Bunny's PvP competition

Also would you be interested in joining :grin:? I would love to get the chance to fight a real admin X) and i'm sure everyone else would like it as well :grin:?

I saw the Klei livestream(?) last night and some dev was playing. Mark something. He was murdering everyone (he uses console to spawn stuff though). Anyway, it was fun to watch. Chaos. Be on the lookout for the next one so you can try to fight Klei devs. :) I don't know the exact schedules either but I saw their tweet from @klei account. Hope you get your wish to fight them. :D

I saw the Klei livestream(?) last night and some dev was playing. Mark something. He was murdering everyone (he uses console to spawn stuff though). Anyway, it was fun to watch. Chaos. Be on the lookout for the next one so you can try to fight Klei devs. :-) I don't know the exact schedules either but I saw their tweet from @klei account. Hope you get your wish to fight them. :grin:

Thanks I hope I get to as well :D can you send me a link to the stream :D? I'd love to watch 

So we did do a competition this morning with Adios who I presume is another admin. Basically we were given five days for gathering then we were teleported into the ocean for fighting. It went flawlessly but nobody was really trying besides me and Syph. I did notice that I've been crashing/freezing a whole lot less than a few days ago which is good news.

Since you got alot of suggestions would you please update the thread so everyone can see what the final rules/special world generations will be? Just want to make sure everybody is on the same page.

Getting 124 ping by the way.

Sure :) sorry about that ^^ I'll try to start updating it at least once a day 

So we did do a competition this morning with Adios who I presume is another admin. Basically we were given five days for gathering then we were teleported into the ocean for fighting. It went flawlessly but nobody was really trying besides me and Syph. I did notice that I've been crashing/freezing a whole lot less than a few days ago which is good news.

Server was set to 60 tickrate for the past few days and I haven't gotten around working with other kinks in the server, because I'm doing everything pretty old fashioned; manually. If I was better at coding/programming/creating mods I would've done what Infected did with his server, for whatever he did and I really hate asking others for help, because I'm pretty sure he had mods, can't confirm since I never joined/looked at the server list.

Since you got alot of suggestions would you please update the thread so everyone can see what the final rules/special world generations will be? Just want to make sure everybody is on the same page.

Getting 124 ping by the way.

That's what we hope to establish as there's still a week left, but I feel somewhat stressful doing things to see how the arena should be as I'm doing it mostly on my own with some testing from other players. Also that ping is pretty standard for east coast.

For the survival competition what exactly does it mean to 'start' the PVP on day 6? What if someone wants to fight before that? Is it possible to change the pvp settings of the server while the world is live?

Trying to see how YOU guys, the community want it as. The PVP that Flare did on Infected's server is free PVP but you get teleported to the arena after day .. 9? I think. But you can fight before that to steal other people's loot too.

For the survival competition what exactly does it mean to 'start' the PVP on day 6? What if someone wants to fight before that? Is it possible to change the pvp settings of the server while the world is live?

No we will keep track of pvp through the logs it won't be turned off but  if you are found pvping before day 6 then we will start negating your points. The only reason I say day 6 is because I want to make this as fair as possible so we don't have spawn kills for willow on the first few days. I believe that with your skill you could get an alchemy engine up in 3 days but for most people it takes about 5 or 6.

Sounds like fun! I'd like to join, for the PvP session at least

Sure i'll sign you up for just the pvp then :)

Well, here's my current standpoint for this upcoming event and thank you Bunny for helping me achieve it.

10 players max I don't seem to have a problem with at 60 tickrate (Default is 15 and 60 is the highest).

Tick rate determines the quality of your server.  A higher tick rate consumes more bandwidth and CPU, but can result in smooth gameplay for clients.

But moving forth for the current stress test of 20 people, things get a little heavy with 60 tick. I might be able to do 30, but I'm not sure yet.

The signup is getting a bit too big already right now, so I'm just trying to figure out how I'd want to proceed. I can get a 20 slot server for about $18 a month, but I don't foresee myself staying in the realm of hosting/managing it either because I've had my fair share of previous hosting stufff in Counter-Strike and whatnot.

