Griefing is not a problem for Klei to worry about.

Bug fixes, adding the vanilla Don't Starve content, RoG content, the already announced new DST content, balancing characters for servers with 2+ human players, and things of this nature are what Klei needs to focus on.

Griefing, anti-griefing fixes and updates, and how players interact with one another in servers (official or otherwise) are NOT Klei's problem.

If you're reading this I'd like you to either agree or disagree, and rebut if you'd like. This truly needs to be discussed.

I don't want this to go the way of Minecraft and have development come to a standstill in part because whiny children can't handle the multiplayer aspect of a game where people are allowed to do things to hurt them.

I am strongly of the opinion that if you want to play on a server without griefing, you should play with people you know and agree upon the idea of no griefing beforehand rather than asking Klei to add official code to the game to prevent players from doing things that annoy you.

If mods and modders want to address griefing issues that is fine with me, but Klei needs to focus on the game right now, not the antagonistic playerbase that develops around all multiplayer games.

I strongly agree. It's not because a minority is creating what are considered problems (whereas it's only annoying for you) than there must be something to prevent their actions. After all, you can play on a dark side if you want . Or you can be a troll, if you want.

According to the fact that it is possible to play with people you know or people who won't grief, there shouldn't be any gameplay restrictions because of the other players. We only need tweaks to create balance, not to prevent possible griefing.

Griefing, anti-griefing fixes and updates, and how players interact with one another in servers (official or otherwise) are NOT Klei's problem.

I am strongly of the opinion that if you want to play on a server without griefing, you should play with people you know and agree upon the idea of no griefing beforehand rather than asking Klei to add official code to the game to prevent players from doing things that annoy you.

100% agree

haters gonna hate, happends in every game ( mult or single ) no matter what 

Any character can grab a torch and burn stuff. Willow lost her uniqueness. One of my friends actually liked playing Willow, she's great on private servers. It's not Willow's fault that she can be used to grief, it's the people playing as Willow.

Maybe a "Nerf Willow" option when creating a server? Klei please change it back or make it optional :(

I think it is their responsibility, actually. ...just not to the extent that many seem to think is worth it. They should set basic anti-griefing measures in place, and that's it. and they have. (however, I'm all for more admin control. the more the better)

I also agree 100%!

I really like this topic, because I only play with friends Co-op and rarely with foreign people. For me that is most fun, no griefing and you get much more addicted to your world. Sadly there are a lot of people that only want to destroy the gameplay and have no love for the game or the world they playing on. But playing with them is no fun, no matter what Kley tries to fix...

I think a few fixes have to be done, but Klei should not focus too much on griefers. Otherwise the players that really want to play with their friends or on servers with friendly people have to suffer from that.

You have a point, but they can balance out Willow at least.

They said they're rebalancing all characters (I doubt Wilson will get a rebalance, but who knows).

Edit: Also,

I don't want this to go the way of Minecraft and have development come to a standstill in part because whiny children can't handle the multiplayer aspect of a game where people are allowed to do things to hurt them.

This is true also, but you should never compare DS to Minecraft. Sure they share similar aspects (such as crafting, health, hunger, combat, etc.) but trust me, they are not the same, you can't exactly compare the two since both take multiplayer two different ways.

I am sure everyone has 6 or so friends that can all join a server at the same time and start playing the game so lets just get rid of public servers where those whiny players are that need babysitting.   lol not!   Here we go again. This has already been discussed at length and currently it is just to darn easy to join a server take everything and drop out... it can literally take all of a second once you find a base. A SECOND OR MAYBE 2 to mess up the game for 16 or more people. This is an issue that needs to be addressed.  What this really is is another Willow player that is bitter and that makes me  :joyous:

I agree: grieving isn't klei's problem, and they shouldn't worry about it.

Grieving is a community-sourced problem and requires a community-sourced solution; Klei has given us more than enough ability to create anti-griefing mods and anything similar that people are asking them to do. If bad players are such a plague, then good players can make mods to stop them (if it's such a problem, then a specific mod will inevitably be created), so game developers can focus on, well, developing the game.

I do stand behind some of the changes to willow, the main one being her spontaneously setting things on fire, but any rebalancing can be done by a simple character mod; if a server owner doesn't want her torching everything, then the owner can install a mod that does such.

well, I do think that the Devs should have griefing in mind, but only so that if they have any gameplay-related ideas that could be used as a bonus to add some basic anti griefing method.

