a few hits from tentacles, so don't feel too bad if you mess up your hit and run tactics while getting the hang of it.

Syd    233

When you're going through a swamp, the safest thing you can do is to keep running while watching the ground for emerging tentacles. You can see the tentacles bulging out of the ground a few seconds before they completely emerge, so just make sure that you're not too close to it when it's coming up so it won't be in range to hit you.

Tentacles are stationary, so if you find a safe spot in the swamp, it will stay safe (save for the hounds, of course), so you can definitely make a camp in a swamp if you need to.

If you want to fight a tentacle, they're surprisingly easy to kill while taking little to no damage. They stick to a very predictable attack pattern, trying to hit you twice, then leaving an opening that's long enough for you to run in, hit it once, then run back out before it strikes again. Once you learn the timing, it's not too difficult.

General    10

Swamps = (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I suck so hard at fighting tentacles. Every now and then I'll get lucky and kill one without getting hit.

A tip I have for dodging them is to use wasd to move through a swamp, I don't know why but, it seems easier to dodge them with analog controls. When I use a mouse I seem to dodge one tentacle too much and just run into another one. With wasd I dodge just enough. Maybe this is just me.

Ora    10

All of my suggestions have already been covered, but I feel I should add that tentacles, at this point in time, do not respawn. Once you've cleared an area, it's clear forever. That may change in a future update, but I've heard nothing of plans to make tentacles respawn.

DreVinci    10
All of my suggestions have already been covered, but I feel I should add that tentacles, at this point in time, do not respawn. Once you've cleared an area, it's clear forever. That may change in a future update, but I've heard nothing of plans to make tentacles respawn.

Are you sure about them not respawning? I feel like I've had a world where they did (because I killed all the tentacles in the area because they would harass my wandering beefalo nearby). Unfortunately, a decent amount of days later, I found 2 dead beefalo sitting out in the nearby swamp.

Ora    10

Sometimes tentacles can spawn in clumps of... well, just a butt ton of them. But I'm pretty sure they don't respawn. I've had most of one of my swamps clear for well over a month of in-game time now.

SmileyBun    10

It was a triumph! I'm making a note here to success! Cake for everyone! After being stuck on the same spot for over 30 in-game days, I've broken through! Surprisingly, I just had to push on a little more on the cobblestone path and I found the other side of the swamp. Thank you to everyone that chimed in!

post-6363-13764589867626_thumb.jpg

You're either going to need to work on your on-the-fly dodging skills, or master tentacle fighting. Tips for fighting tentacles (if you're feeling brave):

1) Wait for the tentacle to form up as a lump out of the ground.

2) Click on the lump to attack it once, then IMMEDIATELY run away.

3) As Soon as you hear the "SWOOSH" of the missed tentacle swing, stop.

4) After the second swing, click on the tentacle to attack it again.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the Tentacle dies - it will take 8 hits with a Spear to take one down.

If you have some armor on, you can survive more than a few hits from tentacles, so don't feel too bad if you mess up your hit and run tactics while getting the hang of it.

@Marak

That's the best tentacle fighting tips I've seen so far, kudos to you good sir! Unfortunately, before this I have lost one meat effigy to tentacles when my personal pigman army failed, but I think I'll be attempting to deal with them to get more tentacle spikes with these handy tips :D!

Use a path if you have one but you can get tentacles there sometimes, I run like mad from spiky plant to spiky plant, reeds are good too.

@cannajan

Definitely, the cobblestone path helped a lot! I still haven't found quite much use for papyrus yet, but I've been neglecting the research part of the game for quite some time so I have to look into it.

Swamps = (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I suck so hard at fighting tentacles. Every now and then I'll get lucky and kill one without getting hit.

A tip I have for dodging them is to use wasd to move through a swamp, I don't know why but, it seems easier to dodge them with analog controls. When I use a mouse I seem to dodge one tentacle too much and just run into another one. With wasd I dodge just enough. Maybe this is just me.

@General

I know how you feel pal. ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`□´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

It's not just you, the WASD controls definitely help a lot for dodging monsters. Which is rather weird for me cause the mouse controls were more natural for me in Don't Starve.

The swamp isn't all the bad after it stops restricting you from going to more biomes though. The tentacles saved me from 2 huge treeguards today!

When you're going through a swamp, the safest thing you can do is to keep running while watching the ground for emerging tentacles. You can see the tentacles bulging out of the ground a few seconds before they completely emerge, so just make sure that you're not too close to it when it's coming up so it won't be in range to hit you.

Tentacles are stationary, so if you find a safe spot in the swamp, it will stay safe (save for the hounds, of course), so you can definitely make a camp in a swamp if you need to.

If you want to fight a tentacle, they're surprisingly easy to kill while taking little to no damage. They stick to a very predictable attack pattern, trying to hit you twice, then leaving an opening that's long enough for you to run in, hit it once, then run back out before it strikes again. Once you learn the timing, it's not too difficult.

@Syd

Thank you for the tips :D! It'll definitely come in handy! After a death in the swamp I still need sometime to muster the courage to camp out in the swamps though. I'll try to remember that when I need to venture out into the swamps again. For now, I'll be staying in the safe havens of the grasslands and savannah biome.

I do have to practice on the tentacle timing though, they hit quite hard even with a logsuit and a football helm.

@Ora

Thank you for the tip! That's really useful! I have small portions of the swamp cleared out by pigmen and treeguards so those places will be a little safer now!

Are you sure about them not respawning? I feel like I've had a world where they did (because I killed all the tentacles in the area because they would harass my wandering beefalo nearby). Unfortunately, a decent amount of days later, I found 2 dead beefalo sitting out in the nearby swamp.

@DreVinci

I can't help much to proof that since I've only gone through 70+ in-game days, and a better portion of it out of the swamp, but I did notice when I went back to collect the loot from the tentacles defeated by the pigmen they do stay defeated, at least for a few days. Didn't bother to check ever since.