Aaaa idk the depressing side of me is what's making it difficult and I just don't have a clear head doing it long term mostly. It was just an event(s) Bunny asked me to do. lol. I just wanted things to be fair and really stable/optimal for everyone.

No we will keep track of pvp through the logs it won't be turned off but  if you are found pvping before day 6 then we will start negating your points. The only reason I say day 6 is because I want to make this as fair as possible so we don't have spawn kills for willow on the first few days. I believe that with your skill you could get an alchemy engine up in 3 days but for most people it takes about 5 or 6.

That sounds good. Can clarify that in the rules? Or is it there and I'm just blind...

Here's some questions for you folks because Bunny and I seem to have different opinions and hopefully people can still chime in/look at this thread.

1. Do you guys want the PVP arena to start right away or do you want some extra time to gather more items and try to get an edge/advantage (Like how FlareV2 does it on his streams)
  2. Special items for each character that you choose of. 

[7:56:45 PM] My waifu B: hmm i think it should be on equal terms

[7:56:51 PM] My waifu B: with 15 butter
    [7:57:04 PM] My waifu B: and a special weapon for each charater as well
    [7:57:15 PM] My waifu B:: does that seem more interesting?
    [7:57:53 PM] J: ask what people think
    [7:57:58 PM] J: there's still 7 days left
    [7:58:53 PM] My waifu B:: like fire staff for willow
    [7:59:17 PM] My waifu B: and meat like meat stew for wold gang
    [7:59:28 PM] My waifu B: tentacle book for wicker
    [7:59:53 PM] My waifu B: um wilson get idk
    [7:59:58 PM] My waifu B: 4 gears for wx
    [8:00:12 PM] My waifu B: wendy gets idk

3. Other things you may ask/want clarification on?

Ehh.. I'm awfully bad at this game.. but I'd like to enter too; I might be able to learn a thing or two while my face is getting hacked apart by someone xD

K you're on the list good luck :) 

Well, here's my current standpoint for this upcoming event and thank you Bunny for helping me achieve it.

10 players max I don't seem to have a problem with at 60 tickrate (Default is 15 and 60 is the highest).

But moving forth for the current stress test of 20 people, things get a little heavy with 60 tick. I might be able to do 30, but I'm not sure yet.

The signup is getting a bit too big already right now, so I'm just trying to figure out how I'd want to proceed. I can get a 20 slot server for about $18 a month, but I don't foresee myself staying in the realm of hosting/managing it either because I've had my fair share of previous hosting stufff in Counter-Strike and whatnot.

Aaaa idk the depressing side of me is what's making it difficult and I just don't have a clear head doing it long term mostly. It was just an event(s) Bunny asked me to do. lol. I just wanted things to be fair and really stable/optimal for everyone.

we may have to start limiting players or buy a bigger server it just depends at the moment. Also this is a one time thing unless it get's a positive reaction from the community and people want to do this again :)

Pvping basically boils down to whoever has the lowest ping wins. I was fighting Xopher today who had 95 ping while I had 125. I couldn't land a single hit on him and it was very frustrating. If there was a way to cap everyone at a certain ping that would give everyone a fair chance at winning. Also, player specific special items, if someone had a fire staff in the arena that just screams unfair. I'm not really on board with the idea but at the same time this is not my forum post lol. a log suit, a spear and 2-3 butter/salves for each person will make the fight quick and a lot less complaining from those underpowered by others special items afterwords. :)

Pvping basically boils down to whoever has the lowest ping wins. I was fighting Xopher today who had 95 ping while I had 125. I couldn't land a single hit on him and it was very frustrating. If there was a way to cap everyone at a certain ping that would give everyone a fair chance at winning. Also, player specific special items, if someone had a fire staff in the arena that just screams unfair. I'm not really on board with the idea but at the same time this is not my forum post lol. a log suit, a spear and 2-3 butter/salves for each person will make the fight quick and a lot less complaining from those underpowered by others special items afterwords. :-)

k no special items lol but i'm keeping the thulecite  XD you can't get these weapons in regular dst so it's a fun way to bring these items in game :D plus i think it makes the game more interesting

Question! *raises hand* 

How will loging on work? I mean, will you setup a password and PM us all or find some way to make a whitelist? Because it could become a problem if randoms start joining without knowing the rules in the middle of the competition. Sure, you could ban them all as they join but that doesn't sound optimal to me, you could easily miss one by accident. 