I don't remember this happening.(I do remember it's development going down the drain because of the people in charge after Notch left, though.)

The Devs should provide the tools (which Klei did) and the community has to put in the most work when it comes to banning/keeping griefers away. Many people just jump into a server full of strangers and expect everything to be perfect, which is outlandish. We can't beg Klei to fix problems like that. Rather ask for a specific tool/feature if really needed. People just don't understand that we, as a community, have to put in some effort to make this a good experience.

I am sure everyone has 6 or so friends that can all join a server at the same time and start playing the game so lets just get rid of public servers where those whiny players are that need babysitting.   lol not!   Here we go again. This has already been discussed at length and currently it is just to darn easy to join a server take everything and drop out... it can literally take all of a second once you find a base. A SECOND OR MAYBE 2 to mess up the game for 16 or more people. This is an issue that needs to be addressed.  What this really is is another Willow player that is bitter and that makes me  :joyous:

I started out with DST as a complete noob and my friends weren't really interested in the game. With a little bit of effort, I jumped into some streams and played/learned the game from there without having to deal with griefers. You could literally do the same with forums or even befriend people on public servers.

It never came to my mind to jump into a server with all strangers and expect everyone to be nice to each other.

I think the keyword here is effort and that's what many people are not willing to put in, which blows my mind because that's what the game is all about.

There is only so much Klei can do and the rest is upon us. Now they even gave us a rollback feature, so there is absolutely no excuse now. Even if that is still not enough for you, be a bit patient. The community around the game is still building (it's just a beta after all) and I am sure that there will be more options available for everyone made by the community.

Ya ok I am lazy? effort in bold huh? .  I run 2 dst servers and I have 4 admins that I trust helping me out. I do this because I enjoy the game and want others to as well.  There may be times when an admin is not present and then Rollback does no good. Natbagle I do agree that if you browse the forums looking for good players and maybe pressure some friends to try out the game and then get a private server the griefer problem is gone and the only issue I see here is that the only people buying the game are diehard dst fans because the casual gamers that want to jump in and enjoy the game won't be there ergo Klei doesn't sell as many copies so I think you may be a little selfish ;)

Ya ok I am lazy? effort in bold huh? .  I run 2 dst servers and I have 4 admins that I trust helping me out. I do this because I enjoy the game and want others to as well.  There may be times when an admin is not present and then Rollback does no good. Natbagle I do agree that if you browse the forums looking for good players and maybe pressure some friends to try out the game and then get a private server the griefer problem is gone and the only issue I see here is that the only people buying the game are diehard dst fans because the casual gamers that want to jump in and enjoy the game won't be there ergo Klei doesn't see as many copies so I think you may be a little selfish ;)

First of all I didn't call you lazy and second of all I don't like you calling me selfish just based on my post. Let's just discuss this topic without getting on a personal level, please.

You definitely have a point that casual players, that have no one to play with right from the get go will have more trouble dealing with griefers, because they are more likely to jump into a server without any moderators etc.

With community effort I am not only talking about the individual effort we can put in, to get ourselves into a better server, but also building a community and making it friendly for newcomers.

I think the best approach for Klei is to work on content instead of keep on bringing out patches that are aimed towards the griefing issue, that is my whole point and that's basically what OP said.

Instead of hoping that Klei will bring out the ultimate fix (which is impossible in my opinion) we can contribute to making it better or just wait. I think many people are just way too impatient and don't understand that the community around this game is still building. Many die hard fans aren't even interested in DST because of the lack of content.

If Klei stops focusing on the game content, the quality of the game will suffer and the community won't be as big as it could be. The game is still beta and so is the community.

1: go workshop and find mod for grievers

2: make ur own server or join only ur friend's server

3: be better player. grievers can not kill you if you are good

at least, don't force others for your selfish playstyle. I like grievers because they are very helpful for my playstyle at PvP dedicated like SanFran etc.

or can I force you guys my playstyle? more grieving plz.

1: go workshop and find mod for grievers

2: make ur own server or join only ur friend's server

3: be better player. grievers can not kill you if you are good

at least, don't force others for your selfish playstyle. I like grievers because they are very helpful for my playstyle at PvP dedicated like SanFran etc.

or can I force you guys my playstyle? more grieving plz.

Klei should at least give Admins tools to work with.

Or else the Server owners can't do anything with Griefing.

Archived