If you do find a way to make a whitelist, my steam username is Smelly_Bacon. (Forums didn't allow me to use underscores)

Question! *raises hand* 

How will loging on work? I mean, will you setup a password and PM us all or find some way to make a whitelist? Because it could become a problem if randoms start joining without knowing the rules in the middle of the competition. Sure, you could ban them all as they join but that doesn't sound optimal to me, you could easily miss one by accident. 

If you do find a way to make a whitelist, my steam username is Smelly_Bacon. (Forums didn't allow me to use underscores)

Very good question indeed as I never addressed it, but I had intentions of actually stopping network connections once it began, but there will be late joiners maybe that signed up, so I think a password is what needed or a simple whitelist. Thanks for that.

Sorry Bunny, I have to go to the doctor that day. I've beendiagnosed with a peptic ulcer disease<- turned out losing 10 pounds in one month is considered "abnormal" 

D: I hope you're going to be okay. Get better soon!!! And we will probably do something like this again as well so don't be worried :> 

Do you guys want the PVP arena to start right away or do you want some extra time to gather more items and try to get an edge/advantage (Like how FlareV2 does it on his streams)

I like the "you build your own victory" kind of deal. If everyone would have same items in the arena, it would probably boil down to being Wolfgang or having lowest ping.

*butts in* I'm not joining this, but to Host, if you're having problems handling too many people at once, maybe you can organize it like a tournament.

i.e. Top 10 people with lowest ping fight under Class A on a set time. Then on a diff schedule, the next 10 people can fight under Class B, and so on. Then let winners of each Class fight at another set day until you have 1 winner.

That still doesn't solve the problem of having highly diff pings for the latter fights. But at least for the first few fights, each player gets assured that he has more or less same ping as his opponents. Plus, less players per fight means less chance of the server being bogged down.

*butts in* I'm not joining this, but to Host, if you're having problems handling too many people at once, maybe you can organize it like a tournament.

i.e. Top 10 people with lowest ping fight under Class A on a set time. Then on a diff schedule, the next 10 people can fight under Class B, and so on. Then let winners of each Class fight at another set day until you have 1 winner.

That still doesn't solve the problem of having highly diff pings for the latter fights. But at least for the first few fights, each player gets assured that he has more or less same ping as his opponents. Plus, less players per fight means less chance of the server being bogged down.

:) thanks for the suggestion we might have to do this if to many people want to join but for now the server should be able to hold :> also if we have more competitions if this one goes well ^^ we might want to use this :D  

Pvping basically boils down to whoever has the lowest ping wins. I was fighting Xopher today who had 95 ping while I had 125. I couldn't land a single hit on him and it was very frustrating. If there was a way to cap everyone at a certain ping that would give everyone a fair chance at winning. Also, player specific special items, if someone had a fire staff in the arena that just screams unfair. I'm not really on board with the idea but at the same time this is not my forum post lol. a log suit, a spear and 2-3 butter/salves for each person will make the fight quick and a lot less complaining from those underpowered by others special items afterwords. :-)

Not true.  PVP is about knowing the desync between your character and your opponent and adjusting your attack timings on this.

I have a video where I'm double your ping and you can't hit me. :razz:   (except with a boomerang)

EDIT: Fighting someone with 40 ping has different attack timings than someone with 80 ping which is different than someone with 120ping.  You just have to get used to different timings based on their ping (always check their ping with tab)

EDIT: This is also true for almost any other game including Mortal Online, Darkfall, etc.

EDIT: The only time I usually die is when i fight someone whos timings I don't know yet.  After I adjust for the desync they get ripped apart.

***SKIP TO 1:21****

At around 2:07 is where i'm probing you to learn your attack timings.  I try not to attack until I feel I understand them a little.

EDIT: If someone suddenly starts landing hits on you that means they've learned your timing so you have to adjust your own attack style.

EDIT: If two very very good pvp players fight eachother it really boils down to who can learn the timings, adjust their own timings, and predict the attacks of the other person which is never what you visually see on the screen.  The real battle occurs in the minds of the fighters.

Archived